Are theists less intelligent?

Thanks for taking the time to reply @sfmatheson. Clearly, I wasn’t communicating what I meant as effectively as I could have been. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. Best wishes to you.

1 Like

I do not. I KNOW there are people more intelligent than me who disagree with me on a great number of things. What I think, is that intelligence isn’t everything. Of course, many if not most of the things we believe, we believe because we have reasons to think they are correct – that is certainly true for me. But besides intelligence, there is a matter of personal experience and I think this is the more significant factor than intelligence. But our experiences differ a great deal. And I think an even bigger factor in the differences between what people believe is that there are just different ways of looking at the same thing. I also think that reality is not exclusively objective but that there are irreducibly subjective aspects of reality. In other words some of the reasons we believe differently is because reality is not precisely the same for everyone.

4 Likes

I disagree with you on this…because…well I guess I’m just more intelligent…

:wink:

No, you make a good point.

2 Likes

has anyone found the original study?

hard to comment intelligibly to “face one’s accuser” (so to speak) on vague indefinite charges?

@sfmatheson posted a link at the beginning of this thread

Hello Marta. I too have “heard” or read this assertion about the relationship between theism and intelligence. I did Google this issue, and there is a typo in your remarks. Of the total 63 studies that were reviewed – by a Cornell Univ professor in 2013 — the findings were that of 63 studies done, researchers determined “so far there is no clear consensus” between theism and intelligence or between non-theism and intelligence.

The Cornell professor is named William Briggs and he critiques what he calls “the mixing of data which should not be mixed, because nobody has any idea how to make these connections.”

He goes on to explain why he says what he says. Of the 63 studies he examined, 35 found a positive correlation between intelligence and lack of theistic belief, while 26 studies showed no significant relationship between intelligence and religious belief, and 2 showed a positive relationship between religious belief and intelligence.

Google it …

Shawn…the post by Marta has a typo in it…see below.

good point Christy

Dear Robin,
Thanks for this, but the typo does not impact my remarks. My comments are more based on the thework.org and Byron Katie’s writings. Her work is about breaking down bias and preconceived notions. Those raised in a dogmatic world have more barriers to break down than those who were not. Statistically they are less likely to look at the world unbiased.
Best Wishes, Shawn

Hello Robin

I wouldn’t call it a typo. I knew what I was saying, although it looks like it was incorrect. It was based on several headlines in several major newspapers in the UK. I suppose one could say I should know better.
Thanks for the info.
Marta

No problem, Marta. There are always a lot of options for data online!! Newspapers love headlines that sizzle and attract controversy/hence readers…and the reported “conclusion” seemed bound to bring just that!!

I do like that it was followed up on…would that they print the results of the follow-up but that is less sexy.

You must live in the U.K.? Well, have a nice day…and a great weekend.

1 Like

Thanks, Shawn. And granted. But you did say you had “seen anecdotal evidence that supports this.” If the evidence you have seen supported the initial thought that studies revealed (in an irrefutable and conclusive way) that higher intelligence (by some ranking) exists amongst non-theists than among theists — then this evidence is not supported by the data that was initially brought up.

I looked up the site you mentioned —utilizing “the wisdom that is within me.” (joke…!!)

Your conclusion seems to be that those “raised in a dogmatic world” have certain issues to work through. Granted…they would. We all do, truth be told. That actually could apply to non-theists as much as theists. That would be a whole other discussion.

One does not have to live in UK to access UK newspapers…but I do🙂 that could explain why I post at what appears to be middle of the night lol

Those of us on the other side of the world do not so much notice what time of night you post at. Sleep well, in that case!!

1 Like