Beauty as evidence against evolution?

The view of evolution is becoming more nuanced at the highest levels. But the impression of evolution often springs from a very low level exposure to a very general, introductory course in biology.

This excerpt [with my bolding] from my reading in Iain McGilchrist’s The Matter With Things sheds some light on just how random the process might actually be, citing molecular biologist, James A. Shapiro:

Everything depends on an organism’s capacity to be flexible and responsive to its environment, just as the environment, both living and non-living, is responsive to organisms. It is this combination of interlocking responses that ensures stability. ‘There is now good experimental evidence’, write Jablonka and Lamb, ‘as well as theoretical reasons, for thinking that the generation of mutations and other types of genetic variation is not a totally unregulated process.’184 A seminal paper asserts that ‘not all genome changes occur at random and that cells possess specific mechanisms to optimize their genome in response to the environment’185 – not even the gene actively optimising the cell, but the cell actively optimising its genes. In a now famous paper in Nature it was claimed that ‘cells may have ways of choosing which mutations occur’, and they can ‘learn from experience’.186 Another has shown that ‘bacteria that have lost their flagella through deletion of the relevant DNA sequence can evolve the regulatory networks required to restore flagella and so restore motility in response to a stressful environment within just four days’.187

In Shapiro’s phrase, cells and organisms have evolved to become, ‘cognitive (sentient) entities that act and interact purposefully to ensure survival, growth and proliferation’.188 Evolution itself is an ‘intelligent’ process (he describes it as not only ‘cognitive’ and ‘sentient’, but ‘thoughtful’). According to him, a twenty-first-century view of evolution implies

a shift from thinking about gradual selection of localized random changes to sudden genome structuring by sensory network- influenced cell systems … It replaces the ‘invisible hands’ of geological time and natural selection with cognitive networks and cellular functions of self-modification. The emphasis is systemic rather than atomistic, and information-based rather than stochastic [random].189

This is not only plausible, but no form of ‘heresy’. According to Denis Noble, Darwin ‘was concerned that he did not know the origin of variation and he acknowledged the existence of other mechanisms, including the inheritance of acquired characteristics.’190 In The Origin of Species, he had written:

I placed in a most conspicuous position – namely, at the close of the Introduction – the following words: ‘I am convinced that natural selection has been the main but not the exclusive means of modification.’ This has been of no avail. Great is the power of steady misrepresentation; but the history of science shows that fortunately this power does not long endure.191

184 Jablonka & Lamb 2005 (80).
185 Jack, Cruz, Hull et al 2015 (emphasis added).
186 Cairns, Overbaugh & Miller 1988. See also Foster 1998; and Goodwin 1994.
187 Taylor, Mulley, Dills et al 2015. The paper is cited by Noble (2017), who continues: ‘Specifically, Taylor et al show that deletion of FleQ (Flagellar transcriptional regulator) in Pseudomonas fluorescens, and starvation of the bacteria, produces mutations that enable the regulatory role to be taken over by a different pathway, normally involved in nitrogen uptake and assimilation. The genes required to produce flagella are then reactivated by the new regulatory pathway. The authors interpret their work as showing how selection can rapidly produce this kind of substitution to restore activation of flagella genes. But, equally clearly, the mutations are targeted in a remarkably precise way. They are not randomly occurring anywhere in the genome’ (emphasis added).
188 Shapiro 2011 (143).
189 ibid (146).
190 Noble 2017.
191 Darwin 1872 (421).

4 Likes

I’d say many Christian people who are proponents OF evolution believe that evolution displays beauty, and a particular way about who God is.

4 Likes

Is this true of all iterative process, or just some?

Where did all those pretty colors come from? Were they randomly generated?

And would the picture still be beautiful without them, or if it was all the same color?

I find that beauty’s concept is confusing to me. My older son (15 years old), for example, loves things being done fast and efficiently, but hates anything slow! I’ll point out some autumn trees to him, and he is non impressed. However, he’s the most hilarious of all my kids, and has endless ideas for fun. My second son, in prayers, takes delight in throwing in all the details he can in talking to God about prayer requests–and that drives his brother crazy!. I’d like to read more about that.

IOW they adjust the parameters to fit the explanations.

This is why no one will answer my challenge to define what the evolutionary change is. It is what it has to be!

I am sorry, but the more I see on this forum, the more I am certain that evolutionary theory has just spiralled out of control. It has to be the ultimate cure-all and as such it had itself evolved to encompass all the variations that are needed.

So what is now being suggested indirectly is that a variation comes complete with variables. I am guessing along the Mendelian heredity principle, so that colour can intensify or fade depending on the parent genes, likewise lengths or basic parameters so that there is no need to wait for a new deviation. It would solve quite a few developmental problems

More and more I see deviations promoted like a Plug and play module with all ancillary systems already in place. The jaw bone comes complete with muscles and nerves and the ability to use them. The conclusion being that although Evolution is unguided the underlying source (DNA) code was written by God. It is so fundamental to life it would seem to be impossible for it to be a cosmic fluke. All Evolution has to do is stumble upon the right code at the right time.

Richard

What do you propose in lieu of evolutionary theory to explain the diversity of life forms?

From the outside, it sometimes seems to me that the creationist reflex is even more of an exercise in plug and play.

Hi Richard,

“Evolution” doesn’t need to be intelligent because females are :wink:
And female preferences can evolve by the common mechanism of natural selection (sexual selection is considered to be a subcategory of natural selection), if those preferences lead to more offspring for the female. That is the case if features of feathers (their length, pigmentation) reflect qualities of the male, as they do in the peacock, for example. You are correct that there is an aspect of feedback to this type of sexual selection because any initial female preferences can evolve alongside the traits of the males she selects.

cheers

9 Likes

This also reminds me of Conan Doyle’s Holmes’ talk on beauty. However, it feels a bit like pareidolia, a term I recently learned :slight_smile: (finding visual anthropomorphism where there is none)

What a lovely thing a rose is!"

He walked past the couch to the open window and held up the drooping stalk of a moss-rose, looking down at the dainty blend of crimson and green. It was a new phase of his character to me, for I had never before seen him show any keen interest in natural objects.

“There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as religion,” said he, leaning with his back against the shutters. "It can be built up as an exact science by the reasoner. Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.”

― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Naval Treaty - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story

3 Likes

Hi Randy,
Yes, sexual selection is a fascinating topic with interesting paradoxes. A trait of a male might be initially selected because it is a cue of his physical health, and such males may have better survival and so be selected by females. But as the trait becomes more elaborate over time with this “feedback loop” as female select it, males (because of competition with other males) develop more elaborate forms of the trait and at some point it can become increasingly costly that it actually reduces the male’s survival to some extent (e.g. peacocks with long tails can’t fly as fast to escape predators as peacocks with short tails). However, since the basis of natural selection (and evolution) is simply success at transmitting genes to the next generation, as long as the increased number of mating opportunities that an “elaborated” male can get outweighs his somewhat shorter lifespan, that “long tail trait” will continue to persist.

In some systems (often called “Fisherian runaway selection”), the trait may become unlinked from physical performance of the male and then reflect only his mating success (attractiveness to females). It is selected by the female because her sons will inherit that trait and be perceived as attractive by other females and her sons will transmit more genes into subsequent generations. It’s called the “sexy sons” hypothesis! Wikipedia has a little entry about it.

Yes, and it is true that some animals like the fish you mention have two morphological forms of males, the typical large, territorial males that fight to hold territories on which females will visit to lay their eggs. But also small “sneaker” males which are cryptic and can sneak onto a large male’s territory as a female is laying eggs, and before the large male moves in to fertilize the eggs, the small and agile male darts in to deposit his own sperm…“stealing” the fertilization from the large male. So, there is frequency-dependent selection in the population on the number of large males vs. sneaker males (it is controlled by different alleles whether a male develops into the large morph or the sneaker morph).

best

6 Likes

Not in lieu.

I oppose TOE (Scientific version) as opposed to some sort of Theistic (God version). I have not proposed a specific theistic model.

Richard

Pretty cool stuff. So, does Old Spice constitute a Fisherian runaway, or a true advantageous marker of genetic fitness?

Awesome, thank you. That brings back good memories of the class. I appreciate it.

8 Likes

Well I think science is only fit to tell us about what we’re seeing and stuff about that which may not be obvious from a glance. But no one knows exactly how everything came to be from the get go, neither science nor religion. An adequate account of reality should dip into both those wells IMO.

Oh man, Larson always has a wonderful take on things, doesn’t he!

4 Likes

I almost stopped watching when they got to Darwin and peacocks because peacocks can be explained by natural selection. To use that quote to argue against evolution is to ignore a century of scientific learning.

Then there’s this concept of “gratuitous beauty”, which is bogus because it’s a purely subjective human assessment.

Then it goes into the fallacious argument about randomness. The comparison with Michaelangelo shows the flaw: just as the artist is a filter between randomness and order, so natural selection is also a filter.

There’s also a strand of ancient Greek philosophy going on, the idea that beauty is something with its own existence as oppose to being a subjective standard based on human emotion.

5 Likes

It also raises the question of why there is gratuitous ugliness.

7 Likes

This is key. The speaker fails to examine the flip side of the question, namely what would the effect of the opposite of beauty be? Genetically, deformity is generally an indication of lack of fitness for being a mate, so anything that appears to be deformity would be selected against – and if apparent deformity is selected against, then by default beauty will get selected.

Absolutely. To be a valid comparison, pictures using colors would have to be judged by buyers millions of times, with each new iteration arising from the previously selected one(s).

3 Likes
  • The thing I found nefarius in the opening quote was the near complete lack of context given to it.
1 Like

The bolded statement demonstrates a deep lack of understanding if what evolution actually says, on a level matching the deliberate misrepresentation done by YEC advocates.

There are multiple explanations for the development of the primate jaw, and none of them leap from “no jaw at all” to “jaw bone . . . complete with muscles and nerves and the ability to use them”. What they all share is an element that is basic to evolutionary theory: they are all incremental.

Any explanation that is not incremental is not evolutionarily correct, so the “Plug and play module with all ancillary systems already in place” notion has nothing to do with evolution.

5 Likes

Just as with beauty, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. What looks ugly to a human may be extreme beauty to the female of the specific species.

3 Likes