A Different Genre for Genesis 1

Just off the top of my head, I would calculate the chances as about one in 9 billion. But I would happily defer to any of the scientists here who would be far more adept with the numbers. I’m probably figuring it wrong. I was thinking in terms of (0.5)^30 but I’m probably missing something.

That fits my own experience on the mission field! I really appreciate these anecdotes from various articles.

Thank you for that article from 1993. I’m definitely going to read it.

I’m not sure when the base-60 numbers and the set of {0,2,5,7,9} digits were first noticed and published. I remember it coming up with my Hebrew professor in the 1970’s. He was a Jewish rabbi who gave us the impression that these were observations which go way back in the rabbinical literature. But I may have misunderstood him. I also think the digits may have come out of the Anderson-Forbes computer project of the 1970’s.

I so appreciate all of your responses. This has been most helpful.

I couldn’t say for certain, either. The '93 article was the first mention that I could find in my 3-min. time limit before having to start a blog.

I’ve sometimes posted a summary of the base-60 and non-random distribution of the digits arguments on YEC websites and asked them why the Genesis genealogies couldn’t be symbolic. To my surprise–apparently because I posted a simple explanation of why this demonstrated that the ages weren’t to be understood as actual ages of the Patriarchs—I got no replies! I really thought I would get hammered. But everybody went silent and ignored the post. I never knew what to make of that. Were they genuinely forced to think about the possibility that they had been wrong about 900+ years old Patriarchs? I don’t know.

They were even silent at the AIG Facebook page when I brought it up. (However, my post did get me banished from the AIG page within a few hours. So apparently the moderators didn’t like it. Yet, they didn’t delete my post! I don’t know what to think of that.)

2 Likes

Most Bible commentaries I have looked at see the Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 accounts as having different sources. Either they are viewed as accounts of two separate creation events, or as synoptic accounts of the same event, but told with distinct emphases, goals, and influences. The title of this thread is “A Different Genre for Genesis 1” but the discussion has centered on the relationship between the introduction of the Genesis 2 text and the rest of Genesis. So I remain unconvinced that the Genesis 1 text has anything to do with genealogies.

Ever sincere I had a Hebrew exegesis course in Genesis, I’ve assumed that Genesis 2 is about a specific ERETZ, the land where God planted a garden and placed the humans he created. That’s why it says that that ERETZ had no rain and (originally) was nothing but wilderness with no man to tend to it (and perhaps help with the irrigation?)

I’m not saying that Genesis 1 is not about an ERETZ also, but it is clear from the text that these are two different stories. (I’ve assumed that both “creation accounts” were oral traditions which the Genesis author(s) decided to incorporate. Of course, the JEDP hypothesis divides them by authors.)

As to genealogies, I am baffled as to how Genesis 1 has anything to do with genealogies. Is there perhaps confusion over the fact that “the generations of” can be a kind of idiom for “the history of” a particular family according to some cultures?

They can hide your post so no other users will see it, but it will still show up when you look at the page. It’s kind of sneaky, but evidently it is the default way Facebook works. See post 84 here.

“Generation” literally can mean “to produce,” as in to generate. The land “produced” vegetation and living creatures, although of course it was God creating or ‘generating’ it all in the first place.

This makes perfect sense in the context of a genealogy, where people are being ‘produced’ or ‘generated’ from previous people, generation after generation.

And before you ask, the Hebrew word ‘toledot’ which is being translated here has, as well as the meaning ‘generation,’ also the meaning ‘descendant,’ as in “these are the descendants of the heavens and the earth…”

So as far as I understand it, it seems a very neat way of looking at it that is both scientifically unproblematic and theologically informative.

Thoughts?

@Christy

I don’t want to create the appearance of being “superficial” or “glib” (both are just terrible things … oops… I guess I can be pretty glib …) but isn’t @nobodyyouknow’s point more about how Genesis can be interpreted, and less about what it really is?

Doesn’t the word occur here in an idiomatic expression though? If that is the case it is irrelevant what the word means in isolation, we need to know what the whole expression means and the range of uses for the phrase.

And that doesn’t touch the issue that Genesis 1 doesn’t have the same phrase, does it?

I think maybe it’s more about how it’s labelled. If it is labelled a genealogy then people have less of a problem with non-historicity than if it is labelled history. But my question is, if people can accept that Hebrew genealogies “allow” for certain non-factual history reporting, why is it so difficult to convince them that Hebrew origin stories or even Hebrew history-telling also allow for non-factual or non-linear reporting? It seems to me if they can concede the point on genealogies they can concede it on other genres too, so it seems strange to me to call something a label that clearly stretches the boundaries of the label, just because that label makes people more comfortable with the lack of objective historical or scientific fact corroboration.

3 Likes

Going back to discourse analysis of Genesis 1, I think there are several other discourse markers that need to be part of the discussion - and these are not generally found in genealogies. For example the creating of three spaces on the first three days (plus a finale to start life off), then a filling of those spaces in the next three days (plus a finale of humanity). All of this is marked with repeated phrases such as “And God said…” etc. I don’t think that structure can be ignored. It is a key part of the genre. I am enjoying all of the discussion though - as a mathematician turned linguist, I’m finding it fascinating!

3 Likes

Are you saying Gen. 2 is not referring to the same creation as Gen. 1?

“Irrelevant”" is a bit of a strong word. In this case, I think we’re clear that it’s usually an expression or phrase denoting a genealogy, with the possible exception of its first use which we’re trying to figure out. So I’m not suggesting that the secondary meaning should take precedence, just that it might help us figure out if we’re totally off-track or not. And when I look at it, it seems to fit (or not falsify) the shades of meaning suggested by looking at the Greek/English translations. Does that make sense?

Of course if someone with actual knowledge of Hebrew (which I certainly don’t claim — I tried to make that clear earlier) wants to weigh in to confirm, deny, or expound further, that would be awesome!

As for Genesis 1 vs. 2, I seem to remember somewhere that the chapter divisions weren’t original to the text. What is general evengelical opinion on this? At any rate, if the ‘toledot’ phrase can appear either at the end or the beginning of the genealogy it addresses, then I don’t think it looks like a major problem?

FYI -

The Hebrew Bible was also divided into some larger sections. In Israel the Torah (its first five books) were divided into 154 sections so that they could be read through aloud in weekly worship over the course of three years. In Babylonia it was divided into 53 or 54 sections (Parashat ha-Shavua) so it could be read through in one year.

[See below for section on New Testament]

Since at least 916 [C.E.] the Tanakh has contained an extensive system of multiple levels of section, paragraph, and phrasal divisions that were indicated in Masoretic vocalization and cantillation markings. One of the most frequent of these was a special type of punctuation, the sof passuq, symbol for a full stop or sentence break, resembling the colon (:slight_smile: of English and Latin orthography.

With the advent of the printing press and the translation of the Bible into English, Old Testament versifications were made that correspond predominantly with the existing Hebrew full stops, with a few isolated exceptions. Most attribute these to Rabbi Isaac Nathan ben Kalonymus’s work for the first Hebrew Bible concordance around 1440. [Footnote 6]

[Footnote 6: "Moore, G.F. The Vulgate Chapters and Numbered Verses in the Hebrew Bible, pages 73–78 at JSTOR. page 75.]

URL link to the Vulgate:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3259119?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

[New Testament Discussion]
The New Testament was divided into topical sections known as kephalaia by the fourth century. Eusebius of Caesarea divided the gospels into parts that he listed in tables or canons. Neither of these systems corresponds with modern chapter divisions.

Chapter divisions, with titles, are also found in the 9th century Tours manuscript, Paris Bibliothèque Nationale MS Lat. 3, the so-called Bible of Rorigo. Archbishop Stephen Langton and Cardinal Hugo de Sancto Caro developed different schemas for systematic division of the Bible in the early 13th century. It is the system of Archbishop Langton on which the modern chapter divisions are based.

While chapter divisions have become nearly universal, editions of the Bible have sometimes been published without them. Such editions, which typically use thematic or literary criteria to divide the biblical books instead, include

John Locke’s Paraphrase and Notes on the Epistles of St. Paul (1707),
Alexander Campbell’s The Sacred Writings (1826),
Richard Moulton’s The Modern Reader’s Bible (1907),
Ernest Sutherland Bates’ The Bible Designed to Be Read as Living Literature (1936),
The Books of the Bible (2007) from the International Bible Society (Biblica),
and the ESV Reader’s Bible from Crossway Books.

The division is not related to the chapter divisions, it is based on structure, vocabulary (like the word for God), and other textual criticism considerations. I’m not a Hebrew scholar either, but I think the toledot phrase is always an introduction of a new section.

1 Like

You are correct about the toledot. Some commentators note that Genesis 1 does not have one, and so they conclude that verse 1 sort of functions like one anyway. That, however, depends on how you translate verses 1-3:

“In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth [full stop]. And the earth was without form, etc. [full stop]. And God said, ‘Let there be…’”

or

“When God began to create the heavens and the earth [comma], the earth was without form and void, etc. [full stop]. Then God said, ‘Let there be…’” The second option makes 1:1 look less like a summary statement and more like an introductory clause. Plus, “toledot” is nowhere to be found in verse one. :slight_smile:

Oh, grammar. Such fun.

I recall Henry Morris arguing that in fact the toledots did function as post-scripts rather than introductions. That was an interesting idea, but I don’t think it holds much weight when you look at it more closely.

I’m not sure how you get from:

…to a different creation. Again, they are two different stories. In Genesis 2, it tells the story of the ERETZ where God planted a garden. Seeing how the ERETZ where the garden was planted was in the Eden region, that is, the EDEN ERETZ, you could say it was the story of “The Story of Man in Eden Land.”

As many scholars have pointed out for as long as the Hebrew text of Genesis has existed, the word ERETZ means land, country, nation, region, wilderness (in the KJV Bible), and in some contexts dirt, soil, or even “the ground”. To say it means “planet earth” is to anachronistically plant modern day notions into the Hebrew text–and even to plant them into the 1611 KJV were “earth” in the English language of the time more often meant dirt and “the ground” than “planet earth”. (Much like in Hebrew, “earth” at that time USUALLY meant soil as in “a tiller of the earth” and the opposite of the heavens, as in “falling to the ground.”) ERETZ YISRAEL in ancient Israel meant “Land of Israel” or “Nation of Israel” just as it does today in modern Israel. Nobody has ever assumed ERETZ YISRAEL means “planet Israel”. So it always frustrates me when people see ERETZ in Genesis and assume “planet earth”. Yes, it is a popular tradition dating back to the KJV itself, and most modern translations have to retain the word “earth” despite the confusion it spawns—but in the footnotes at the bottom of the page, they show the better translation for ERETZ: “or land, country.”

I assume that when the Book of Genesis was written, the author(s) wanted a “preface” to the story of the creation of the Children of Israel, and the two best known origins stories were chosen to describe the backdrop, where the God of Israel is declared to be the creator of everything. This in no way detracts from divine inspiration. Indeed, probably all of the pericopes of Genesis 1 to 11 were popular oral stories known in that area of the world. And what could be more grand that opening the book with a HYMNIC TRIBUTE to ELOHIM, where the story of creation is told as a six stanza hymn with a repeating chorus which depicts God as the creator of all of the domains of the universe, in contrast to the neighboring cultures where each of those same domains was attributed to a different deity. Israel’s God is so powerful that he made everything in a single workweek. This is a perfectly sensible literary device and the structure of Genesis 1, with lots of chiasms, the use of sevens and threes, and so many other beautiful features of the genre underscore that this is not a science lesson on the origins of the universe. It is theology.

Of course, in the ERETZ EDEN story that follows in Genesis 2:4ff, none of those features are seen because it is a different literary work from a different source and a different purpose. Moses and Joshua and other likely editors weaved these stories into a beautiful whole to the glory of God. If that is jarring to those who were originally taught that Moses sat down each evening under the glow of the pillar of fire by night and wrote out the entire Torah as his original work–like it was jarring for me long ago–I can only recommend careful reflection that God’s ways are not our ways.

Of course, once one recognizes the separate components of the book of Genesis, there is nothing wrong with regarding the ERETZ EDEN story as a summary of various highlights of the original creation hymnic tribute in Genesis 1. The editors of Genesis probably regarded it that way.

Is there anything heretical about this view? Not that I can see. Does it mean that the authors of Genesis got the history wrong? No. We just have to understand history as ancient people understood it.

I once had a conversation with the man in an office next to mine when I took a job in the university’s computer center when I went back to graduate school in mid-life. He had a PhD in Physics from his native nation of India. One day he asked me questions about my Christian faith and academic background so I asked him about his. In a very tactful way I asked him how his Hindu view of our planet resting on the backs of four elephants fit into his understanding of science. He found my question perplexing because he thought that a Christian who “believed in Genesis” would be faced with the very same kind of situation. He did indeed consider the world to rest on four elephants, but it was very difficult to even discuss the idea of “literal meaning.” He would always say that “yes the world rests on four elephants”—but that statement didn’t mean the same thing to him as what non-Hindus would assume. I can’t say that I even understood him, but I think he understood that statement as a very PHILOSOPHICAL idea. He most certainly considered it true. But if you asked him how the universe was formed and how the earth related to the sun and other planets, you’d hear a conventional astronomy lesson that we would all accept. It just wasn’t a conflict for him.

I suppose when I say that I consider Genesis 1 to be true, most non-Christians would be just as perplexed that my scientific background would allow that. But I consider the word “literal” one of the most ambiguous and confusing words we could tap for these types of discussions. It is a word that creates more confusion than clarity. (I would even say that Genesis 1 uses the word YOM in a literal sense in that it is a hymnic genre where the days don’t stand for billions of years. I say that despite the fact that I affirm the billions of years of the history of the universe. I see Genesis 1 as using a single work-week to illustrate God’s power and dominion over the universe, not a science lesson. So the author used a work-week to teach us about God, not the origins of the world in a scientific sense.)

This is probably murky as mud, so let me know if it has communicated anything worthwhile.

2 Likes

I think of using a week to structure a poem about creation as similar to English poems I have read that use a year to structure a poem about a person’s life. (Where spring is youth and summer is the prime and fall is middle age and winter is old age; it is a common enough literary device). No one would argue that the life the poem describes had to have been lived out in the span of a literal year because the author used the words spring, summer, fall, and winter, and we all know those words indicate three month time spans.The fact that the seasons are an organizational device for the poem is clear.

3 Likes

@gbrooks9 Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks for all the info on chapter divisions, that’s way more than I had before!

1 Like