Are there sins God forgives less?

Thank you for your response. The question was 'Are there sins God forgives less?"

I mentioned John 19:11 to illustrate the words of Jesus himself regarding greater sin which implies lesser sin. Jesus’ statement here indicates that even the worst evil cannot escape the sovereignty of God. Although Pilate was responsible for his actions to Christ, Caiaphas, who had planned the entire plot to kill Christ, had committed a greater sin and would be more accountable to God. For the unsaved - their are degrees of sin.

Sin in its basic sense is always ultimately against God himself rather than against any person - even for the unsaved.

The Bible invariably regards sin as both universal and pervasive. So if we take this position, not all sin is the same but vary in degree - but all sin is against God equally.

For the unsaved who turns to Christ in repentance there is forgiveness. In time there is also an awareness of a greater or lesser sin committed that has now been forgiven. Christ in response to a woman weeping and cleaning his feet - noted greater thankfulness arises because of the realization of great sin even greater forgiveness.

I raised the difficult question of habitual sin - where ultimately there is no forgiveness. I can only go to scripture, Hebrews 2-3 and as I stated the warning is very real but I admit there are various views on these verses. Have a blessed day

2 Likes

It is a difficult question, no doubt about that. Where I have a problem isn’t with the concept, but with the way that people tend to apply it. (Speaking in general, not you specifically.) I’m glad that you mentioned the woman who washed Jesus’ feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. Almost without exception, when we apply the label “habitual sinner” to someone, we are sitting in the seat of the Pharisee, who could not understand why Jesus would allow a prostitute to touch him. I think the warnings of Heb. 2-3 (actually, throughout the book) are meant for the individual, encouraging each of us to search our own hearts and repent and be saved. The warnings are not given so that we can try to decipher who is or isn’t forgiven by God. That is sheer presumption. (Again, not accusing you of this, but it is common.)

You’re right that there are various views on these verses. For me, I think the end of Hebrews 3 sums up the reason why the Israelite’s consciences were hardened, and the ultimate reason why they were habitually disobedient:

“And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

2 Likes

http://www.online-literature.com/george-macdonald/unspoken-sermons/4/
Is a great sermon on this topic if you were interested.

Attributing the work of Christ to Satan.