Appropriate topics for discussion on the Forum

Sure but you make me wait four hours to create a new topic.

That’s very much on purpose.

1 Like

I wanted to ask you. Does Biologos get hacked much?

Sorry for going off topic, Brad. I’ll try not to delve into political and ethical issues and just stick to the topics at hand…

-Tim

Yes, I would like to discuss “harmonizing science with faith” again. Everytime discussions go down rabbit holes, I get the feeling the Jerry Coyne is possibly correct in that it is impossible to harmonize science with any faith. But it worth a try as it is sad to see YEC children having to struggle in the secular world when they realize they have been lied to both in the science and their faith.

I concur with and support this policy. I will re-double my efforts to be more disciplined in confining my writings to the relevant topics!

Keep up the good work, @BradKramer

George Brooks

1 Like

@BradKramer,

I must agree that the topics mentioned in your general comment are not appropriate here. If individuals wish to discuss these topics, they should find blogs that deal with them. I would say that this is a discussion about how God created the universe and anything else there may be. It is a discussion of faith and scientific evidence and how they can fit together. Also, I do not mean to insult anyone; on the contrary, I am just stating what seems to be the fact. God bless and Happy Holidays. Charles E. Miller AKA Henry Wynns.

Brad,
New article. WOuld this be appropriate for discussion?

@BradKramer, @Patrick, @Eddie,@TimothyHicks, @aleo
May I make a suggestion? Perhaps the article can be discussed in a way to show how BioLogos can be a witness to the young that evolution is creationism too and that we do not need to separate ourselves from faith to believe in a scientific theory that seems to be true. We could discuss Darwin to show that his form of evolution may not fit all the facts of creation. This would not be the God of gaps; on the contrary, it would show that there must be a First Cause for things to be. Logic would also show this. Remember that 0+0= 0. A creator would be needed to bring something from nothing. Time seems that it may in an eternal way have no beginning. As I see it, there must be both temporal time and eternal time. Something living and thinking that is eternal and greater than all time must be behind what exists. These are just my thoughts. Evolutionists can be Theistic and do not have to be agnostic and atheistic. Aristotle, a non-Christian, even believed in a creator God or First Cause. Perhaps God was using him as He used the King of Persia in the Book of Esther to bring His truth to us. Equation: Creator + 0= Creation.

Yes, absolutely. In fact, I would love it if you would start a discussion about that article. I read it today and wasn’t happy about it. Start a new topic.

@henry,

Sounds good to me. Start a new topic to discuss it.

Sure, I will do that but you need to open up my ability to create new topics. The four hour rule is an unnecessary annoyance.

I went to create a new topic and now it is 12 hours. If you want it, you do it as I don’t have time for your moderator nonsense.

you sound like you do not want to submit to the rule of someone else, a bit like suffering from puberty where everything has to be now and by your terms.

1 Like

@Patrick,@Brad, @Eddie,@aleo

I must admit that Patrick’s article is a good one; however, it shows the sad condition of faith that prevails in our society today. I am sure you realize that it may require going outside of the envelope your established for us. As a philosopher of theology, I know it could cause us to discuss issues that could be negative, e.g., loss of faith of our younger people. We do need to consider that or do we?. I made some suggestions we could use to discuss the article earlier; however, the article deals with much more than origins and different possibility of origins. It would have to include the negativity that exists in our world today. I wish that Leo would join in on this. I respect all of you; however, Dr. Leo is also great in his thought. It is too bad he is not a part of this possible subject. I do hope he will join How can we convince the world that science and religion go hand in hand. One need not reject the Bible because of a method God used to make things what they are. Young minds are too influenced by a secular world, one that is turning it back on the Divine. I suppose we would have to go beyond your limits. How can we who are philosophers, scientists, theologians, and the like convince the world that there is more than the material world that we see. Something much greater than this. Our friend, Patrick, can take the football and run with it; however, this will involve more than origins, e.g., is the church failing in its mission to bring a Gospel to the world? Is this why are people our staying at home on Sundays and pretend that it is no more than any other day? I assure you that most of these people are not Jews or Seventh Day Adventists. They are reflecting the indifference our society has to faith, an indifference that is growing. They buy-in to Darwin’s treatise that the world came into existence on its own. Actually, that idea is impossible. Zero + Zero = Zero. It is an idea of contradiction. This is to say that our creation has a mind if it can cause things to evolve. What am I trying to say? The article is good; however, it could open up many ideas of thought that you may not want us to use. I would like to hear from the others whom I have addressed. As it is said: two heads (minds) are better than one. All of you must now excuse me. I am a diabetic and must eat my breakfast. God bless.

@Patrick, I hope you don’t mind … but I borrowed this link into my thread on “who are the 22%” …

George

I don’t think so. I am a secular humanist, a naturalist, a scientist, a none, as well as a heathen, a blasphemer, a heretic, a cultural Catholic (especially this time of year),

@Patrick,@Eddie, @aleo

I am sorry to hear that. I will have to say that I do not agree with you. This saddens me. I believe that I will withdraw from this group. It is not that I am afraid to speak with someone with your beliefs, but I just don’t have the time to try to move your mind. God gives us the free will to believe what we wish; however, I feel you have chosen the wrong path. A cultural Catholic will not give you life in the new heaven and new earth; it will only bring you spiritual death. Romans 10: 10-13 says the following:
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek (Gentile): for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

It is your right to believe what you wish. I just wish you would consider another option. You are a thinking person. Use that thought. I already have and made my decision. I used the KJV; however, I like most translations as a linguist and Biblical scholar. I used the KJV just because I like Elizabethan English. I wish you all the best. I hope this does not anger you. I just wanted to express my belief as you have expressed yours. Good luck and fare ye well.

Well, I want to wish you and your family well. And if I don’t get to converse with you again, please have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. And a healthy and happy 2016 to you and your family. Live long and Prosper.