"Why we contradict ourselves..." D.Kahneman

Daniel Kahneman discusses with Krista Tippet in this “On Being” interview his take on why we should take our own (and others’) reasons for beliefs a lot less seriously than we do. See what you think. (… and why you’re quite likely irrational to think so. :smile:) Behind any levity, here though, is a quite serious proposition to take to heart as we each attempt to persuade others of propositions that are important to us.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Kahneman is the best; I frequently urge my colleagues in editorial work to read Thinking, Fast and Slow. I will listen to this sometime soon.

1 Like

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

1 Like

You sound very agreeable and conciliatory despite the contradictions :slight_smile:

When I began my enlightenment 22 years ago, I made the mistake of attempting to persuade others of the truth I discovered. But I quickly remembered the spiritual laws that Jesus taught us - “seek and ye will find, knock and the door will be open.” This is why I have an affinity for the dialogs of Plato and the Socratic method. Only by questioning our contradictory beliefs can we discover truth and no one can do this work for us. The posts that I write are written in this spirit, so if you see a contradiction in me, please tell me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.