Accommodation: God's Word in Human Words (Biblical Criticism and Inerrancy)

It has been a while since i read the book, but i recall numerous times where i found that the critical mindset did indeed taint the perspective of the author as a theist… one need not personally embrace an entirely anti-supernatural mindset in order to fall into the same erroneous narratives and conclusions that are required by those who do. i saw this regularly in my undergrad days. Atheist and anti-supernaturalist professors would proffer their assured results of modern scholarship which would then be embraced and repeated by many otherwise theistic students.

But far more significantly, i remain baffled by the general approach of Sparks, Enns, and the like when it comes to the question of how in the world, and in what conceivable sense, the Bible can in fact be “God’s words” in any meaningful sense.

If the Bible was written by the various human agendas, limited in knowledge, perspective, governed as they were by human failings, tribal mentality, evolution of religious beliefs, incorporation of legendary material, etc., etc., in a way that makes the writings of the Bible in no way categorically different than Enuma Elish, Epic of Gilgamesh, or for that matter the Baghivad Gita or the Koran, then it what conceivable sense can we say that the Bible is “God’s words” in a way that these other writings aren’t?

What ends up happening in practice, when i read the writings of Sparks and Enns, is that lip service is given to the idea that the Bible is “God’s word”, but I can find no tangible or concrete consequence of that… and further, I find a very odd hermeneutic emerge: all those things in the Bible that I disagree with, i can disregard those as they were the tribal, erroneous, primitive beliefs of an archaic people that didn’t know better. but somehow, when those tribal people did write something that i approve of, then that is God speaking through them to communicate something valuable.

So when Joshua was written that gave God’s approval to the Canaanite slaughter, this we reject an invalid portrait of God, rejecting the idea it is communicating anything about God’s heart because it was written by a backwards tribal people with limited understanding of God.

But when Ecclesiastes invites us to wrestle with God in the dark doubts, this we should embrace as being a valid and valuable portrait of God that we should directly inform our theology, even though it was written by a backwards tribal people with limited understanding of God.

And it seems to me to devolve into a hermeneutic of, “if I personally approve of the particular portrait of God, then it is a valid portrait of God in the Bible to show us what God wants us to understand about him…”… while, “if i personally disapprove of the particular portrait of God, then it is to be rejected as the fallible, invalid, erroneous speculations and wrong-headed inventions of a tribal people who had no more insight about God than any other tribal people of the time.”

it seems a bit too convenient to this observer.

1 Like

I appreciate your note. I was hoping you would step in, and almost tagged you.

I’m not sure where this is coming from, though. Are we bound to accept something without questioning it?

If we are responsible for our actions, we have to decide on our own what is right. Much in the Bible is not right. I am not sure of the semantics of “God’s Word,” but God knows our hearts.

Thanks.

The critical mindset taints everyone except fundamentalists who basically are fideistic. Bling faith doesn’t care about evidence. But how many of us would believe in a literal Genesis 1-3 if we had no reason not to? That would presumably be the default position in Christianity. Now because so many of us know science has rendered this intellectually unfeasible, we start looking for non-literal interpretations. Global flood impossible? Let’s try to make it a localized one to salvage it.

And were these atheist professors experts in the field? Could they not defend their “assured results” if asked?

Does an inspired text literally have to be God-written to the very word? Or can he more gently allow an author to write and simply push him in this or that direction without fully overriding all of his own directives? Verbal-plenary inspiration is not defensible and it is not the only option.

Is it lip service or do you just assume what you think God’s word should look like is the absolute truth? I think Sparks and Enns might tell you there is a sleight of hand in your response where you are confusing your own fallible interpretation of what God’s word should look like with what God’s word does or must look like.

Now I agree with you to a some extent. Once we start accommodating scripture in such a fashion and accept the basics of Biblical criticism, lots of traditional beliefs are certainly going to change. Not sure how much doctrine it truly effects however do I think you are overstating the issue. What’s lost by not thinking God murdered or directly ordered the murder of 30 million people in antiquity, or thinking that God is against misogyny, slavery and actually doesn’t like genocide, but actually agrees with his earthly representative who told us to love our enemies?

The problem with the conservative view is that it is usually incorrect, unfeasible and rejected by most critical universities and scholars in the world for very good reasons. But In essence, Enn and Sparks do what conservatives do. They hold to an a priori belief that the Bible is inspired by God and serves the purposes for which he intended it. They just have a different Interpretation of what that means and let the clear and demonstrable findings of biblical scholarship help them understand the best way to interpret that message in many places.

Just like many Christians now interpret most of Genesis 1-3 non-literally on the basis of science, our view of the Bible as a whole also can to change in light of modern biblical criticism.

Or they interpret God in light of his Son Jesus and realize much in the OT is inconsistent with him and his teachings when it is taken as a factually correct, immutable-divine word.

Unless a person wants to defend rape, murdering babies, genocide, misogyny and other “insights of the time” done by, attributed to or commanded in God’s name, basically the not morally sane Christians, then we are all in the same boat here.

Wrestling with our doubts and difficult passages is one thing, justifying the murder of babies and rape is altogether different. That is not wrestling but to show a complete lack of insight about Jesus.

A ready made theological and historical encyclopedia of inerrant divine knowledge that provides much desired certainty, guarantees its followers are right and are saved while everyone else is wrong and isn’t can also be deemed a bit convenient.

Vinnie

1 Like

OK, but on what basis do we decide which parts are or are not right?

and more to the point, then, if we are the ultimate authority who stand in judgment over the Bible, deciding which parts of it are or are not right, then all fine and good…

but if so, then Scripture is in no way authoritative over us. And thus, in no sense i can understand, can we call it God’s word. Rather, it is a collection of erroneous human writings, in the same category as the Enuma Elish or Epic of Gilgamesh, which may well be instructive or inspiring to various extents, but in no sense authoritative over us?

2 Likes

Ok… but if so, then a couple of questions…

1. How, exactly, (i.e., on what basis) do they claim to know that the Bible is “inspired” by God in a way that is in some real sense different than Enuma Elish or Epic of Gilgamesh?

2. How, exactly, do they discern or otherwise claim to know the “purposes” for which God intended the Bible? Has God somehow revealed this information to them?

I’ll offer some thoughts on your two good questions below. I would also like to know how you answer them?

I don’t think Sparks would claim to possess certitude or indubitable knowledge. I’m reading the work now and he rejects Cartesian thinking. I suggested it might be an a priori belief as the Bible is Christian sacred scripture and if there is some truth to our Church and religion it’s not a big leap of faith to think our Holy Book serves God’s intended purposes in a special way that other books do not. Its message has helped mediated the sacred and bring billions of people to God. Do we need any other reason than that?

I don’t think most people study the Bible in detail, obtain multiple PhDs, become experts in three or more languages, study ancient Mesopotatian history, ancient Greco-Roman history, archaeology, compare various Biblical manuscripts, Read all the anti-Nicene Fathers, early extra canonical works, the writings of Josephus and the Talmud, make their own translations and then after 50 years with their noses in ten thousand books and scholarly journals, determine that the Bible is completely true and therefore is from God. I tend to view the process from the opposite direction.

I think most of us had a salvation experience. We came to know God through his Son, the transforming and risen Jesus as we encountered the Gospel message in this work. Many people become Christians without knowing much of the Bible (as in reading all of it) and are often a bit mortified when they realize some of what’s in it. Many of us profess to obtaining spiritual guidance while reading the Bible. Maybe not every passage but significant parts of it. All this together means that whatever this book is it somehow helps mediate the sacred and it does represents the majority of all surviving first century Christian literature.

I can’t fully speak for them. Sparks is arguing how we can maintain belief in the Bible in light of Biblical criticism and has believers in mind. He is not trying to justify the Bible to atheists or skeptics.

He may just have the belief that the New Testamentlargely represents orthodoxy and I am sure he believes a lot of what’s in the Old Testament. To me it’s a matter or faith and Church teaching combined with history and it’s effective Gospel message. If I didn’t encounter God through reading the Gospels I would put no stock in this book. One might wonder how much of the book is inspired and how much the Spirit works through this book as people read it with an open heart. Inspiration comes in different forms but I do agree, if you choo large parts of the Bible, calling it “God’s word” could be unintentionally misleading depending on your specific model of inspiration.

Much of the NT has been considered sacred scripture and authoritative in Christianity since the end of the second century and for some Paul possibly by the end of the first century. The church decided early on which books they thought would compose a new canon and I think most of us take part of their judgment on faith. They certainly had some debate and works on the fence and they even made some mistakes on their judgments. If they knew books were written in Paul’s name, would they have canonized them?

These books are really all that survive from the fist century, many of the earliest Christians in the Church considered them canon and the Gospel message it preaches has been mediating the sacred. I’m not sure there really is any reason beyond that. Beyond our belief in Jesus from the Gospels colored by Pauline interpretation.

I’ve seen Geisler type arguments which start with a trilemma of sorts, present Jesus as God and use his words in the Gospels to argue that it was meant all along for us to have a NT. They fail miserably.

Salvation and ethical behavior maybe. Pretty much what 2 Timothy teaches and I know the RCC affirms this. Not being a Protestant I personally can fall back on Church teaching. Scripture is to make us wise for salvation and equip us for good works. Is there any reason to disagree with that statement of scripture? Is it not pretty universal in Christianity, thebBible and Jesus’ teachings! To me it’s no longer that hard. Pretty much focus on Jesus as does the NT. His words will challenge anyone to behave better and see sin in their lives. Many now interpret all of the Bible and God in light of Jesus, his Representative on Earth who humbled himself and died for us. WWJD? Order rape? Rejoice in infants of his enemy being dashed on the rocks? Murder tens of millions? There are just certain things in there which appear to run counter to God’s love and message through Jesus in the Gospels.

Personally, my faith would be survive if the Bible was just a collection of human works. A lot of it doesn’t speak to me and is largely irrelevant to my faith. But a lot of it does speak to me on a deep spiritual level. I seek a canon within the canon and it’s really when I feel the Spirit guiding me and speaking to me that I get the most out of my reading.

I am not bogged down by the desire for certainty any longer. How can I know what’s true if it’s not all true isn’t a valid objection. It may be u comfortable but are rarely if ever afforded certainty in life but we make it by with adequate knowledge. I prefer the term “sacred scripture” to “God’s word” now. I suppose you can’t sell books to evangelicals if you don’t use the latter term. I really can’t speak for Enns or Sparks though but those are some thoughts.

Vinnie

1 Like

This concern reflects more about our desire for certainty than actual worry about epistemology and hermeneutics. Every book and source ever written is prone to errors. We make it by just fine. I would answer your question and tell you to read it. Who really cares if you know what verses are factual and which ones aren’t? What does that matter for salvation or faith in Jesus? The entire NT points to Jesus. There is no necessity in being fixated on figuring everything out or having perfect theological doctrine. We are supposed to be fixated on emulating Christ and feeding the poor. Worrying about the finer points of scripture which is meant in its broadest terms to make us wise for salvation and equip us to do good works seems to miss the point. Sola scripture and it’s thirty million denominations calls into question “how we can know what is true” just as much as admitting there are human errors in the Bible. We are in the same boat either way and most of us cannot read 3 ancient languages and understand ancient history well enough to actually decide on these things. It’s all a red herring. Part of the message of scripture might be plainly that we aren’t getting answers to our questions yet!

No one is standing in judgment over what scripture is meant to teach. Anything that is from God will be trustworthy. But the question is, did he want us to know the earth was created in six days or does this text mean something else? When Matthew presents Jesus as the new and greater Moses, why do the infancy narratives need to be accurate for Matthew’s point to be made? I think most of Matthew’s infancy narrative is clearly made up from the Old Tedtsment. But that does not mean I disagree with the central teaching behind this literary activity. Jesus most certainly is the new and much greater Moses. I would have a problem if a modern author writing a historical biography did this, but not an ancient author writing a gospel. God wants us to know Jesus is a new and greater Moses. With that, you can choose to believe or not believe in the veracity of the Matthean infancy narrative. So no one is disputing the overall meaning and intended purpose of God in scripture. No one is disagreeing with God or claiming to be authoritative over him. The effort is to interpret scripture, older revelation in light of newer revelation and even newer revelation in light of the continued work of the Spirit in changing people and societies.

Do I really have to stone my pagan neighbors in order to call scripture authoritative? Do I have to accept a global food, a 6 day creation or narrative stories as being factually true to consider the work authoritative in my life? It’s not all authoritative. No one follows the whole Bible and for many of us, that it contains a number of errors and contradictions means logically, all of it can’t be authoritative. The only thing that can be authoritative in my mind are ethical teaching about how we should live, including dealing with sin and repenting. But for many there m is also special revaluation revealing things as well.

It’s impossible not to make interpretive judgments about scripture and irresponsible to try to avoid using the findings of modern science and historical criticism to elucidate its meaning.

I have my Giancoli physics textbook for scientists and engineers on my shelf. I would be willing to bet there are errors in there somewhere. Does it make sense to call it an erroneous human writing despite it being largely accurate and serving its intended purpose remarkably well? Why is God accommodating imperfect and fallible humans with an adequate text so problematic? We are not saying God is adequate. Just that language itself, human culture and our coils constructs in conjunction with our sinful natures make it impossible for perfect revelation of the Divine will. So God used imperfect humans, and imperfect language to coney his thoughts to us in an adequate fashion. Why does a text have to be perfect in all its factual details and statements when read literary to make us wise for salvation and be useful in equipping us to do good works?

Or are you suggesting there are too many errors for scripture to be even useful for this task? I’d say it’s record of salvation history tends to overrule that judgment.

Though I agree with you that the sense of what it means for the Bible to be the Bible does change a bit when we accept some basic premises of Biblical Criticism. You can’t read the Bible as an encyclopedia of theological and historical facts anymore. You don’t have a rule book dropped out of heaven but looking at the the Bible and how Christians use it todsy I would say they only ever paid lip service to this notion anyways. But on the flip side, one could argue accepting biblical criticism does not change credal Christianity or any magisterial teachings of the a Church. The RCC has been open to biblical criticism for a while now.

1 Like

I think part of the difficulty here is that this question presumes there are only two potential (and competing) authorities in the world: ourselves, and the Bible.

But if we are to believe the very Bible whose authority you are at such pains to defend, then you are forced to accept that other authority exists too: God the Creator, Jesus the Son, the promised Spirit of Christ to whom we are called to be attentive and obedient. The written testimony (our Bible) concerning these other authorities is not itself identical with those authorities, but a pointer to them rather. If we are to grant scriptures something of an authority of their own among all these other authorities - well and good perhaps (or maybe dangerous too), but let’s not pretend that in doing so that we have made some stark choice between the only two authorities that exist: ourselves and scriptures. If we do so, even just to piously give scriptures the sole judgment seat above ourselves, then we have ironically ignored what those same scriptures have taught us.

2 Likes

Managed to get some wifi. Here are my notes for chapter 4.

Chapter 4 goes through traditional responses to Biblical criticism which include warranted but erroneous rejections of biblical criticism, fideistic rejections of it, philosophical objections raised against it and what sparks calls, critical anti-criticism-- which is in my mind, more or less is a conservative attempt at evangelical-Biblical criticism. More time is spent on the latter of the four responses but Sparks starts off pointing out that erroneous beliefs can be warranted . For example, our ancestors can be intellectually forgiven for thinking the earth was flat. He speaks of a dialogue between Billy Graham and Charles Templeton, the latter of which would see many critical problems with the Bible and discuss them with the former. Graham was clearly vexed by them to the point of feeling pain at the base of his skull and finally said, while admitting he could not prove or answer some of the questions, “I accept this this book by faith as the Word of God.” Since he was not a biblical scholar, and none of us can test and prove every single belief we have, whether religious or otherwise, Sparks thinks Graham’s beliefs could have been warranted whereas Templeton, as a scholar, could not justifiably take the same posture. Ironically, I wasn’t convinced Spark’s belief about Graham was warranted but he vindicated himself in the following paragraph/section offer a competing interpretation of Graham’s posture which suggest is might not have been fully warranted and he uses this to segue into the issue of blind faith or fideism which has been one traditional response to the problems raised by biblical criticism. I find the line between fideism and warranted erroneous belief to be a bit blurry in many cases.

The Fidestic Response to Biblical Criticism: Fideism “is the term philosophers use to refer to such instances in which religious views are held so intensely that factual realities and rational evidence had no power to alter or affect them.” Sparks lists four telltale signs of fideism:

[1] Special pleading or having a double standard When someone isn’t as critical of our own views, interpretation or theology as that of others. Different standards and rules are applied to each. Sparks lists a poignant example. Christians will often try to discredit the book of Mormon on the basis of unfulfilled prophecies yet “these same evangelicals will not entertain a similar critique of their own faith when the prophecies of Ezekiel and Isaiah seem to have failed. A fair assessment of Mormonism should allow Mormons the same flexibility for handling unfulfilled prophecies that evangelical Christians grant themselves.”(p 137)

In my experience, apologists are some of the most ingenuous and creative people on the planet when it comes to trying to resolve countless Biblical contradictions. When it comes to imagining how some of their own prized theology could be wrong their creative thought seems to shut down. Suddenly, the rules of the game change and wooden literalism becomes the norm.

I have likewise seen many Christians dismiss the entirety of the Gospel of Thomas (some on this very forum!) because in their eyes the last saying (114) is misogynistic. While I think this interpretation of the saying is incorrect, that is beside the point and I agree we can certainly say that misogyny appears inconsistent with the more inclusive and egalitarian practices of Jesus but one wonders how much of the Bible these GThomas critics have actually read? Should we also dismiss the entirety of the Bible since it is clearly misogynistic in many places? We should be engaged with steel as opposed to straw man arguments.

[2] Rejecting someone’s belief or opinion because they are non-Christian or Christians blinded by the secular world. Sparks admits there is some truth to the idea of outsiders not being able to fully understanding the divine discourse “but it is simply wrong to aver that, in matters of scriptural interpretation and ancient history, every Christian opinion is superior to every non-Christian interpretation. History demonstrates quite satisfactorily that those within the church often get things wrong, and those outside often get things right.”

In my mind, many believers also find pet scholars who agree with their ideology and tend to read a specific kind of material. I am not sure how you can truly dialogue with scholarship on an issue if you never actually immerse yourself in it and give competing opinions a fair shake. For most I think ignorance is bliss. But I am fan of reading something and then seeing it cross-examined by another expert in the field. That’s why you can find so many works by so many different authors on my shelf approaching Jesus from every angle.

[3] The Necessity of so much apologetics. Sparks thinks fideism is clearly cloaked in the “unusual or unexpected amount of effort is necessary to defend out beliefs. For instance, one wonders why a prominent evangelical scholar required an “encyclopedia” to resolve the apparent errors in the Bible that he claimed was free of human error. Is it not possible in light of so many difficulties, that the author’s beliefs about the Bible were in some respect mistaken?”

The sheer amount of linguistic gymnastics and pious imagination that comes with inerrancy in the face of countless Biblical problems is justification it is not inerrant. If it doesn’t look, quack, swim or have feathers like a duck, its i probably not a duck. No other book on the planet of this nature (so many authors written over so many years in different settings, potentially a thousand years apart) would ever be inerrant. Humans make mistakes and views change over time. The Bible just does not look inerrant by any stretch of the imagination. This belief is desperately clung to because some erroneously think inspiration requires it and for others they just accept it as an axiom of faith and no matter how ridiculous it appears to be in light of external and internal evidence, it must be held to.

[4] Thinking your ideology and opinion literally speaks for God while disagreeing with you are disagreeing with God. Sparks writes in what is one of my favorite blocks of text so far, “Perhaps the most telltale indicator of fideism appears when we find ourselves believing our own view of things is literally “what God says” while the views with oppose reflect “what human beings say. Consider this example from a fundamentalist book on biological evolution: ‘If the days of creation [in Genesis 1] are really ‘geologic ages’ of millions of years, then the gospel message is undermined at its foundation because it puts death, disease, thorns and suffering before the Fall. This idea also shows an erroneous approach to scripture—that the Word of God can be interpreted on the basis of fallible theories of sinful people.’ To be sure, the author of this statement has his finger on a potentially significant theological difficulty raised by evolution, namely, that death seems to have entered creation before the fall of humanity. Nevertheless, his understanding of the ideological conflict itself is quite erroneous. Although the author describes the situation as a quarrel between God’s infallible Word and fallible human science, this is an illusion created by the assumption that his interpretation of Scripture is a perfect reflection of “what God says.” In reality, however the conflict is not between the Word of God and human science but between fallible human interpretation of Scripture and fallible human interpretation of nature . By sleight of hand, the author implicitly assumed that his own interpretation of Scripture was infallible, thereby shielding his “infallible” views from the criticisms of modern science. His fideism is perhaps emically unconscious, but it is also intellectually insidious.” Pg 138

This last quote is extremely poignant and relevant to me. It is common to be told “you are disagreeing with God” when you disagree with a particular conservative’s interpretation of the Bible. If the word of God cannot be interpreted on the basis of fallible scientific theories created by sinners, one wonders what we are to make of the idea of fallible and sinful Christians who interpret the Bible as the inerrant word of God? A model of inspiration, a systematic theology and Biblical hermeneutics all constructed by fallible human sinners? In some respects this fideistic response to Biblical criticism is akin to sawing off the very branch of a tree you are sitting on.

When analyzing fideism, Sparks saved Carl Henry, one of the evangelical founding fathers for treatment last. Per Sparks his arguments are “thoroughly cartesian” as he “desires indubitable religious knowledge and fully believes that he can get it from an inerrant Bible.” In Spark’s view Henry believes that once we “deductively recognize” that scripture teaches its inerrancy that “we may safely assume that any critical conclusions that inductively imply error in Scripture are quite mistaken . . . so much for biblical criticism.” While affirming the appropriateness of “embracing theological commitments” and allowing them to “shape our view of the data we interpret, ” Sparks writes, “As we saw in a previous chapter, however, the problems uncovered by biblical critics are neither minor nor insignificant. The difficulties are broad and comprehensive, a veritable avalanche of data that is far too substantial to be swept aside with the flimsy theological brook used by Henry.” Pg 139 Since Henry doesn’t allow Biblical criticism to challenge his own beliefs about the Bible, he fits the charge of being fideistic. I also think Billy Graham belonged in the category as well, or maybe it would be best to say he had a foot in both doors!

Philosophical Reactions to Biblical Criticism . Sparks goes through criticism of the discipline put forth by Provan and Plantinga. Both seem to misunderstand the nature and methodology of Biblical criticism. It does not need to rest on anti-supernatural presuppositions or be built on incorrect enlightenment thinking.

To this end Sparks points out how Biblical criticism isn’t all that modern in some cases. Origen (c. 184-253) already figured out that at least parts of John could not be historically accurate by comparing them to the synoptics (Commentary on John 19:53, ANF 9:393). Origen is also known for the statement about spiritual truth in the gospels being found in material falsehood. I am not sure Spark’s comment “by the second century” is correct as Origen’s literary activity may be mostly in the third-century. But I don’t have my sources to check Origen where I am at. But he also points out the pseudo-prophetic nature of Daniel was recognized in the third century by porphyry and Augustine created a harmony of the Gospels where he struggled to harmonize them. Also, it was recognized in the twelfth century that Moses did not write the Pentateuch and thought that Isaiah had multiple authors by Ibn Ezra . Though not mentioned by Sparks, there is an abundance of budding textual criticism evinced by some ancient authors as well. Most likely to be rejected by evangelicals are where Sparks thinks scripture itself comments on its own problems:

“When the Hebrew Chronicler saw that Goliath was killed by both David and Elhanan in the book of Samuel (cf. 1 Sam. 17; S Sm 21:19), he solved this contradiction by having Elhanan defeat “ Lahmi, the brother of Goliath ” (1 Chron. 20:5). The Chronicler resolved the Pentateuch’s contradictory Passover laws in a similar way. Exodus command that the Passover be “roasted, not boiled” (Exod. 12:8-9), whereas Deuteronomy commanded that it be “boiled in water” (Deut. 16:7). In Chronicles we are therefore told that the Israelites “boiled the Passover in fire” (2 Chron. 35:13a, my translation), which in the end meant nothing other than boiling the flesh in pots and jugs (35:13b). Similar harmonizations appear elsewhere in Chronicles. Let us not forget also that Ezekiel himself confessed that his prophecy about Tyre did not come to pass (Ezek. 29:17-18).” Pg 144

To Spark’s arguments, based on Markan priority, I would add some redactional changes by Matthew and Luke indicate disagreements with the theology and interpretation of Jesus by Mark at times. in addition I would note that Luke’s prologue might include an implicit critique of Mark but considering Luke used a large portion of that Gospel in his own writing, one would be very hard pressed to argue Luke considered the core material in a negative fashion. Also, whereas the synoptic Jesus asks that the cup be taken from him, in the Gospel of John Jesus literally scoffs at this notion. The Johannnine author was thus not very fond of the Gethsemane tradition. The point of all this is Biblical criticism is not a modern, anti-miracle invention of the Enlightenment and these philosophers are wrong on this point, in addition to misconstruing what biblical critics actually believe.

For critical anti-criticism, which is where evangelicals attempt Biblical criticism, Spark goes through 8 types of inadequate strategies used by evangelicals in response to Biblical criticism”

1 Artificial Presentation of the Evidence

He points out how conservatives misconstrue old testament critics arguments for multiple authors of the Pentateuch with a divide and conquer technique. They attempt to treat the different divine names and double stories (often conflicting) completely separately, discrediting both. But critical scholars don’t make their arguments based on these separate pieces of information, For them it’s a package deal. The coincidence of these doublets in conjunction with the divine names is the argument! Sparks writes, “I have yet to see an evangelical critique of Pentateuchal criticism that presents the critical evidence in a coherent way that critical scholars present it.” Pg 147 Sparks then goes on to discuss Kitchen’s attempt at arguing for a singular author for Isaiah and Miller’s attempt to show the four apocalyspes are not an ex eventu prophecy from the second century BC. Using these three cases as exemplars he suggests evangelicals “present the critical evidence either incompletely or unfairly.”

I won’t go through all 8 of the inadequate strategies highlighted by Sparks but their titles are below. What impresses me in this section is how Sparks is dialoguing with actually evangelical arguments in each case and attempting to demonstrate them with examples:

2 Artificial Comparative Analogies

1. Selective and Illegitimate Appeals to Critical Scholarship

2. Lowering the Threshold for Historicity

3. Red herrings – The misleading Use of “Test Cases”

4. Misleading and illegitimate harmonizations

5. Critiquing Biblical Criticism with Biblical “Testimony”

6. Pleading Ignorance and Obfuscating the Issues

Some other highlights: Sparks points out where Jude gets the Assumption of Moses and 1 Enoch wrong (two pseudonymous works). Must we assume Jesus gets authorship correct and an inspired book like Jesus does not? Could he have erred or simply accommodated his audiences beliefs as correcting mistaken authorship was not his purpose.

“Precritical orthodoxy makes it possible, and modern critical research makes it likely, that Jesus has not told us who really wrote the Pentateuch, Isaiah or Daniel. “ pg 165

Also on page 167 Sparks goes through 4 reasons the biblical scholarship of more sophisticated evangelicals still has ”rhetorical ambiguity”: “To put it baldly: it seems to me that serious scholarship does not sell among conservative Evangelicals.” An author has to choose between being a good scholar and selling books. Others reasons include not fully understanding the theological implications themselves, having pastoral concerns for their churches as this could create problems, and conflicts with working for conservative schools, suspicious of biblical criticism, with high statements on scriptural authority.

Sparks ends with a bit of hope in that many evangelicals are coming around to accept the strong evidence presented by Biblical criticism:

“For instance, many progressive evangelicals now accept that there are sources in the Pentateuch, that Isaiah was authored by several prophets, that Daniel includes pseudoprophecy, that the Chronicler’s History is partially fictional, that Jonah is fictional, that there are difference between John and the Synoptics that cannot be historically harmonized, and that the Pastoral Epistles were written by someone other than Paul.” Pg 169-170

2 Likes

Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ!

1 Like

And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into [hell.]

Why would ethical teachings be authoitative?

If there is evidence that John and the synoptics cannot be harmonized, it is rejected by many. The criteria used to determine if Paul’s letters are properly attributed to him are weak and subjective.

It is actually a question as to whether we have any basis believing anything about Christian theology, or knowing anything about the mind or heart of God whatsoever.

For instance…. Does God invite us to wrestle with him in our doubts, as Professor Enns seems to suggest Ecclesiastes gives us warrant? The true answer, given his position, is…. who knows? Ecclesiastes of course was written by an ancient Jewish human with no special insight and all the same human limitations, lack of larger awareness, and the like as the author of the conquest in Joshua, no?

But if Sparks, Enns, and others affirm that the idea that these are human writings unprotected from false and erroneous beliefs and sentiments about God…. I.e., God didn’t actually approve of the conquest - rather that such approval isn’t something that God was trying to communicate - it was in fact the mistaken baseless speculation of an ancient tribal people who falsely attributed such sentiments to God….

Then the author of Ecclesiastes did the very same thing…. Attributing sentiments to God that are essentially only baseless speculation.

And if I should not maintain confidence on what the author of Joshua claimed about what God does or doesn’t approve regarding warfare, then on what basis do I turn to the author of Ecclesiastes as some sort of authority on what God does and doesn’t approve regarding our doubts and wrestling?

1 Like

Some of the respones here on this forum and the people they quote to prove scripture should not be used as an authoritative reference because they were made by a backwoods tribal people, are awfully thoritative. Dont you think? I guess its ok because we are not a backwoods tribal people. Or are we.

You are kickin bro. Great questions. It is very easy to point out what look like could be flaws in the scriptures. It is tougher to prove.
I am in the process of developing a test to see if textual, form and literary critics can pick out/match the authors of several bodies of literature.
They are largely unaccountable today, but that is going to change. We are going to challenge them with tests to measure how well they can pick out correctly who wrote what and publicize their scores. I don’t think they will be as confident once they are evaluated. Actually, I think these specialized scholars are going to be discredited.

Incorrect on both accounts. The majority of critical scholars reject the compatibility of parts of John with the Synoptics. I have outline a host of evidence on this forum which received no response. There really isn’t a good one: This is a basic fact known to all biblical critics. Origin recognized this around the end of the second century/beginning of the third. The evidence for pseudonymous composition is especially strong for the pastorals and evidence for Pauline composition is especially weak. Conservatives and evangelicals grossly misconstrue the arguments of critical scholars.

If I knew where to find your evidence, I would look at it. I have read a few of your arguments defendng your position, but they are not convincing, to me.

One well known scholar states unequivocally that the birth accounts in Matt and Luke are at odds with one another. If one is true, the other can’t be and vice versa. We disagree. We found nothing to indicate his position is correct.

we may at least say that there is a “growing trend” in Jesus studies toward
recognition of the Fourth Gospel as a “dissonant tradition” that not only can be
utilized but must be, if the Synoptic tradition is not to be accorded free rein in a
manner that increasingly seems uncritical. If John’s Gospel had not made it into
the canon, if it had been lost to history only to be discovered now, the impact
on historical Jesus studies would be revolutionary. Imagine! A book on the life
and teachings of Jesus that is almost as early as the Synoptic Gospels, that claims
to be based in part on eyewitness testimony, that contains some material that is
almost certainly very primitive, that may very well be independent of the other
Gospels while corroborating what they say at many points, and that ofers what is
ultimately a rather diferent (although not wholly incompatible) spin on the Jesus
story. The implications of such a discovery would be phenomenal: every work
previously written on the historical Jesus would be deemed obsolete and the full
attention of scholarship would turn toward discovering what this alternative tradition had to ofer. Of course, nothing like this has occurred, but many scholars
seem to be saying, “we do have such a book; perhaps we should not ignore it.”
Yes indeed friends. Picture it just that way. We would freak out over all the incredibly significant information contained in this gospel of “John”.

If only they were in a thread a moderator made because we took a different thread off topic about the historicity of John. If only you had responded to me multiple times in that very discussion. Then maybe you wouldn’t have wonder where it was.

You don’t understand my arguments. You repeatedly confuse issues. It’s become apparent to me that much of the discussion just goes above your head. Not to mention you are just all over the place. You mentioned John vs the Synoptics. I responded to you directly on those points. Now you respond and are taking about the incompatible
Infancy narratives. That has nothing to do with authorship of the pastorals or John vs the Synoptics.

The infancy narratives are inconsistent and both are historically problematic on many levels. I could easily lay out 10 pages of information for you and direct you to many critical sources on them but you’d just ignore it like you did the problem with John and the synoptics. Instead of addressing the issue you’d talk about Bart or provide an irrelevant scriptural quote, maybe cite something from CS Lewis, offer a pop culture reference and off topic anecdote. If I don’t respond to you again on this forum, that is the reason why.

I can’t type well, so before I can edit my answers I send a portion

Remember, I said the Paul’s authorship of certain epistles had been rejected because they were too long. That is true, isn’t it? Sentences were too long as well. That refutation of an aspect of “criticism” was ignored.
I’m not done but want you to see I’m trying to respond.

It is okay not to respond, Vinnie. I’m doing the best I can. If it isn’t adequate, I’ll ty to do better. But, I did raise some doubts about criticism and will continue to do so for anyone who is interested. I don’t think there is so much urgency that we can’t make some errors along the way.
It is about digging for HIM, ultimately, trying to glean more about him in every way possible.