A Confession of Liberal Intolerance

Fair enough. I guess the tone of the two replies to the original post felt a little bit off message.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for joining in the conversation. As one of the folks you’re responding to, I just wanted to respond briefly and say I agree with Christy’s comments. In her case (and Christy, if this is saying too much, please feel free to use your superhuman editorial powers to delete this), the cooperation is in the realm of literacy for minority language groups. So if UNESCO is gung-ho about helping minority language groups gain access to literacy, and they’re willing to partner with a Christian organization, then why would that organization not partner and gain access to a far wider reach and far greater resources toward their goals of serving these people groups? Unless, of course, UNESCO said they had to translate pro-transgender propaganda and create pro-abortion family planning shell books as part of the package or some such.

At any rate, my tone was out of step with the irenic standards of BioLogos’s comment boards, and not befitting a Christian speaking of other Christians, so I apologize for that.

As I read your words, I’m really amazed at how things have changed, you know? Less than a generation ago, the winds were blowing in the other direction from what you describe, and your statement,

would have been completed not with “fundamentalists” but “compromising liberals.” (The odious term “libtard” had not yet been invented a half-generation ago.) Some of us who aren’t that old are old enough to remember such times vividly. Certainly this is part of the problem… and the cycle continues. And comments like mine perpetuate it.

The Body of Christ should be “neither liberal nor conservative, fundamentalist nor progressive, but Christ is all, and is in all” (Col 3:11, paraphrased :slight_smile: ). To the extent that it isn’t, it’s to our shame. I normally work to build bridges in this regard, but I wasn’t consistent here. Thanks for the needed correction, sister.

Peace to you.

2 Likes

I hope there is room for me on your penitent bandwagon. My “fun at others expense” comment was probably the more egregious departure that drew Amy’s necessary criticism in the first place. Sorry about that. Not that valid criticisms of all those things shouldn’t be aired, but I can lose the mockery while doing it, and also not dismiss the many valid concerns (which I certainly don’t dismiss) whatever the mixed bag is that they are bundled with.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.