A change of mind regarding the firmament and waters above

Good luck with tracing the genealogy of that model - it may have adopted the seven heavens from late Babylonian thought, or from the seven spheres of Greek cosmology, the latter being a little more likely in that the spheres were surrounded by a crystal sphere of aether holding the stars.

But mountain goats above that don’t come from any cosmology I’ve ever seen, and an extra level has been added to whichever scheme they used for Allah.

But that makes the text representative of a cosmology, and that isn’t its purpose at all. From the total text of the actual saying Mohammad’s purpose was, literally, to put as much distance between mankind and Allah as possible. He starts by getting them to notice the rainclouds, then says the distance between his hearers and the clouds in the sky (the heavens) is 71, or 72, or 73 years, and then starts multiplying heavens. Evidently the people were impressed with his theology of transcendence, rather than nodding at his grasp of a cosmology they all shared!

Bearing in mind that the Hadith compilations postdate the start of Islam by a century or two (so maybe eighth of ninth century AD, several centuries into the Ptolemaic era), and their eclectic nature, there’s plenty of room to speculate on their influences - but a clear line through from the second millennium is notably absent. If Mohammad’s ocean had any floodgates in it, the water would wipe out all seven heavens before it even reached the usual rainclouds!

This is the particular logical error called “begging the question”. And of course, it should more correctly be expressed: “How many times does the Bible use ‘waters’ as a synonym for ‘clouds’?”, or the question is begged even more.

original disputed point: When Genesis refers to “waters above the firmament” does it mean an ocean, or clouds?

So how often “waters above the firmament” occurs in texts is irrelevant, and the answer to that is “just a few times”. Therefore, the proponent of “oceans” must say it never refers to clouds, whereas I say it always refers to clouds.

The only point at which it becomes evidential is that at least one text refers to waters being bound up in the clouds, and in that case it certainly uses “waters” for “clouds”.

@Jon_Garvey

I think not. The waters are clearly above the firmament; clouds below the firmament. Clouds rise up with mist to the firmament where, like water bottles in King James (or, better, like leather water skins) they are filled with water via openings in the firmament.

The waters above the firmament make the sky blue. The waters in clouds (from above) make for rain. But apparently rain is sometimes described as coming from openings… so either they both participate or the use of clouds in one verse is so obvious it was assumed silently.

A Babylonian origin is more likely, since the Quran mentions “Seven Heavens and Seven Earths”, exactly what Mesopotamian texts say, it also says that the stars are in the lowest heaven, so is completely incompatible with Ptolemaic cosmology.

@Jon_Garvey,

In any case, the most complete and coherent description of “waters above and below” and how the upper waters are converted to rain appears to be contained within the Old Testament.

And that the Biblical version is by far the least superstitious or, dare we say, “pagan” version. Instead of Heaven being the body of a whole god, or the flesh of half a god’s body, it is a mindless aggregation of non-deified waters.

So - - a vast step in the right direction from the Egyptian, Sumerian and Akkadian viewpoints … but nevertheless, in error.

It’s possible, Reggie - though Muhammad has added an ocean and goats that were never seen in Babylon! The lesson is surely that assessing an ancient cosmology from religious texts maybe two millennia later and coming from a region never under the control of Babylon, but with Jewish and Christian populations and on trade routes from everywhere … is … let’s say “imprecise”.

@Jon_Garvey

The irony here is that the Old Testament, with its elaborate scope of texts, has become the golden benchmark for the “2 Waters Creation Model”… and now we are quibbling over whether or not any other neighboring ANE culture comes close to the Biblical template for completeness of detail!

Hmm, maybe. To me the thing being demonstrated is that the proverbial “universal ANE cosmology” that is used to fill in the details of Israel’s is so full of holes as to sink in its own tehom without trace. Mesopotamia turrns out to have dry flat heavens supported on string rather than held up on pillars - and open at the edges. Egypt is all over the place, but at most has a cosmic river, not an ocean, and a sky supported by the air god. Ugarit has mountains that are matched to Job’s pillars of the heavens, but turn out not to be said to support the sky at all. And the biblical waters, as well as the nature of the raqia, remain ambiguous (that is, if “his waters wrapped in the clouds” are dismissed as irrelevant).

The oft made claims that “the Babylonians believed…” or “the Egyptians believed…” or “The Canaanites believed” turn out to be at best oversimplified (not to say often flat wrong). And the same is true of the claims about the Intertestamental (see below) and Patristic periods.

Having shown that the OT is well aware of rain clouds and even the distillation of rain, you yourself seem to have developed a novel personal Rube Goldberg model in which clouds are the immediate source of rain, but are fed from trapdoors in a hard firmament by waters above as well as by clouds rising from the earth. I’m not sure if any ANE scholars, liberal or conservative, would recognise that.

Someone above assured us that the second temple Jews could be relied on to know their own cosmology - a claim I dispute firstly because the time-lag is so great, and secondly because the sources give completely disparate pictures influenced by everything including the geocentric spherical earth model of the Greeks. The implication was that there is a consistent second temple model agreeing with the “goldfish bowl” ANE cosmology, and i predicted that there wouldn’t be when I checked.

My skepticism turns out to be largely to my own loss, because if we were to accept the claim about the reliability of second temple literature, then I have found what seems to be the one clear Jewish reference to the nature of the “pillars of heaven”, in 1 Enoch, one of the earlier and more important intertestamental sources (it is, after all, quoted in the NT). It states unequivocally that the heavens are supported on the four winds at the ends of the earth, which also govern the movements of the clouds and heavenly bodies. These winds, it repeats, are the pillars of heaven.

Are we allowed to accept that as valid in the absence of any other Hebrew description of pillars? Or does it get rejected because it does’t match the Victorian “vault and ocean” models? If it’s taken as evidence, it’s hard to imagine winds supporting both a solid firmament and a large body of water. But then Enoch doesn’t mention either a solid heavens or a body of celestial water.

Enoch however does say that the firmament stops at the edge of the world, beyond which is… a celestial ocean? Afraid not:

And beyond that abyss I saw a place which had no firmament of the heaven above, and no firmly founded earth beneath it: there was no water upon it, and no birds, but it was a waste and horrible place.

He seems to have in mind something rather like the real Babylonian heavens - a flat, circular something above a circular earth, the latter surrounded by an abyssal ocean which eventually ends in the chaotic - and dry - edge of creation. Other sources disagree with this and each other, as I predicted … but I’ve dealt with several here. Seely seems to have missed these as well as all the other primary sources I’ve cited in this these threads. I wonder why?

@Jon_Garvey

When people make extreme objections… the answers start getting extreme as well.

The OT clearly describes rain coming out of Windows in the sky. And the OT also clearly describes rain clouds as “water skins”.

If you come up with a better solution than: rain comes out of both, you will let us know, right?

I refer you to the answer I gave a while ago: Hebrew is rich in metaphor (especially in the absence of a complete scientific understanding of clouds, rain or sky), just as Akkadian is when it refers to the “teats of heaven” in parallel with “clouds”. In Egypt clouds were sometimes called “Shu’s bones”… but often they were called clouds.

Even English has as synonyms for cloud (to quote Roget’s Thesaurus): woolpack, mackerel sky, mares tails, and leaden skies. The English word “cloud” itself comes from Old English “clod”, meaning mud or earth. That doesn’t mean the Saxons thought the sky was made of mud.

@Jon_Garvey,

All I read here is your lyrical explanations for how Hebrew could be misunderstood.
But you haven’t actually made the case that Hebrew is being misunderstood.

Are you proposing that the King James “Water Bottles” (or better, “water skins”) should mean the same as “windows”?

or

Are you proposing that “water skins” should mean the same as “firmament”?

I see you clawing for air - - but I don’t see any serious effort by you to propose a solution. To me, the plain reading produces the conclusions we need. How would you propose the clouds come to be filled with waters?

A) The waters are divided into 2, above and below the firmament.

B) Rain comes from above, either from windows in the firmament and/or from “water skins” (clouds).

C) All of which is beside the point that if water comes through windows in the firmament, there’s a supply of waters above the firmament.

How about this:
Job 36:
‘He draws up the drops of water,
which distil as rain to the streams;
the clouds pour down their moisture
and abundant showers fall on mankind.
Who can understand how he spreads out the clouds,
how he thunders from his pavilion?

And I remind readers that I have already shown that doors or windows in heaven are used several times in Scripture, metaphorically (for blessings of grain, for drought, and so on), but only in the Flood narrative for water. Therefore the burden of proof is on those who wish to make Genesis a literal exception.

@Jon_Garvey

I’m still a little hazy about your distinction between “clouds” and a firm “firmament”. The Hebrew sources don’t seem to side with you as much as you imply. Let’s look at the Jewish Encyclopedia’s discussion of these various elements:

The first discussion is about the Biblical term for “Sapphire”:

“A highly prized sky-blue precious stone, frequently mentioned in the Old Testament and Apocrypha (Ex. xxiv. 10, xxviii. 18, xxxix. 11; Job xxviii. 6, 16; Cant. v. 14; Lam. iv. 7; Isa. liv. 11; Ezek. i. 26, x. 1, xxviii. 13; Tobit xiii. 20).”

“It is doubtful whether Job xxviii. 6 is correctly translated “it hath dust of gold.” The ancients, in any case, did not mean by “sapphire” the stone which is now known under that name, but the so-called lapis lazuli, in which are interspersed many pyrites that glitter like gold against the blue background.”

"… In the Old Testament the sapphire is enumerated among the stones on the breastplate of the high priest (Ex. xxviii. 18, xxxix. 11). In the prophetic description of the New Jerusalem sapphire is mentioned as forming the foundations of the city (Isa. liv. 11)… "

“…In the description of the theophany in Exodus and Ezekiel the foundation on which God’s throne rests—the dark-blue firmament with its golden stars—is compared to a floor inlaid with sapphires (Ex. xxiv. 10; Ezek. i. 26, x. 7).”

Jon, as you can see here, the firmament is indeed “firm” - - like a floor… a floor which supports a throne. I don’t think anyone would suggest a reed roof of a hut would support a throne.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In the article on Astronomy we read this about the Stars:
“The stars were supposed to be living creatures. If the difficult passage (Judges v. 20) may be regarded as other than a poetical figure, the stars “walk on the way”; they “come out” in the morning, and “go in” at night. By a miracle, sun and moon are made to stand suddenly still (Josh. x. 12). They fight from their courses like warriors on the march (Judges ib.)…” The author of the article doesn’t choose to relate how these heavenly warriors participate . . . but the Bible mentions fierce waters of a river helping in the battle. If there were no mention of the heavenly waters being released through openings, then we wouldn’t see the connection between the windows and the stars.

I hesitate to discuss the article about “clouds”, for fear that you would characterize the Jewish view of them as some kind of rube-Goldberg device, but I will soldier forward despite the risk:

“Regarding the origin and nature of the clouds. . . R. Joshua, referring to Deut. xi. 11 and Job xxxvi. 37, says that the clouds form a receptacle through which the water coming from above pours down as through a sieve; whence the name “sheḥaḳim” (grinders), as they “grind” the water into single rain-drops (Gen. R. xiii.; compare Bacher, “Die Agada der Tannaiten,” i. 136).”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The article on Rain is helpful in many ways. Jon, you once objected that the Babylonian idea of a salt water deity being cut in half and creating fresh water above was logically inconsistent. Jewish metaphysics rushes to the rescue for even this tittle of a problem:

"The source of rain is in dispute in the Talmud. R. Eliezer held the opinion that all the world drank the water of the ocean, quoting, “There went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground” (Gen. ii. 6). “The clouds,” he explained, “‘sweeten’ the salt water of the ocean.”

I don’t see much of a conflict. Clouds are cited as rising up over the oceans - - taking with them a load of salt water (the idea of distillation was not yet understood). But there was still waters already up there as well:

R. Joshua says that “. . . clouds [some if not all] are formed like bottles; they open their mouths to receive the water from the heights, and then they sprinkle the earth as through a sieve, with a hairbreadth space between the drops (Ta’an. 9b).”
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But the real fun is in the article on Cosmogony (treated on the page for ‘Firmament’):

“It is plain that not only in Gen. i., but in other Biblical cosmogonic descriptions (notably in Ps. civ. 5-9; also in Job xxxviii. 10; Ps. xxxiii. 6, lxv. 8; Prov. viii: 29; Jer. v. 22, xxxi. 35; the Prayer of Manasses), traits and incidents abound that suggest . . . Babylonian myth.”

“In the main, four theories have been advanced to account for this:
(1) Both the Babylonian and the Hebrew are varied versions of an originally common Semitic tradition.
(2) The Hebrews carried an originally Babylonian tradition with them when emigrating from Ur-Kasdim.
(3) They adopted the Babylonian epos during the Babylonian captivity.
(4) This tradition, originally Babylonian, as the background shows, had long before the Hebrew conquest of Palestine been carried to Canaan through the then universal domination of Babylon; and the Hebrews gradually appropriated it in the course of their own political and religious development. This last theory (Gunkel’s) is the most plausible. Gen. i. marks the final adaptation and recasting under the influence of theological ideas (i.e., monotheism; six days for work and the seventh day for rest).”

“As now found in Gen. i., it seems to be a composite of two, if not more, ancient myths. Besides those Babylonian elements indicated above, it contains reminiscences of another Babylonian tradition of a primitive (golden) age without bloodshed (vegetarianism), and recalls notions of non-Babylonian cycles (“the egg idea” in the brooding of the V04p281001.jpg, the Phenician V04p281002.jpg).”

“On the other hand, the Bible has preserved cosmogonies, or reminiscences of them, that are not of Babylonian origin. Gen. ii. 4 et seq., belonging, according to critics, to the Jahvistic source, starts with dry earth, and makes the sprouting of vegetation depend on man’s previous creation; that is, on his labor. This exhibits Palestinian coloring…”

“Ps. xc. 2 speaks of the time before the birth of the mountains and the parturition of earth and world. In Job xxxviii. it is said that God laid the foundations of the earth “when the morning stars sang together,” and all the “sons of God” broke forth in glee. In Ps. xxiv. 2 there is a reference to the mystery involved in God’s grounding the earth on the waters so that it can not be moved. These are not mere poetic explications of Gen. i. They are derived from other cosmogonic cycles, which a tone time may even have included, as among all other ancient peoples, a theogony (notice the “sons of God”; see Gunkel, “Genesis,” p. 119).”

[Genesis vs. Geology]
"The attempt to establish a concordance between Genesis and geology seems to do an injustice to science and religion both. The ancient Hebrews had a very imperfect conception of the structure of the universe. Gen. i. was not written to be a scientific treatise. It was to impress and to express the twin-doctrine of God’s creative omnipotence and of man’s dignity as being destined on earth to be a creator himself.

[The Beginning…]
With the Babylonians, the Hebrews believed that in the beginning, before earth and heaven had been separated (“created,” V04p281003.jpg), there were primeval ocean (“tehom,” always without the article) and darkness (V04p281004.jpg). From this the “word of God” (compare such passages as, God “roars” [V04p281005.jpg], Ps. xviii. 16; civ. 7) called forth light. He divided the waters: the upper waters he shut up in heaven, and on the lower He established the earth."

“In older descriptions the combat against the tehom is related with more details. Tehom (also Rahab) has helpers, the V04p281006.jpg and the Leviathan, Behemot, the “Naḥash Bariaḥ.” The following is the order of Creation as given in Gen. 1.: (1) the heaven; (2) the earth; (3) the plants; (4) the celestial bodies; (5) the animals; (6) man.”

“The Hebrews regarded the earth as a plain or a hill figured like a hemisphere, swimming on water. Over this is arched the solid vault of heaven. To this vault are fastened the lights, the stars. So slight is this elevation that birds may rise to it and fly along its expanse.”

And yet more rivulets of detail:

"Out of the mixture of light and darkness a thick substance came forth; this was the water which was spread in both directions above the darkness below and below the light above, and thus were the seven circles of heaven created like crystal, moist and dry; that is, like glass and ice (compare "a sea of glass,“Rev. iv. 6, xv. 2; “and the pure marble stones that seem like water,” Ḥag. 14b; compare Joël, “Blicke in die Religionsgeschichte,” i. 163 et seq.).”

“Out of the waves of the water below, which were turned into stones, the earth was formed on the second day of Creation, and the myriads of angels and all the heavenly hosts were created out of the lightning which flashed forth from the flery stone as God gazed upon it (compare Pesiḳ. i. 3a: “The firmament is made of water, and the stars and angels of fire,” and Cant. R. iii. 11: “The firmament is made of hoarfrost [Ezek. i. 22, “crystal”], and the Hayot of fire”).”

“Charles (“Book of the Secrets of Enoch,” 1896, p. 32) and Bousset (“Religion des Judenthums,” 1903, p. 470) find in this cosmogony traces of Egypto-Orphic influence; but a comparison with the Babylonian—that is, the Mandæan—cosmogony, with its upper world of light and lower world of darkness (see Brand, “Mandæische Religion,” 1889, pp. 41-44), is no less in place.”

And the summary of Hebrew cosmogony is a pleasant fusion of many ideas:

“The Hebrews must have had the same impulse toward speculation on the origin of things as had other groups of men; and as this impulse manifests itself always at a very early period in the evolution of mind (the tribal or national consciousness), one is safe in the a priori ascription to the Hebrews of the production and possession of cosmogonic legends at a very remote epoch.”

“This conclusion from analogy is corroborated by the study of the literary documents bearing on this point. Gunkel (l.c.) has demonstrated that the cosmogonic accounts or allusions thereto (technical archaic terms, like “tohu wabohu”; the use of words in an unusual sense, for instance V04p280001.jpg; and mythological personifications, like Rahab) display easily discernible signs of incorporated old material (Gen. i., ii.; Job xxvi. 12, xl. 25, xli. 26; Ps. xl. 5, lxxiv. 12-19, lxxxvii. 4, lxxxix. 10; Isa. xxvii. 1, li. 9).”

“That Gen. i. belongs to the later strata of the Pentateuch (P) is conceded by all except those scholars that reject higher criticism altogether. Dillmann, for instance, and Delitzsch (in the last edition of his commentary) do not hesitate to assign it to the Priestly Code, though they would have it be pre-exilic. It certainly has the appearance of a systematic presentation, but nevertheless it is not a free invention.”

“It has long been recognized that Biblical cosmogony bears certain similarities to that of other peoples; e.g., the Phenicians (who speak of πνεῦμα and dark χαός originally existent; through their union, πόθος [“desire”], μότ [“primordial mud”] is generated; but of this μότ come the egg, etc. [for other versions see Damascius, “De Primis Principiis,” p. 125]; the wife of the first man is Βαθυ [=V04p280002.jpg]), or the Egyptians (who spoke of primeval water [“nun”] and the primeval egg [see Dillmann, Commentary on Genesis, p. 5, and De la Saussaye, “Religions-geschichte,” 2d ed., i. 146 et seq.]). The notion of the primeval egg seems to be a universal one (see Dillmann, l.c. p. 4; “Laws of Manu,” i. 5 et seq.).”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But in all these words, nothing resembles the actual physics of the Earth, and the stars as very distant, madly burning suns … which is, after all, the point of this whole discussion.

Whether by osmosis or by invention, the discussion by the Bible scribes of rain and sky and Earth and Heaven is a travesty of truth.

No. It would be begging the question if I were phrasing the question in a way which assumed that the Bible actually does use the word for waters when it really means clouds. But since I am not assuming the statement under discussion is true (I am saying it is false), and since you are the one who is assuming the statement under discussion is true (you are the one making the claim), I am not begging the question.

[quote=“Jon_Garvey, post:22, topic:36116”]
So how often “waters above the firmament” occurs in texts is irrelevant,[/quote]

I did not ask that.

A text which speaks of the waters being bound up in the clouds (Job 26:8), is differentiating the waters from the clouds; it is not saying that the waters are the clouds. The passage makes this very clear.

Job 26:
8 He locks the waters in his clouds,
and the clouds do not burst with the weight of them.

The waters are spoken of as being locked in the clouds, and the clouds are containers for the water, which is weighty. The clouds are not the waters, and the waters are not the clouds. This verse demonstrates very clearly that the Hebrews differentiated the waters from the clouds.

So once again, do you have any lexical data whatsoever which indicates that the Hebrews used the word for “waters” when they were actually referring to the clouds?

1 Like

Where is the evidence for all these bold claims? Let’s look at Horowitz’s “Mesopotamian Cosmic Geography”, a book you have cited with great admiration.

• The Apsu is a cosmic subterranean lake.

These common elements suggest that the Apsu can be thought of as a cosmic subterranean lake that maintains a constant surface level.

This matches the subterranean waters of the Bible.

• The earth is a flat disc.

All of the available evidence demonstrates that the earth’s surface was thought to be basically circular in shape. The geographic terms kippat matiiti ‘circle of the lands’, kippat erf}eti ‘circle of earth’, kippat tubuqat erbetti ‘circle of the four corners’, kippat sar erbetti ‘circle of the four winds’, and kippat erbetti 'circle of the four (regions), (see CAD K 399 3), if understood literally, demonstrate that the earth’s surface was a circle.

This matches the description of the earth in the Bible, which is also described as a circle, and described using the same language of four corners and four winds.

• The Mesopotamian traditions describe the heavens as made from either water or stone.

There are two traditions concerning the composition of the heavens. According to one tradition, the heavens are made of water. In the second, the heavens are made of stone.

Horowitz notes that the description of the heavens as made from water, and the separation of the waters above from the waters below with a physical barrier (the body of Tiamat), matches the description in the Bible of the waters above and below being separated by a solid firmament.

Explicit statements that the heavens are made of water are found in Baby-lonian texts. Examples include Ee IV 137-46, where Marduk builds the heavens out of part of the watery corpse of Tiamat, and Inamgisuranki, where the Akkadian name for heaven, same, is explained as sa me ‘of water’ (Livingstone 32:6; see p. 224). In Ee IV 139-40, Marduk stretches out a skin and assigns guards to keep the waters of heaven from draining downward onto lower regions of the universe. These traditions may be compared with Genesis 1, where the primeval waters are divided in two, with the upper waters positioned above the firmament (:I7’v1), and Psalms 104:3 and 148:4, which speak of waters above the heavens.

• The floor of Marduk’s heavenly cella has a solid blue floor which is visible as the sky.

The interior of Marduk’s cella in the Middle Heavens is not seen from earth, but its blue saggilmud-stone floor may be visible as the blue sky (see p. 9).

Horowitz notes that this solid blue floor matches the description of the solid blue floor of the heavenly domain of God in the Bible, and notes that this solid blue floor in the Bible is also the Hebrew sky.

Furthermore, it may be assumed that each stone floor was visi-ble from bel~w and served as a roof for the region below. These assumptions find support III a parallel from Exodus, where the floor of heaven is apparently built of blue brick: Then Moses, Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel rose up and they saw the God of Israel, and beneath his feet was the likeness of “sap-phire” (Hebrew 1’00) brick just like the heavens for clarity. Exodus 24:9-10 (cf. Ezekiel 1:26-28, 10:1) Hebrew ‘sapphire’, which is equated with Greek CHimp8tpOt; and Latin sappirus, IS a blue stone and has often been identified with lapis-Iazuli.13 Thus, the blue brick floor of heaven in Exodus, when seen from below, may be identified with the blue background color of the sky on clear days and the darker blue of the clear night sky. In KAR 307 30-31, Anu and the Igigi apparently stand on ~uludanitu-stone and saggilmud-stone floors of the Upper and Middle Heavens, Just as the God of Israel stands on a blue ‘sapphire’ brick heavenly floor in Exodus.

• In the Mesopotamian cosmology, the stars are inscribed onto the solid heavens.

In KAR 307, the stars are said to be inscribed upon the lower jasper heavens.

Similarly, in Genesis 1 the heavenly bodies are set into the firmament (which has a surface, in front of which the birds fly).

• In the Mesopotamian cosmology, heaven and earth meet at the horizon, and the sun moves from heaven to earth and back again at sunrise and sunset.

In Bit Rimki, an.ur = isid same is the place where heaven and earth meet and the Sun passes from heaven to earth at sunrise:

Terms for ‘horizon’ refer to the lower portion of the sky, including the actual horizon where heaven and earth meet and a band above the horizon.

A number of passages explain that the far ends of the earth’s surface and heaven meet at the horizon (see pp. 330-31). Hence, the corners and sides of heaven are also those of the earth’s surface.

All of the available evidence agrees that the earth’s surface ends at the horizon, the place where heaven and earth meet.

The Bible describes the horizon in the same way, as being on the surface of the waters (Job 26:10, Proverbs 8:27).

3 Likes

I’m confused. Was God walking on the floor of heaven on Exodus 24 or was the body he was walking on being compared to the substance of heaven?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.