Who Doubts that God Does Miracles?

@Find_My_Way Have you ever dared to ask God how you can help to ease suffering? It could be anything-- animal welfare, the environment, your fellow man. The possibilities to do volunteer work are as endless as all the problems. You could be making a real difference. In a way we are supposed to be God’s hands.

It may FEEL right for him. But there is only one right. And thanks to people like James Randi, we now know the Pentecostal ‘church’ is not it.

Whoa…let’s be really careful about blanket statements pertaining to millions of believers worldwide.

-the guy who deletes things

2 Likes

Buddhism? Interesting. However I find Buddhism to be too similar to nihilism. They don’t accept responsibility or try to change the real World. They don’t help alleviate suffering any more than God does. It denies or simply ignores many aspects of reality.

I cannot break my attachment to existence, even if there were no God. I have existed and therefore I will always exist in some form or another. Energy is never destroyed, it only changes forms.

No, Buddhism is not the answer either.

Islam says hi.

Christian believers. This isn’t an Islamic forum.

2 Likes

I want to ease suffering. I desperately do. But I am not wealthy and any problems around me I come across are self-inflicted or petty, First-World set backs.

I have always dreamed of being like a Pastor, like some kind of Chaplain or counsellor. Someone people can go to, even those who are viewed as monsters of society… As long as they are repentant, I wish I could help them avoid things like suicide. I am very sensitive to misery and suffering, I know it well. I know what it is to be a victim and a monster. I believe I could help others. But, how? I am not very charismatic. Were I to become a pastor, no one would remain at my building for long. I would focus on the areas that all others seem to either ignore or gloss over in order to keep everyone entertained and happy.

You are correct. As you know, I am a Baptist; however, Pentecostals are still brothers in Christ. We need to respect them too. Also, Dr, Amos Yong is Neo-Pentecostal. He seems to me to be a fine Christian man.

One does not have to be charismatic to be a servant of God. You need to have faith and not disbelief.

How is a Baptist different from a Pentecostal believer? How is a Baptist different from an anglican believer?

INTERPRETATION!

And there can only be one interpretation that fits with REALITY.

My goal is to find that correct interpretation.

I have so far concluded that, a Pentecostal person MAY believe in Jesus and therefore technically be a Christian, but he is still living part of a LIE! Because he believes in having fits for God, because he believes in faith healers. Because he believes that speaking in tongues is to spew gibberish and not actual languages.

I don’t see how I can make this any clearer…

Oh, you’ve been perfectly clear. And presumably, you can make things even more clear by stating whether you think people “living a lie” can find eternal rest in the Afterlife?

It sounds like you think they can’t.

George

1 Like

Of course they can, if they believe in Jesus Christ and are saved, if they abandon their sinful ways and all that which we are commanded… Yes, they can find an afterlife, the ONLY afterlife worth believing in. The Christian afterlife. But when they get there, no doubt they will be corrected and will have no choice but to do away with their erroneous beliefs.

In the meantime, all they are doing is hurting the quest for truth. Hurting Human progress.

You don’t have to be rich to help people (or animals, or the environment). Why not volunteer at a shelter? You could walk dogs, help socialize them to make them ready for re-homing. Or you could volunteer at a soup kitchen fixing meals for poor people. Or you could do clean-up projects for the environment. The possibilities are ENDLESS. Or you could work a suicide hotline. That would be WONDERFUL. So dare to ask God to show you where you are needed. Something will come up.

I think your faith needs shoring up before studying for the ministry! You don’t need to be charismatic like a televangelist swindling trusting folks out of their hard-earned money! The best pastors are those who have a real heart for people, working evenings and weekends shepherding them through their problems. (The word "pastor’ means “shepherd.”) Maybe you could take some courses at a local college or church to see if further study would appeal to you.

Good luck to you!

1 Like

Now THAT… Is a really good idea. How come this idea never occurred to me? I am intimately familiar with that kind of struggle.

You lack faith. I still advise you to seek professional help. I will not participate in circular arguments. May God help you.

Henry, they are only circular because you wont see reason. I don’t want to take away your faith. I only want you to question modern miracles. To see the problem with believing them. To see the myriad of real things in the World you would have to flat out ignore to believe them.

You are wrong in you assessment of me. I am not the one who is having a faith crisis. You are. I am not the one having problems. You are. I know there are miracles in this world and the very universe. You are the one doubting them. Until the establishment of the new heavens and new earth at the Second Coming of Christ, we will not live in a perfect world. I could discuss what causes this, but I am not. You will always try to counter with an argument that makes nonsense. No, I see reason. You are the one who sees no reason. My faith is stronger than you will ever be. I still suggest that you seek counseling from a professional. Your arguments are circular and make no sense. I have given you advice. If you will not accept it, then you must continue to suffer in your doubts and fears. The argument you propose is circular. Circular arguments are not logical and I will not participate in them. I am not afraid of you; I just do not want to waste my time. I have given you advice; however, if you will not accept it, it is your problem. You simply lack faith. If you type anything else in reference to me, I will delete it. Why? I have other better things to do than argue with someone who lacks reason. You are just torturing yourself. God help you.

I am offering evidence. You are offering your faith. Your unwavering belief that miracles do occur. But what is that faith based on? Eye-witness accounts? Personal experience?
How can I be the one who is being unreasonable when I am the only one willing to question things? The only one providing evidence that they do not occur Today?

Show me a miracle and I will pack my bags and walk, bowing to you on the way out.

I have described to you living, breathing, though ultimately blind and deaf evidence that miracles do NOT occur Today.

I’m glad I could help a little bit. And what a valuable service you could provide! The need is very great. Be sure to keep us informed of your progress in pursuing this.

1 Like

You have described nothing to me. Your words are empty and meaningless. Open your spiritual eyes and see the miracles that exists. I have much more than you because of Jesus. You are not here to discuss creation or how creation occurs. As my late father used to say, you are here to just stir up the pot. You just want to make controversy and not study the wonderful creation or help someone in the world to make it a better place. You want to start controversy here because you enjoy it. God help you. adieu!