Who are the ancient Semitic scholars that read Genesis as a regional flood?

Who are the ancient Semitic scholars that read Genesis as a regional flood and is that a consensus? I think I heard Michael Heiser say something similar to that.

1 Like

Welcome! Welcome! Hello! How are you? Please make yourself at home. Relax. Kick up your feet and set a spell.

Remember this one thing and you’ll have a blast: 1. No matter what they say about me, I’m not that terrible. 2. I am always right. 3. If you have any questions, just holler. 4. I don’t even know what modern day Semitic scholars think about the flood, but I’m working on it now.

Have fun!

1 Like

That would be the scholars who described the earth as a table with four corners – ergo only a small section of a planet rather than a whole planet.

Hi Paris.

Welcome to BioLogos! It is great to have you on board and part of our corner of the internet.

This is a great question but it would be helpful to have a little clarification. Are you thinking about scholars today or are you thinking about writers who lived in ancient times?

It wasn’t 100% clear to me from your question. But would be helpful to know so we can answer you as best as possible.

Once again, welcome, I hope you’ll find what you are looking for. In the meantime, you might like to look at the Common Questions section of the main BioLogos site - there are a few articles there about the flood you might find interesting.

I don’t think there is a solid consensus on it by any means. Many biblical scholar are still YEC. For centuries, a lot of things were missing and are being discovered and worked out again. Even concordances are being updated to reflect better info.

Then you have a large amount that believes the story is hyperbolic as a historical fiction and others believe it’s purely a literary world.

Ancient Semitic scholars alive or dead. Thanks.

Can you name any YEC ancient Semitic language scholars that believe in a global flood?

I don’t know of any ancient Semitic language scholars period. I don’t focus on finding scholars focused on it being a real flood and so I don’t know of any specifically. I don’t the thoughts are with there because I’ve read them. As for biblical scholars it depends on what that means to you. What’s the qualifications? Then maybe we can work on finding one. The majority of books I see written are by people with a masters in theology at best.

Now there are scholars like Tim Mackie who is a Old Testament scholar who also speaks hebrew. I don’t know what he believes other than I doubt he believes in a literal interpretation of a global flood.

I think he is asking about modern scholars of ancient Semitic literature.

Young earth scholars begin with biblical literalism as an a priori and rule out conclusions from scholarship that contradict their a priori commitments to biblical literalism (six day creation, global flood, Adam and Eve as sole progenitors, etc.) So, by definition, if someone is a “YEC scholar” they are pre-committed to belief in a global flood. It’s a premise, not a conclusion for them.

2 Likes

I see…
That is about like asking us to name scientists which believe in evolution.

I guess “biblical literalism” is by definition selective biblical literalism in defiance of what common sense would tell us they actually meant.

…ignore the fact that the Bible tells us the earth is filled with people and instead insist on “earth” meaning the planet when there was no concept of a planet at all, let alone the idea of the earth being a planet.

Does Biblical literalism mean…
We should take Mark 4:34 to mean that Jesus explained quantum physics to his disciples?
We should take Mark 8:24 to mean that the man now had X-ray, telescopic, and microscopic vision so that he could really see everything?

…just reflecting on the absurdity of the notion of “Biblical literalism”…

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.