And there was evening and there was morning?

The phrase “evening and morning” refers to the non-work hours between work days (e.g., sunset to sunrise). The phrase itself is not symbolic, except to represent the resting downtimes to enjoy and recoup from the work just done. The real symbolism has more to do with the big picture of the week. (This doesn’t exclude minor symbolisms along the way, but I think it’s a mistake to find symbolism in all the details.)

1 Like

The Jewish day begins at sundown, as does the Muslim day.

1 Like

It does today, but not originally. We don’t know when the change occurred (early for sure). Either way, they recognized a difference between a “full” day (24 hours) and a “proper” day (daylight hours).

Should I try to find out? (Not by noodling on the internet)

You can try, but scholars don’t really know. There’s a discussion in LeFebvre’s The Liturgy of Creation, but I don’t have specific page reference handy (nor articles I could link).

there are some significant problems in trying to claim that Genesis chapter 2 is not:

1. talking about literal creation in terms of days
  2. talking about the creation of man and animals within a fixed period of time that is not millions of years

here are just some of the obvious problems and reasons why they do not support the biologos theory.:

1. Genesis is a narrative…its writer (Moses) is describing exactly how the earth and our reality came into existence. The characters, surroundings, and the creator are very specifically defined. Even the fall of man is very specifically explained…these are not the words of a figurative story!

2. Genesis 2:3 “Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.”
    That sounds very much to me like a very specific day in which God blesses and rested…nothing figurative there

3. Genesis 2: 15 “Then the LORD God took the man and placed him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and keep it.”
    God picks him Adam up and places him inside the Garden of Eden after forming him from the dust of the ground

4. Genesis 2:18 The LORD God also said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make for him a suitable helper.”

5. Now for the biggy that i think is irrefutable in proving the creation story is a literal 7 days…(or at least supports the young earth theory)…Genesis2:19
    And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and He brought them to the man to see what he would name each one. And whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.

the significance of point number 5 above is this…if Adam only lived for 930 years, then:

1. it is not possible for all of the animals that Adam named to evolve within his own lifetime!
  2. God to bring them to him to see what he would name each one (if they took millions of years to evolve)

Also, according to Evolution theory quite a number of animals arrived on the scene before mankind…so if that is the case, then how could he have already named them?

I think that as time has progressed, theistic evolution has lost the support of the science in which it once found support. I have read some well known scientists who are not christian who completely debunct the theistic evolution idea…the reality is, its not well supported by either Christian or non Christian science!

I think that we now have far better explanations of our reality and how Christianity and Science can coexist…i would urge people here to look at “Is Genesis History” on youtube…its a great resource with a very good perspective on all of this.

Finally, the most important thing for all Christians is this, do not ever take authority from human science first. Ones first authority must be the bible.

If human science doesnt appear to agree with the bible, than the science is wrong!

So, if our premise is that evolutionary science is wrong, then why is it wrong and how do we fix that problem? The youtube channel Is Genesis History has some really good answers to these and many more questions!

2 Likes

Thank you Adam https://youtu.be/UM82qxxskZE

1 Like

There are significant problems with your take on Genesis.

You are presenting a Genesis 1 and 2 mashup, with God resting on the 7th day (your point 2) and THEN

God forming all the animals (your point 5)

So what’s up with that? (And no, you haven’t “debunct” anything).

1 Like

Thank you Adam for this easy read post. Going to watch the video also. Amen:

“Ones first authority must be the bible. If human science doesn’t appear to agree with the bible, than the science is wrong!”

1 Like

No, but nice dodge.

So that means the earth doesn’t move?

The comparison of water cutting through ash fall after Mt St Helens does not mean water can cut through solid rock at the same rate. The first can be observed in a human lifetime. The second can not. That right there tells you the video is not being honest.

2 Likes

50 s in. Observed in 5 m 55 s!

Bill II,
Are you a Bible pastor/teacher?

Sure, water under 60,000 psi (with probably the addition of abrasive grit). Not water gently rolling down a hill.

1 Like

No. Does that make a difference?

2 Likes

No, you don’t have to be a pastor/teacher of a church. But who and what is your authority of your beliefs?

The Bible of course. Now I feel like we have differing interpretations of the Bible but that is normal.

3 Likes

Our ears. As Simon and Garfunkel sang in The Boxer.

Yes Bill II, there are many interpretations of His Word. But there is only one explanation.
God is not the author of confusion. Many divide themselves according to their own opinions and beliefs. That is why we have so many churches out there in the world with different teachings. If people do not like something in His Word, people have chosen to follow another Jesus or a different gospel. But we will all be held responsible to our response to the Light that has come into the world.

John 1:9 KJV
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.