All time favorite feel-good movie?

Hehe… I grew up hearing my dad quote Princess Bride ad nauseam, but fortunately that didn’t ruin it when I finally saw it for myself… just made it make a whole lot more sense. :smiley:

That’s an interesting take… Incredibles is one of my favorite Pixars (I’m never 100% sure what my favorite is), and I can kinda see where you’re coming from, but on the other side of that, the villain’s idea at the end was to make “everyone special,” and as he said, “when everyone’s special, no one will be.” The idea seems to be that either you can have superheroes, or you can have people that have conformity/normalcy imposed on them by others.

1 Like

What kind of scares me is that there is a whole generation of people born after 1995 or so now, who don’t even know what I am talking about when I quote things like, “Anybody want a peanut?”

2 Likes

One of my favorites is Guardians of the Galaxy. I like the escapism and tongue in cheek humor.

2 Likes

Strictly Ballroom

1 Like

It’s a children’s book, but every adult I know who has read it has loved it. It follows the theme “Be kind, because everyone is fighting a hard battle.”

About Lars and the Real Girl. I would let my teenager watch it with no qualms, but some people are concerned because the premise of the movie is that a mentally unbalanced protagonist orders a sex doll and believes she is real and he is dating her. (They have a chaste relationship; he believes she is a missionary.) So, the small town community has to deal with this awkward situation, like when he brings her to church with him. I know some people maybe would rather not explain the existence of sex dolls to children.

I think I can quote half of this movie, even though I’ve never seen it because my husband references it all the time.
“So you’re telling me there’s a chance?”
“We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off! —”
“Whoa, Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see you later!”

It is already making me laugh out loud. Who doesn’t need more of that? I think she can handle that but I’ll run it by her mom and dad.

Just thought of another one, “Fried Green Tomatoes”. Great character development which enables it to more effectively make us look at gender roles and prohibitions on who we can love.

Caution: some implied cannibalism.

1 Like

ummm…ribs!

1 Like

It’s the sauce!

2 Likes

My favourite feel-good movie is About Time.

Don’t be fooled by the rom-com cover. It will catch you by surprise a couple of times.

If you like Groundhog Day, this will one-up that by a couple of levels.

Relatively unknown, it is my strong recommendation.

1 Like

I did enjoy that movie. It didn’t quite grab me as strongly but it was certainly a good one!

The line that still gets me every time in that movie is “…and this green whore!”

(If you haven’t seen the movie, please don’t be offended; context is everything.)

I’m a little surprised. Groundhog Day is really, really good. But About Time hit me unexpectedly at least three times (I don’t want to say which times, because it will spoil the movie for someone who hasn’t seen it).

Lowered expectations might be part of why Groundhog Day worked so well for me. It starts off like crude slapstick and ends up a little overblown romantic by way of an unexplainable lapse in natural law. So many reasons that it shouldn’t work for me especially but I guess there is no accounting for taste.

2 Likes

I can never do just one. My faves are usually stories of redemption and second chances.

Drama - Hoosiers. Still can’t resist it.
Comedy - Muriel’s Wedding. It starts off as a comedy and becomes something else entirely.
Recent - Short Term 12. Written by someone who used to work in a similar facility, it hit too close to home. I could only watch it once, but great film.

3 Likes

That was near my summit until Rudy.

2 Likes

The one that comes to my mind is Friendly Persuasion. The story of a Quaker family during the American civil war.

1 Like

I would suggest a post listing the worst Christian movie you have seen, but the choices would be overwhelming.

3 Likes

Never heard of that one. Looks like I missed a classic. An interesting historical footnote on Rotten Tomatoes: “Though uncredited due to his status as a blacklistee, Michael Wilson wrote the screenplay for Friendly Persuasion–and even won an Oscar nomination.”

I can’t help but laugh at how many of the feel-good favorites seem to play against type. We have @Christy with Lars and the Real Girl, @glipsnort with Strictly Ballroom, and me with Muriel’s Wedding.

Christy, you take mine and I’ll take yours. Schaffner … great movie, but I’m sorry, it doesn’t fit. Anyone care to trade with Steve?

1 Like