Bible authority and Historical accounts

I didnt say historical proof of what the religious text claims. Historical truth about the even that happened. Unless i didnt understand correctly. As time passes my English are getting bad lol

Mine too! …

1 Like

Reason why I’m showing these images is to help clarify the questions about why is there not a lot of historical accounts on the people in the New Testament.

The first image is a image of one angle of the earth. There are many others. The second one has a tiny red circle, that’s where 90% of the new test took place around. The final one shows even now just how much “wasteland” there is.

It’s unbelievable that the small red circle even managed to find its way in America 2000 years later. There are hundreds of thousands of other little red circles about amazing people, empires overthrown, and power warlords and warriors and little off shoot faiths that never made it 100 years or 100 miles away.

1 Like

Also consider that the letters were just a few letters. Those letter had to be carried by foot or horse to different places and copied by hand. It would take a few days just to copy the text and have it sent from one side of the red circle to the other.

By the time the letters was wrote just a few thousands were believers. The majority were not. Most people would have brushed off another tiny villages claim of something supernatural. Then during this time, the most powerful nation on the planet then In that area begin to kill Christians and Jews and they fled into hiding in the mountains. They would not hardly be able to write letters and carry it. To be caught was to be murdered along with your family.

I understand this but thats not the case. If we are to have that debate arround the ressurection of the saints we are talking about things that happened inside the city and been several people. So it wasnt in the wasteland or in the outskirts of the city

Good point. Just keep in mind that if is claimed that ‘the locusts covered the whole earth’ … or ‘the whole world is going over to him…’ that such claims don’t literally mean what, on the surface, they appear to say. So they wouldn’t pass muster in a court of law as such or by today’s journalistic standards. But the fact that it didn’t actually happen as claimed does not mean (as you correctly observe) that they don’t refer to very real events and real impressions left on the observers at the time.

Yeah but what is the hyperbole here? Ok there wasnt a ressurection of people going to the city.What wad the actual event then?

The resurrected ‘bodies’ roaming around the city just after Jesus died is a bit of a mysterious passage (if it isn’t extravagent hyperbole about the significance of Jesus’ death). [Not that it is possible to overstate the significance of Jesus’ crucifixion, but if one needs to convey that ‘heaven and earth were moved by this’, typical words may fail a person - and who knows how their narrative traditions of story telling would handle it. Even now, we understand what somebody is claiming about an event if they tell us ‘the earth stood still’, or ‘the sun stopped shining’ even while fully understanding those things don’t literally do that.] Had that been a literal event, one would think it might have warranted at least some mention in the other gospels and not just in Matthew. But there are other significant things too, such as the raising of Lazarus, which only get attention from one of the four gospels. Of course that one is relayed with plenty of personal detail - a complete account in its own right by John, and not just a vague ‘aside’ as the Matthew resurrections were that didn’t pursue it to the point of even just providing a single name.

1 Like

So what do we get from that expect that its a mysterious passage? We have no historical accounts and cant use hyperbol here because we dont actually know if it happened

What I’m saying is ‘so what if it didn’t really happen?’ I hear what you’re saying … you want to go from there to say (as many skeptics easily do) “well, if we can’t take these ‘small’ details as literally true, then why should we believe Jesus’ resurrection itself has any truth to it?” What I would recommend doing is discerning what the gospel of Matthew is about. Is it about the risen life of ‘many’ un-named bodies of some saints? Or is it about Christ? Given where nearly all Matthew’s time is spent (not to mention the other three gospels) we are safe in concluding it is the latter. We are given a lot of testimonial evidence for the life of Christ. We are given none for this one brief mention of these others. You should be able to draw some conclusion from that.

3 Likes

Not really. I just dont find an answer as to why would he put that verse in if it didnt happen. I would have understood why if it was a allegory or something poetic but its clearly not

I think many of us are raised in the belief the Bible is God’s faultless word without any errors, that the Holy Spirit dictated every word. The realization the Bible is written by people, composed by people and stamped by people as God’s faultless word in the 4th century and that nothing indicated God approved the establishment of the canon can be hard to swallow, at least it was for me. Does that cause fear? Absolutely. I had to reinvent my faith.

1 Like

Maybe Bible scholars can provide more insight into why writers did things like this. Just on the human level (speaking for myself, and at the risk of sounding irreverent to some regarding scriptures); since Matthew obviously followed Mark so closely, it is illuminating to see what Mark wrote at the same point. Mark tells of the ripping of the temple curtain at that moment and no more. No darkened sunshine (only in Luke and Matthew). No splitting rocks or earthquakes (only in Matthew). It makes me think that the later writers were thinking their prior compatriots fell short in describing just how significant this event was … surely they could do better! And then curiously, John - the one and latest gospel that we might then expect to give the most grandiose descriptions of all only has Jesus declaring “It is finished” and bowing his head … then giving the rest of the account to the soldiers carrying out their crucifixion routines to make sure everybody’s dead. I think this was brilliant on the Johanian author’s part. No focus on darkened suns, rock splitting earth quakes, raised dead … no no … the entire focus is on one and only one figure. The simple, naked man, mocked, scorned, and hanging there and his one phrase that lays waste to all our other grandiose obsessions and distractions: “it is finished.” It’s almost as if John is mocking the world’s clamor after signs and earthquakes … peoples both present and ever still obsessed in later ages (even now) … John essentially telling us: “yeah; you’re still not getting it.”

It is finished.

That’s the only truly great work you need focus on. Tie yourself up in knots about fundamentalisms or textual certainties of this or that if you must. But when you’re done chasing around after all that, come back to the (now empty) cross and then set your gaze on the Risen one. Follow him. And that will be all you need worry about.

2 Likes

Mervin emphasizing on Christ is a must and all christians are doing it. But thats not a thing to rule out curiosity about the other verses in the bible

2 Likes

There is no reason to believe an account like that would have shaken the world and survived 2000 years. Even in the city. It’s also not in-depth. How many? Did four, or maybe just two people
Resurrect from the dead and come to their family and a few disciples?

Jesus own disciples did not recognize him on the street.

Also, there are 6,000,000,000+ people on this planet that could come back from the dead and sit down with me and have a meal and I would have no idea.

Theres no reason not to.

If im not mistaken the text says they were seen by people. So it clearly was a bodily ressurection.

So?

Our pastor referenced Ezekiel 37 in a recent sermon focused on returning to church fellowship using this text from Exekiel’s prophesy of Isreal returning to Zion from captivity, and I made the connection that perhaps this very difficult scripture of the dead coming out of their tombs is linking back to that, and showing that Jesus is restoring us back into the Kingdom of God, back to Zion, through his death and resurrection. In that sense, the meaning here is not just bodily resurrection, but the spiritual resurrection that we also share in. More to still unpack, but food for thought.
Ezekiel 37
The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones.
He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry.
He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” I said, “O Sovereign LORD, you alone know.”
Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, `Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD!
This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life.
I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.’”
So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone.

3 Likes

If so mister Phill then its a hidden connection. The Ezekiel one i think its really clear speaking about the returning of the poeple. But thats not the case here with Matthew

I don’t think Matthew adds these details to make his story more convincing. If anything, they make it more apocalyptic, more hyper-real in the sense of transcending the real. And this is a pattern with Matthew. Just as he ends with many saints being raised after Jesus’ death, he begins with many innocents being killed after Jesus’ birth. Both scenes are completely unique to his gospel.

Similarly, Matthew freely changes details or adds precision not present in his sources. When he tells the story of Jesus and the Syrophoenician woman, he makes her a Canaanite (never mind that Canaanites didn’t exist in this time period). This helps his readers grasp Jesus’ different perspective on what to do with Canaanites and their children.

Other gospels saw a connection to a prophecy when Jesus rides into Jerusalem, but Matthew takes the prophecy hyper-literally. It speaks of a king “riding on a donkey; on a colt, the foal of a donkey” (Zechariah 9:9), which read normally is a single animal described with poetic parallelism. But Matthew alone shows us Jesus riding both animals, somehow straddling both a donkey and its colt as he rides into town. It’s not a detail added to make the account more believable! Instead, it double-underlines with a thick Sharpie how this is the king Zechariah spoke of.

We still do stuff like this today. Movies based on real people’s lives will still take some license in order to arrange events in a way that makes the historical person’s character shine through more clearly. It’s not lying. It’s a way to convey truth that might get obscured in a more prosaic historical treatment.

When it comes to Matthew 5 and the “I have not come to abolish but fulfill” speech, I think Matthew is portraying Jesus as far more in line with Paul than some other gospels. That speech is radical, but it’s easy to miss that if we read it apart from its Jewish context. I got into that more in an old thread here. Or you can see my fuller treatment in an old paper:

I’d say two. John has the raising of Lazarus as an event that leads the Pharisees to further oppose Jesus. Luke includes it in one of Jesus’ parables as something that wouldn’t convince the rich man’s brothers (i.e., “the Pharisees, who were lovers of money,” Luke 16:14). But that’s probably a whole ’nother rabbit trail.

3 Likes

Yea the problem here is that hyper-literaly. Like what do we mean about that? That an event happened literally and Matthew hyperbolic it ? Its the same thing i stated to mervin in a previous post