Analogies for Understanding the Christian Doctrine of the Trinity

Terry, my eyes crossed, and they’re stuck. Can you give me some help with what I can see or not or interpret?

1 Like
  • Sure, but you’ll have to wait, I want to see if Roymond is open to having his vision improved.
2 Likes

I know the question of whom to address in prayer is sometimes an issue. I’m not worried about the mechanics. Jesus gave us some good examples and told us to follow those. That seems adequate to me.

: )

Well, I see a squar in thar. Yeah. I think it really is a square, looking at some particular lines. Fascinating.
So some Greek parents give their kid a compass for Christmas one year, and Jr. P goes wild drawing concentric circles and tangential circles, and then playing with radii.
Well, I never came close with my compass. Too much tv, probably.

1 Like
  • Because it’s not immediately relevant to what I may or may not share with Roymond, I will point out here that the most obvious connection, IMO, is between Ezekiel’s wheels and each of the three wheels in the diagram I drew.
1 Like

What haven’t I recognized?

52302e878315a9b7f5f5fe5c331f780d279b240d_2_382x375

Each side of the triangle has an identical triangle built on it; the radius of the circle is the length of the side of the triangle (and thus each circle could have six identical triangles inscribed, three of which are shared with a second circle); each circle has eight smaller circles inside with the fifth being drawn slightly darker; each circle is divided into twelve equal sections . . .

none of which has much to do with the Trinity.

Ezekiel saw four wheels, not just three, and there were no triangles. Also, Ezekiel’s wheels had “eyes all around”. So I don’t see any connection with Ezekiel.

• As I said to Kendell, I’m not discussing Ezekiel’s wheels here and now. So do you really, really want me to talk about the difference between 3 wheels and 4 balls that have eyes all around them and form a pyramid?

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 20-24-21 Pyramid Made of Four Shiny Coloured Toy Balls Stock Image - Image of plastic concept 10067215

1 Like

That’s not in Ezekiel – the four living creatures formed a square.

Ezekiel is playing with some fairly standard material about heavenly being being enthroned; the wheels associated with a throne were one on each side of a square (or rectangular) throne, one on each of the cardinal directions – so the throne moved something like the cursor on an Etch-a-Sketch. And no balls involved.

(And it’s not God’s office chair.)

Oh – the point of the wheels is that God’s throne isn’t somehow stuck in Jerusalem, it can go anywhere.

Now you’re just being stubborn and trying to make my three wheels into Ezekiels wheels when I already said, that’s irrelevant here and now. IMO, the matter is dead and you can find someone else to thumb-wrestle with.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You ignored my substantive response, and if “3 wheels and 4 balls” post wasn’t about Ezekiel given that you talked about eyes all around then I have no clue what you’re on about because nothing prior to that had anything to do with balls or pyramids. All I see in your diagram is a deficient depiction of the Trinity using simple geometry.

Well, on the way to church we did run into (Encountered) one of these with wheels within wheels. We had to back off the bridge over the Looking Glass River to let it pass.

To city kids displaced in the country, we thought it was mighty impressive. But not to be mistaken for the All Mighty.

But we have veered far from the OP.

4 Likes

I think I see eyes within the circles!

3 Likes
  • You see nothing, Jon Snow!

Nice design but I’m not sure what it means. Three in one. Yada yada?

Oh I meant eyes in the circles driving the tracks of @Kendel’s monster vehicle.

1 Like
  • LOL! A McGilchristian starts a thread about “Analogies for Understanding the Christian Doctrine of the Trinity”
  • Kendell posts stuff that includes the well-known symbol for “The Trinity”.
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 07-09-28 Analogies for Understanding the Christian Doctrine of the Trinity - Faith & Science Conversation - The BioLogos Forum
  • Terry comes along and says: “Oh look, wheels!” and posts this:
  • And immediately, everybody goes brain-dead!
  • Then Kendell comes along and posts this:
    and worries about Wheels being off-topic.
  • Next, you come along and try to add to humor to your own thread by claiming to see “eye’s in the wheels” of Kendell’s tractor.
  • Then I come along and post one simple picture containing the ancient symbol for the Trinity that Kendell, first introduced, not me:
    • Remember this?
      Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 07-09-28 Analogies for Understanding the Christian Doctrine of the Trinity - Faith & Science Conversation - The BioLogos Forum
  • And my picture also contained this:
    Untitled-1
  • And just because you still can’t make the connections, all you can say is :
  • It means that you’re lost in unfamiliar country, and McGilchrist has given you a lot of blah-blah-blah, but he hasn’t given you a map, compass, or clues.
  • So, this is your sandbox and I don’t want to tell you how to play in your sandbox, but–no offense–I’m gonna take my toys and find another sandbox to play in.
1 Like

My goal is not to find the agreed upon explanations. I keep being told it is heresy to try to make sense of anything without parroting dogma. Not you in particular but that is my take away. Christians aren’t wondering about these things, they’re just checking for the fidelity of your script. So I’ve gotten bored here myself and am off to other things. Maybe I should have turned the light off.

1 Like

If it weren’t for the little wheels at the bottom, those treads would be three circles in a triangle – very trinitarian.

So was I supposed to see that if I added another circle as your bottom diagram does then I got something like the figure that Kendel posted?