A.Suarez's Treatment on a Pope's Formulation for Original Sin's Transmission!

That’s not important for me at the moment to think about. What is important is what Jesus did through His cross and resurrection, my death and new birth (new creation). It is through that, that the way of salvation from sin and the devil is provided.

It is more important than you know and you dismiss it too easily. It should be on your mind daily, if not every waking hour. The fatherhood of God is huge, especially in the NT.

It appears on [Jesus’] lips some sixty-five times in the Synoptic Gospels and over one hundred times in John.

And we are Jesus’ adoptive siblings. I don’t think it is overstating to say that God’s fatherhood, or his joy in it, is why he created the universe and us in it.

1 Like

Being born again by the Father’s will is very important, it is my salvation.
What I was saying was, that what would have happened if Adam and Eve didn’t sin is not important to me at the moment. That is in the past, what they did affected me but what Jesus did through the cross and resurrection delivered me. I move on from the cross of Christ, and press forward towards the high calling that is in Christ Jesus and the final salvation that awaits at the resurrection.

Of course. That is what makes you his adopted child.

That is not the way what you said came across to me. I agree that it is not necessary information for you to know prior to your being born again into a new Family, to mix the two metaphors.

I agree, that this is absolutely important.

Thinking that God would have become flesh, even if Adam had not sinned (as we are taught by the great Father Irenaeus) may help us to better understanding what the state of original holiness and justice was all about, and thus why Adam’s sin caused that all human beings coming into existence after this sin are not endowed with original holiness and justice.

Thanks for your interaction. I don’t see that spoken about in the scriptures and at the moment I dont see the importance to think about it.
What is important to me is that i was a slave to sin and Jesus united me with Him in His death and resurrection to save me from my slavery to sin and the god of this age. So that is what I am setting my thoughts and affections on.

Cody, what you claim “it is important to you”, it is certainly important to me as well.

However, I dare to ask:

Do you acknowledge that Adams’ sin had consequences that became transmitted to you and me?

This is question we are try to elucidating in this thread, in the light of Scripture and evolutionary science.

What actually is “evolutionary science”, Antoine? Are you making that term up or trying to imbue it with meaning that quite obviously would imbalance the Academy?

It seems you are expecting to promote a clear and ongoing exaggeration of “evolutionary biology” into a kind of ideological scientism, one that has not yet been properly bounded by theistic evolutionists.

We don’t speak of “gravitational science” or “electromagnetic science.” But you want to elevate “evolution” from a biological theory into it’s own independent field of study, into “a science”?

Well, I suppose you could try, even though you don’t appear to have the training necessary for it. Please know that there would be serious pushback, as you might expect, from non-physicists unlike yourself. This is b/c you are now speaking on behalf of “OTHER FIELDS” about which you likely would not wish to make any claims about “THEIR SCIENCE”. You are aware of this, right?

IOW, you’re not attempting to UNIVERSALIZE “evolutionary biology” into a “universal evolutionary science”, are you? Or is that really your aim by calling it “evolutionary science”, Antoine? Otherwise, why use that term?

Thanks for your clarification, as this is a fairly new duo used intentionally in the literature, almost entirely by atheists and agnostics. And you are one apparently who is promoting it together with them, while have made no clear identification of limit, boundary, or when “evolution” is over-used, and misused.

I find “evolutionary science” a highly misleading, and exaggerative term, and wish to make my position clear in contrast with yours. Universalization of terms can lead to dangerous results, and even fanaticism. I would like to be careful that you are not promoting ideological evolutionism, rather than just “evolutionary biology”.

You could clarify this easily and without any “argument” by simply identifying which fields of science currently are NOT part of “evolutionary science”. IOW, which fields are absolutely being reasonable, responsible and fully “within their rights” to REJECT EVOLUTIONARY THEORIES in those fields?

Please state which fields specifically, Antoine. If you can’t, then quite obviously, you’re pushing an ideological position called “evolutionism”, rather than a “scientific” position called “evolutionary biology”.

Please understand, Sy Garte is on my side here against your apparently intentional exaggeration of it, along with not a few others, asking for the term “evolution” to be restricted to biology. In my view he’s completely failed to explain away the uses of evolution in fields such as cultural studies, political science, economics, anthropology, even literature and “religious studies”. Should those fields all fall under the GIGANTIC umbrella of “evolutionary science” also? This is understandable because Sy hasn’t studied the social sciences and humanities and has no repertoire to actually make his “demonstration” of how and why “evolution” should be restricted to natural sciences. He wants the repertoire to be able to make his argument, but simply doesn’t have it, due to his educational background and focus.

Antoine, as a non-natural scientist, I’m here to offer you that “other way”, so you can stop your exaggerations of “evolutionary biology” into “evolutionary science”, or what is more troubling, into “evoluitonary theology” Roman Catholic monitum-style. Sorry, that’s headed for Teilhardian disgrace, not credible Christian witness. Please, rethink the premises of why you wish to exaggerate evolutionary biology and evolutionary geology into evolutionary ethics and evolutionary politics. That’s a really BAD idea.

Because if ALL FIELDS of study are simply inevitably “evolutionary fields” of study, as the presumptuous elevation of “evolutionary biology” into “evolutionary science” seems to suggest, then we really are seeing an example of fanaticism in the academy. David Sloan Wilson is the foremost example of this nowadays, but there’s a boat load of others too, who Antoine Suarez seems to be supporting with his “evolution for evolution” chorus alongside of Wilson. Sadly, this time its a Roman Catholic physicist-philosopher making claims about “science” that don’t seem possible to be backed up with evidence. Oh well, we’re back into Teilhard de Chardin territory, apparently. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That may be extracting a huge inference that he did not intend, and trying to maybe force into it the entirety of your conversation with @Christy. Were I to use the term, and I have, it would certainly be excessive to presume all of that. A septuagenarian, I have just ca. two years ago come to accept ‘evolutionary science’. Implicit in that is biological evolution. If I had said merely “I have come to accept evolution”, it would not be so explicit and could leave the reader wondering some what I meant exactly. If I were a YEC (and decades ago I was), and said that I had recently come to accept cosmological science, as opposed to simply ‘cosmology’, would you still have the same degree of distress?

Sorry, Dale, but again, as before, it does not seem you have much familiarity with the topic.

If you think you have familiarity, then do us all a favour. Find ONE department or faculty of “evolutionary science” in the world. Just ONE. If you can’t, maybe you want to think carefully about why they don’t exist. Try “department of evolutionary science” and “faculty of evolutionary science”. Any hits?

“I have just ca. two years ago come to accept ‘evolutionary science’. Implicit in that is biological evolution.”

No, this is too loose. You came to accept evolutionary biology and evolutionary theory in other natural sciences. There is no such thing as “evolutionary science”. It’s just a bloated term that reveals ideology and lack of imagination for non-evolutionary change-over-time.

How about you, Dale, would you step up to the plate before Antoine returns to this thread?

Which fields of science currently are NOT part of “evolutionary science”? IOW, which fields are absolutely being reasonable, responsible and fully “within their rights” to REJECT EVOLUTIONARY THEORIES in those fields ?

Please state which fields specifically, Dale.

Thanks for showing us what limits you place on “evolutionary thinking”.

That wasn’t much of a “conversation”. Christy’s colloquial usage isn’t an interest of mine. I’m speaking about people who work in the fields in which evolutionary theories are being discussed.

Exactly. Being a scholar with esoterism seems to divorce you from general use of a term (such as Antoine’s, Christy’s and mine) and somehow permits you to be condescending.

1 Like

Well, having surveyed the literature on this topic to a high degree, just makes me confident that people who say & write “evolutionary science” either 1) have an agenda (usually scientistic, oftentimes atheistic), 2) are making things up (across the theistic & atheistic spectrum), or 3) don’t really care about clarity and accurate terminology in the conversation.

“Evolutionary science” is not actually a “field of study” in English language usage in universities. About this, Dale, frankly I’m totally uninterested in your mere opinion. Instead I’m just interested in actual evidence and facts, like a “scientist” should be. Don’t you value doing good science?

In colloquial usage, evolution just means change, and who would ever take issue with that?

The problem is what to exclude from so-called “evolutionary science”. I’m quite patient to wait for a possible answer.

As for condescending, no, I’m just confident that there are no departments of “evolutionary science” and that the term is highly contestable, not stable or with any sort of even near “consensus” surrounding it. Basically I’m just pointing out conceptual over-reach & interdisciplinary mashup when it comes to some peoples’ uses of the term “evolution” (& I’m not a “creationist”). Otoh, you seem to be saying smth like: “Over-reach? With the term ‘evolution’?! Mashup? Impossible”.

Accusing someone of “esoterism” with the handle “evolutionary providentialist” is ironic. Thanks for the chuckle. :blush:

That would be only your not so humble opinion. :grin:

Whatever suits your “evolutionary science” fantasy, Dale.

1 Like

Personally I’ve yet to see the verses that implies that the choices Adam made condemns me or anyone else to hell. I’ve yet to see anything that indicates a baby is born guilty of sin because of the choices Adam made. I also don’t see any reason to believe something like a angry baby being indicative of a little sinner. Sin is not anger. Sin is choosing to go against Gods teachings or additionally your conscience.

1 Like

If somebody tells me she is taking a class on “evolutionary science”, she is probably studying theory and evidence pertaining to biological evolution. If from her statement, I understand her to be studying the theory and evidence concerning biological evolution, we have clearly and accurately communicated with all due care. We are good. No agenda other than studying evolutionary science. Should anybody else have a problem with that choice of language, that is no matter.

The intended usage is generally clear from context, and may just mean change, or biological evolution in the sense of common ancestry.

3 Likes

This is obviously incorrect as proponents in various fields outside biology use “evolution” as a basis for their speculation. While a recent development, some universities have added “evolution, ecology and environment” (at times also genetics) as a sub-branch of schools of life sciences. I cannot recall any promoting evolutionary science.

Your insistence that the phrase is meaningful may work within the context of this blog but that is it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I think there is a dead horse around here somewhere. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes