I would argue that the first book of Genesis are sequential. The universe, earth, sun moon and stars, plant animals and humans were shown to be created in the Genesis 1 and a specific creation of Adam and the garden was created afterward. My Biblical evidence for this is as follows:
- Throughout the book of Genesis, the genealogy of the line not leading to Jesus is always given first, followed by the line leading to Jesus (Cain before Seth, Japheth and Ham before Shem and so on all the way through the book). Genesis 2:4 states “These are the generations of heaven and earth” using the same Hebrew word (“toldot”) as used in the genealogical examples. I believe this is a consistent approach where the men and woman in Chapter 1 were the line now leading to Jesus and then the line of Adam and Eve is given second.
- In Genesis 6, it states that the “sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair, and took them wives of all they choose” - I believe the “sons of God” were the decedents of Adam and Eve and the “daughters of men” were decedents of men and women from the Genesis 1 creation.
- Genesis 6 also states that Noah was “perfect in his generations” which to me means was a direct descendent of Adam and Eve.
- Scientific data also supports this theory - See "Genetic Adam and Eve did not live too far apart in time" in Nature
- I have additional detail in my book “Genesis and Evolution”, but it is not substantially longer than this post