Why is something a sin in Christianity?

The Bible lists various forms of evil or sin. This implies that these actions are condemned because they are intrinsically bad, because committing them goes against God’s very nation. Such as murder. However, God only has one nature. There must be some sort of common thread as to explain what is moral and what is not moral. Therefore, if I took and put together every immoral act that exists, I would be able to identify something common of all of them that makes them sinful/evil.

What is that common thread? What makes something a sin in Christianity?

I believe the objective good is to preserve order in society, all other moral duties are mere extensions of this. I’ve come to the conclusion that this is why virtually all societies forbid murder, theft, lying and adultery

I think the common thread is habits of a self-destructive nature – habits which inhibit the growth and learning processes by which both individuals and communities improve the quality of life. A lot of these, like murder and theft, may be somewhat unchanging but others may not be. Some things which may have been destructive in the conditions of the ancient world may be constructive in the modern world, and some things which may have been constructive in the ancient world may now be destructive.

2 Likes

Good question. I think it comes down to the reverse of the greatest commandments to love God and love people. Anything that is essentially worship of a false god (greed, lust, pride) is sinful. And anything that results in unloving treatment of people is sinful.

3 Likes

Good question. I think it comes down to the reverse of the greatest commandments to love God and love people. Anything that is essentially worship of a false god (greed, lust, pride) is sinful. And anything that results in unloving treatment of people is sinful.

Good point. That reminds me of a point I heard by a certain psychologist that might lead me to formulate the following definition: all people have values. These values have relative degrees of importance to the individual, and this is constantly proven: at any given time, there are many things you could be doing. By choosing to do one of them, you have given it a higher value (at least in the current moment) then other possible actions/values. Thus, everyone has a hierarchy of values. In Christianity, God must always be on the top of the hierarchy of values. A sin is when something, in the long-term, short-term or just current moment, is when you displace God at the top of your hierarchy of values with some sort of other goal.

God created all humans and has made them special - each one with intrinsic value. When yous murder someone, you have murdered someone created by God’s image. You have placed your personal vendetta over the intrinsic value God has endowed the human with. When you get drunk, you’re placing your drinking above God. Obviously anything could happen when you’re drunk, including many either forms of sin. You could damage yourself, others, or you’re contributing to a drinking culture that can harm others. Etc, etc.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.