Best Atheist Objections to Theism

Well, yes, yours is just a story. How telling it is that people prayed about a translator rather than a supernatural gift of understanding and communicating in Turkish. There are many unlikely coincidences. Just last week there was a story about two women walking/jogging near a cemetery that were killed by a lightning strike. What are the chances of that happening?

FYI link to the story:

Primarily, I suggest your reasoning is flawed in that you claim to speak on behalf of every single person who has ever or does (or will) exist. I can certainly claim that my experience, and my interpretation and perception of my experiences, does not contradict the above beliefs. You know that every single person who ever has, does, or will ever live will have experiences that contradict the traditional beliefs about god?

Moreover, I’d be curious how (in affirming possibility of deism but denying any theistic concept of god) you can claim with some kind of certainty that God has never spoken in some sort of direct way with anyone who has ever lived on the face of the earth. The Bible records all manner of such interactions, miracles, and such that reveal God to be one involved more in this world. You believe that all of these are false, because… why exactly? Because you presume that God would never, and has never, done such a thing? You somehow know that he has never, and will never, reveal himself directly to anyone?

Finally, a minor but niggling point… “Omni-benevolent” is an unfortunate neologism that has somehow crept into modern philosophical discussions of god. This was never a traditional statement of Christian belief about God, it seems to me more often used by skeptics or atheists than by Christians, and this is quite problematic. It is at best an unintentional straw man, a claim about “what Christians believe” that Christians have never historically claimed.

1 Like

This may well be correct and I think you are in a better position to know than I. It certainly seems logically flawed on the face of it since with most moral dimensions, what is best is usually a golden mean between extremes. “Omni-benevolent” seems to imply “maximally generous”. One might well wonder if excessive benevolence might likely lead to dependence and ultimately be disempowering.

But for what it’s worth, as someone whose church experience ended before becoming literate, something like this was one of the strong impressions I walked away with. Left to think about what I’d heard, the impression I formed of Jesus was that he was “morally best”, and that our own moral development was his primary concern. Of course you can’t leave it to illiterate children to decide theology, but the impressions a church makes on its least formed might still be one way to judge its impact.

1 Like

Well said. In hopes of not overstating, just that this has become a certain pet peeve of mine. In any list of God’s attributes until very recently, you could always find 3 “Omni” adjectives… omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient. I happened to try searching the historical usage of some terms in google books (just now realized you can do this), the results are pretty obvious:

One issue is that the term is claimed to be synonymous with “all morally good”, but as you noticed, it seems to imply “maximally generous” or the like. Google tells me the synonyms for benevolent, after all, are kind, kindly, kindhearted, warmhearted, tenderhearted, big-hearted, etc…

I had never heard this word except from the writings of atheists (and then occasionally from Christian apologists responding to atheists). I suspect the word was attractive as it makes it easier to “prove” God’s logical nonexistence, as all one needs to do is find a single example where God was not as generous or nice as conceivably possible, and your work is done. Read genesis 6 and there it is, proof positive, that God is not “omnibenevolent,” but the critical has only succeeded in proving the non existence of a God that Christians don’t believe in.

Unfortunately, I fear the term simply muddies waters and leads away from clear and useful dialogue. Thus why this is relevant to Vlad’s argument above. I would agree with him that - if we Christians did claim that God was “Omni benevolent, omnipotent, and omniscient,” - then any human in the entire history of the world who ever experienced even the slightest discomfort would prove that such a God would not exist.

2 Likes

Spot-on. An omnibenevolent god is a strawman god of the cheapest construct. I love the plot, and will likely steal it!

2 Likes

And now that I’m having fun playing with this feature of google books I just discovered… here’s a chart comparing historic use of the three traditional words (omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent) against omnibenevolent, since either 1750 or 1920…

2 Likes

Sorry again, Mitchell, I don´t know why this keeps happening!

Depends. This requires the so-called “existential inertia”. Once you exist, nothing keeps you in existence. Problem is from the view of a neo-aristotelian, that this requires the rejection of “essentialism”, basically the claim that the whole is different than the parts, holism instead of reductionism. But even if we meet in the middle, God holds our existence up, while he doesn´t intervene in human affairs, deism would be impossible.

Depends also. Judaism clearly states that God is responsible for both good and evil. I´d also say that the one necessarily requires the other. The statement “A is good” is meaningless if it can´t be contrasted by something evil. Third, I´d say that Gods goodness is analogous. God is good on that view is the same as “God exists”. That´s the view of St.Thomas Aquinas and although it might sound strange at first, this is actually the best way I ever found for grounding something like objective morality, when goodness is equivalent to “being”. An act becomes evil if I prevent you from following what is natural to you. For example: In your natural state you have the actual ability to walk. My action of hurting your legs is thereby objectively evil, since I prevent you from actualizing natural abilities.

Directly in the next passage:

What makes you think that this is analogous to the question if God exists? Were you a Mormon? Because the material deity on another planet is the only equivalent conception I could find. In which way is that comparable from the monotheistic God, who is immaterial, theground of existence and necessary?

Gonna save that post, Daniel! Thanks a lot!

Well, that’s an interesting response. Let me turn this argument around, and lets say that I am claiming to have divine powers. What would be a reasonable approach to testing my claim, in your opinion?

Since you can’t know what every single person who has ever lived or currently lives experiences, perhaps I can claim to be able to answer prayers and grant people their wishes. After all, this claim cannot be tested based on the premise that you (or I) can’t possibly know what every single person experiences.

I believe Bible claims are false for the same reason you would claim my claim is false.

Lets take a specific promise of Jesus.

John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Here Jesus is making several promises that can easily be tested. If you ask Jesus to heal amputees or Down’s syndrome, you will find that no healing will take place. Which is the same thing that would happen if you ask ME to heal amputees or Down’s syndrome. If this test is not sufficient to test a claim, then I’d be curious about your methodology to test this.

Of course, we can’t really test Deism claims, because Deism pretty much agrees that God is not detectable today. But we can certainly test prayer answering claims of personal Gods.

Maybe there’s something I’m not getting but even if the universe could be said to have only a minute chance of existing we still can’t explore those cases because we live in the case where the Universe DOES exist.

As an atheist I can say that my reason for not being a believer is simply lack of evidence in support. I can think of arguments like the problem of evil, but if I apply simple skepticism where any claim has a burden of proof then I simply don’t see sufficient evidence to warrant such a belief. So the argument I see as the strongest is divine hiddenness; If there is a god that wants us to know he exists why is the evidence lacking?

2 Likes

Physicalism is not atheist as it does not logically start from theism. Theism cannot touch it. Claim equality with it. Let alone superiority to it. It can only come begging alongside in its shadow. Its appeal, if any, is from there. In humility. In yearning. In Jesus.

Atheism from theism is far more fraught. It is an inevitable consequence of deconstruction and almost impossible to reconstruct theism from without cognitive bias like Thomism and related fallacies. If at all. Its only honest reconstruction is in yearning, submission, choice; the leap of faith. In the last thing let out of Pandora’s box.

The best atheist objection to theism is that there is no evidence for it. No requirement. It explains nothing at all, nothing that rationalism beyond empiricism doesn’t, at infinitely greater cost. The only theist claim worth the candle is Jesus. And He can only be believed in by faith.

Some of us know the game is rigged.

Maybe we have to want to know him, and have to humble ourselves to his terms.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.

Psalm 19:1-2

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Romans 1:20

Maybe we have to want to know him, and have to humble ourselves to his terms.

But then he DOESN’T want me to know he exists. What you are saying is that you are supposed to believe FIRST and then let confirmation bias do the rest. I think we can all agree that that is a terrible idea for every other proposed claim in the world. I wouldn’t need some undeniable proof to believe. Just the same amount reasonable evidence that anyone would ask for any claim lest they be called gullible. So the problem remains, if there is a god and I can’t find sufficient evidence then I’m not SUPPOSED to believe. That is the point.

1 Like

The point of the two verses cited is that there already is enough evidence (not proof… but why that is was referenced, too). Check your messages.

There is a difference between having enough evidence and accepting that evidence and coming to know him.

Some biases are correct. :wink: We all have confirmation bias in accord with our worldviews.

“…arent any atheists.” Ive had a time, with the idea that anyone really - really believes in whatever god they’ve chosen.

Wanting to believe ( love, win at gambling, whatever) is step one in self deception.

Equivocation with the word " faith" is so tiresome

How am I deceiving myself in wanting to believe?

1 Like

If God is God, why would God have anything to do with me?