Why we as Christians dont need to follow the Old Testament Law if it is from the same God?

Feel free to define which of the 616 laws are the ones you believe we must obey.

I have asked before, and there was no answer provided.

You really don’t know what Jesus meant, do you.

Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven…

Matthew 5:19

Not committing adultery and not stealing are in the same category as not shaving your beard. Got it.

I think you may need to discuss two aspects of the Law; (1) are we justified and saved by obeying the law? If so we must obey every thing in infinite detail, so that we may be without sin, or (2) we are justified by faith in Christ, but nonetheless we would gladly seek to avoid sin in any means within our power and capability, so that we demonstrate our willingness to avoid sinning by attempting to obey the law as expounded by Christ and the Apostles…

Option 2 is called Christianity.

Those who are in Christ do follow all 10. Again, we have entered the Sabbath rest by our faith in Christ. We have ceased our own works of sin and do the works of the Father as long as we live by the Spirit. If I on any day seek after the wealth of this world because of love of it, I break the Sabbath. If I seek the carnal, fleshly entertainment of this world on any day I break the Sabbath. If I sin on any day I am breaking the Sabbath. If I am living by the Spirit and I work on whatever day a person thinks is the Sabbth, I am keeping the Sabbath. If I pick up sticks to heat my home with on whatever day you call the Sabbath and I am doing it for love and care of my family, I am keeping the Sabbath. The Sabbath rest is in Christ and it or I should say Jesus, was given to man to give him rest from his labors in sin. Jesus is my Sabbath rest and in Him I rest from my own works of sin. Whether I work or sleep (rest) on the 7th day or the 1st day of the week, if it is done for love of God and my neighbor, I am keeping the Sabbath. The Sabbath rest in Christ was given to man for his benefit. Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath rest and I am in Him by faith in His work on the cross.
Every day in Christ is the Sabbath.

1 Like

I’m not going to start all over again. Either you saw God’s heart in the little essay or you didn’t. It appears not.

Check out the difference in the Greek between sabbath-rest and the other words used for sabbath. Sabbath-rest does not refer to the Sabbath day in the Ten Commandments’ laws of love. It also says there remains a sabbath rest, which means not yet. Of course Jesus is our rest, but that does not make the loving commandment about the day evaporate. I will not be surprised if we celebrate the Lord’s Day of Rest with thanksgiving in heaven.

Hebrews 4:9 Interlinear: there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God,

He was in the OT as well. You couldn’t have read the little essay or else you certainly did not read it with any understanding.

That is novel.

There remains therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God to keep, because the one who enters God’s rest has himsilf rested from his own actions, just as God did from His. So we must make every effort to enter that rest so we should not disobey God as the israelites did. If we live by the flesh we disobey and do not enter God’s Sabbath rest. But if we by the Spirit of Christ put to death the deeds of the flesh we abide in God’s Sabbath rest. So if I am working or participating in commerce on whatever day someone calls the Sabbath, but not doing it out of greed or trust in money rather than God, I am keeping the Sabbath day holy.
My faith in Christ produces works of righteousness, and those works are the works of God. Faith, love and obedience to the Father is the end of my disobedience and therefore I have entered into the original Sabbath of God.
I am surprised that anyone would even debate this topic who believes that the first 11 chapters are just myth or ideas that some backwards people made up. Im not saying you in particular because I dont know what you personally believe about the first 11 chapters of Genesis.

Heb 4:6-11 Therefore, since it is still true that some will enter it, and since those who once heard the good news failed to enter it because of their disobedience, 7 he again fixes a definite day—“Today”—saying long afterward through David, as already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God to keep, 10 because the one who enters God’s rest has himself rested from his own actions, just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one may fail by following their example of disobedience.

So as the scriptures state, “Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts.” So if you soften your heart and believe the good news about Jesus, and trust, love and obey Him, you enter God’s Sabbath rest.

Since you appear to be failing to understand anything I’ve said here or that was said in the little essay, you may continue your monologues without me.

Whether I understood it or not, the things that I have stated are true.

No, they are not. I’m sorry that you are not perceiving Jesus’ intent in Matthew 5, especially 5:19, for the purposes here.

Short and quick. I KEEP THE SABBATH DAY HOLY BY WALKING IN STEP WITH THE SPIRIT OF GOD.

Short and quick and you are still failing to understand. (Shouting does not help.)

How do you keep the Sabbath and what day is it?

You don’t know what day I’m talking about when the little essay’s title is The Lord’s Day of Rest. That tells us a lot, none of which would be considered complementary.

Goodnight.

GJDS,
I think the difference between our views is centered on the word in your post “expounded.”

You present Jesus as expounding on the law of Moses, if I understand you correctly.

I understand Jesus as replacing the old law with a new covenant and new commandments.

And I note there was confusion about this in the early church for believers of Gentile origin, until the council documented in Acts 15 made it certain that believers of Gentile origin are not expected to keep the law.

We don’t have to agree, just understand each other.

that seems a fair comment as we are in a new covenant

1 Like

I have no problem with Acts 15 because it is not talking about moral ‘laws of love’. Not cutting your beard is not in the same category as not committing adultery, even if is in the same list of six hundred whatever that you’ve made.

How do you explain Jesus talking about the commandments in Matthew 5? Then there’s the latter part of John 14 and the first of 1 John 5. ‘Commandments’ is plural. Submit to authorities says Paul in Romans. That sure sounds like a command, a dreaded rule or a mandate.

Obedient and loving little children don’t need to make fretful lists of their loving Father’s instructions. It’s about the heart.

The Sermon on the Mount, which covers Matthew 5 and more, is excellent proof that the law has passed away.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter,[c] not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks[d] one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus fulfilled the law, so it has passed away.
Yet, people who believe otherwise while saying it is ok to mow grass on the Sabbath are condemned by the passage.

Then the teaching continues:

Concerning Anger

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you…

Jesus quotes the law then replaces it. And again:

Concerning Adultery

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you…

Jesus quotes the law, then replaces it. And again:

Concerning Divorce

31 “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you…

And so on. Jesus fulfilled the law. It is no longer our obligation. We have a much more stringent requirement: to love God and to love one another.

Jesus was greater than Moses, and the law of Moses had its place and time.

This was settled before Acts 15 and confirmed in Acts 15.

No, he does not. He raises the bar. You conveniently left out the latter part of the verses where that is so obvious.

It’s about the heart, the changed and new heart. It is not about denying the existence of any laws. You can’t see that, can you. But you are not alone.