Unity of Sci-Religion

Only if the persecution is limited. Japanese Christian persecution in the 15th-16th century wiped out Christianity entirely.

Persecution continued sporadically and over a period of 15 years, between 1617 and 1632, 205 missionaries and native Christians were executed for their faith. Christian teaching disintegrated until the arrival of Western missionaries in the nineteenth century."christian persecution in japan 1600s - Google Search

And then there is the very haunting question Jesus asked which I just noticed 3 weeks ago. Luke 18:8

ā€œNevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?ā€

This question has a haunting quality of it could really happen. It has bothered me a lot since I learned of it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a sweepingly grand claim that probably needs a whole book to unpack it. All I was able to see in the prior section was a pretty long list of a lot of good words - all undoubtedly related to each other somehow. But if that represented any ā€œgrand-unified understandingā€ in somebodyā€™s mind, that understanding was not communicated here (not to me anyway). Furthermore, the subsequent claim that it is all ā€œculture-independentā€ is a fatal red flag to my mind, as anything claiming to be culturally independent is ruinously deceptive (or self-deceived); but even if such a thing were possible, it would probably render any such a ā€˜removedā€™ system uselessly sterile since ā€œculturesā€ are those things in which we all live and relate.

1 Like

The key to an understanding of the dynamics underlying hierarchy arises as a direct outcome of the fledgling science of Communication Theory, borrowing the crucial concept of the meta-perspective. This is defined as a higher-order perspective on the viewpoint held by another: schematically defined as ā€œthis is how I see you-seeing me.ā€ The higher-order groupings of virtues/values are collectively ordered as subsets within a hierarchy of meta-perspectives, each more abstract grouping building upon that which it supersedes. Take, for example, the cardinal virtues described by Plato (prudence, justice, temperance, and fortitude), the theological virtues (faith-hope-charity-decency), and the classical Greek values (beauty-truth-goodness-wisdom). Each of these traditional groupings is further subdivided into four subordinate terms permitting precise point-for-point stacking within the hierarchy of meta-perspectives. Additional listings of ethical terms can further be added into the mix: namely, the personal ideals (glory-honor-dignity-integrity), the civil liberties (providence-liberty-civility-austerity), the humanistic values (peace-love-tranquility-equality), the mystical values (ecstasy-bliss-joy-harmony), etc. When taken in concert, the complete ten-level hierarchy of virtuous terms emerges in full detail, as partially reproduced in the compact table below (including the preliminary behavioral antecedents).

Appetite ā€¢ Rewards ---------- Aversion ā€¢ Tolerance
Solicitousness ā€¢ Approval ---------- Submission ā€¢ Leniency
Glory ā€¢ Prudence ---------- Honor ā€¢ Justice
Providence ā€¢ Faith ---------- Liberty ā€¢ Hope
Grace ā€¢ Beauty ---------- Free-Will ā€¢ Truth
Tranquility ā€¢ Ecstasy ---------- Equality ā€¢ Bliss

Reinforce ā€¢ Approach ---------- ā€“ Reinforce ā€¢ Avoidance
Desire ā€¢ Aspiration ---------- Worry ā€¢ Compliance
Dignity ā€¢ Temperance ---------- Integrity ā€¢ Fortitude
Civility ā€¢ Charity ---------- Austerity ā€¢ Decency
Magnanimity. ā€¢ Goodness ---------- Equanimity ā€¢ Wisdom
Love ā€¢ Joy ---------- Peace ā€¢ Harmony

This cohesive hierarchy of virtues, values, and ideals proves exceedingly comprehensive in scope, accounting for virtually every major theme celebrated within the Western ethical tradition. It is particularly easy to gain a sense of the increasing degree of abstraction when scanning the individual columns from top to bottom. The traditional sequences of virtuous themes line up seamlessly within this hierarchy of meta-perspectives: a format first proposed by Laing, et al (1966), and Watzlawick, et al (1967): although now seamlessly augmented through the addition of the virtues. Indeed, it proves exceedingly unlikely that this cohesive style of motivational system could have arisen solely by chance. This ethical hierarchy mirrors the specialization of personal, group, universal, humanitarian, and transcendental realms within human society as a whole: which (when further specialized into authority/follower roles) accounts for the full ten-level span of ethical terms.
world-peace.org

1 Like

One general observation, given your scheme is predicated on a platonic/aristotelian perspective, is that a lot of the west now rejects the major principles of those systems, i.e. formal and final cases.

I donā€™t understand your matrix, but you claim a non chance correlation between different virtues, which result in a threefold hierarchy based on the fundamental set operations. This sounds very interesting, and will be something I will ponder further.

Overall, your system reminds me of Thomism, which sought to unify the virtues of Plato and Aristotle with the Christian virtues. Aquinas ended up with a hierarchy, although the fundamental principle for him was not power dynamics, but maximizing existence. Specifically, for the individual this meant the beautific vision, a sort of ecstatic direct intellectual apprehension of the fundamental principle of existence. He defined God as this fundamental principle of maximal existence. Consequently, his project was very explicitly religious, although there is also an explicit division between what is common to all human reason (secular), and what can only be apprehended by faith, the latter including the beautific vision. That being said, the secular realm was also based on a more limited knowledge of God, accessed by his famous five ways (which, btw have very strong ties to intelligent design ; ).

As you may notice, the Aquinas sort of religion is very different from what we have today. Todayā€™s religion places a premium on blind faith, but this would be heresy to Aquinas. He thought of faith as a perfection of reason, and in fact said it is through reason that we directly hear the voice of God. Aquinas probably has the highest view of reason out of all the philosophers.

Anyways, I say all that because you may find a common traveller in Thomas Aquinas. He wrote a vast and intricately detailed, yet amazing cohesive ethical system.

In response to your insights,
The major groupings of virtues and values necessarily argue for a radical reinterpretation of the organizational principles at issue. The key salient insight resides in viewing the individual as the rightful product of a diverse range of social and cultural influences. In addition to the most basic one-to-one style of perĀ­sonal interaction, the individual is further incorporated into a broad range of group contexts (e.g., work, family, country, etc.), as well as some all-encompassing universal context. These individual contexts collectively summate into a unified ethical hierarchy consistent with the theoretical principles governing Set Theory. Set Theory remains in full agreement with the three-level model of the ethical hierarchy: with the unit set, the group set, and the universal set equating with the personal, group, and spiritual levels of authority, respectively.The concept of a three-level style of set hierarchy is actually nothing new, proposed centuries earlier by German philosopher, Emmanuel Kant. In his masterpiece, Critique of Pure Reason, Kant proposes a comprehensive system of conceptual categories he considers crucial to the formation of the human intellect. Most notable is the relevant category of quantity: which Kant further subdivides into the concepts of unity, plurality, and totality. Indeed, these three fundamental aspects equate to the notions of the one, the many, and the absolute: equivalent (in a human social sense) to the personal, group, and spiritual authority levels.
This three-level style of social hierarchy, although appealing in its simplicity, differs from Set Theory in that interactions between individuals do not exist solely in a vacuum, but rather are specialized into authority and follower roles. For the personal realm, this amounts to the personal authority and personal follower roles, extending to the group realm as the group authority and group representative variations, culminating in terms of the spiritual authority and spiritual disciple roles. A brief description of each of these authority and follower perspectives is certainly in order here, clearly outlining the proposed grand-scale unification of virtues, values, and ideals.
The most basic personal authority level refers to the one-to-one style of interaction occurring between individuals, much as typically encountered in oneā€™s personal friendships. This personal interplay is further specialized into either authority or follower roles: exemplified in the case of the master craftsman who remains dependent upon the services of his faithful apprentice. A similar scenario also holds true with respect to the hero and his sideĀ­kick, or the celebrity and his straight-man. Here the authority and follower roles flexibly complement one another in terms of such an equitable balance of power. The authority figure formally depends upon the attentions of his follower (as much as the other way around), resulting in an equivalent balance of power with respect to the personal realm.
This elementary personal foundation, in turn, extends to the equally pervasive domain characterizing the group authority perspective. The group set surpasses the unit set in terms of its expansion to a multitude of elements (or class members) within a group-focused context. Personal concerns now become subĀ­ordinate to such a group power base, being that enough group followers remain to continue group authority whether or not any single individual chooses to desert. In a single stroke, the group authority rises well above any personal power struggles, an innovation exploited since ancient times as the well-established custom of tribal-based authority.
Group authority, in turn, is susceptible to its own unique form of follower counter-maneuver: namely, that expressed by the group representative. The latterā€™s distinctive style of ā€œstrikeā€ leverage is fully realized at this juncture, as witĀ­nessed in the modern-day trend towards collective bargaining. By organizing as a union collective, the rank-and-file nominates a shop steward to represent them in their negotiations with management. The group representative, in essence, reminds the group authority that the cooperation of the labor pool is crucial for mainĀ­taining the group status quo. Consequently, the group authority (in concert with the group representative) shares an equivalent balance of power within the group power realm.
A similar pattern further holds true with respect to the spiritual authority level, although this sense of ā€œspiritualā€ is restricted to the universal sense of the term implicit in Set Theory. The universal set clearly surpasses the multiĀ­plicity of the group domain: in essence, the sum-totality of all such groups within the universal domain. The universal set represents the ā€œgroup of all group sets,ā€ a 3rd-order style of set-hierarchy (equivalent to the domain of all mankind). Indeed, whereas group authority surpasses the influence of the individual members, the spiritual authority figure similarly overĀ­rules the strike power of any of its constituent groups, whereby claiming authority over the sum-total of mankind.
It is true (in practice) that each of the worldā€™s religions competes for the beliefs of the worldā€™s faithful. In principle each religion vigilantly strives to convert all others, giving credence to the uniĀ­versal sense of the term. This claim to universality is traditionally made binding through an appeal to God or a Messiah-figure, a sanction dating to the earliest civilizations. Here a king could inspire the loyalty of his troops (in the name of a god of war) far in excess of what he might claim as a mere mortal ruler.
Taking this trend to the limit, even an authority role as abstract as the universal must (by definition) be susceptible to its own unique form of follower maneuver: e.g., that specified for the spirĀ­itual disciple. As spokesman for the spiritual congregation, the spiritual disciple reminds the spiritual authority that the blessings of the faithful are crucial for maintaining the spiritual status quo. Witness the power of the spiritual disciple for influencing such diverse historical events as the Protestant Reformation, and even the very founding of Christianity.

2 Likes

An important part of a personā€™s motivation to treat others with is respect is an innate capacity for empathy, where empathy allows one to perceive and understand the experiences of others. It has been proposed that we can know the mind of another only through either a simulationalist approach, using cognitive simulations, (as you stated) or a Theory Theory approach, using cognitive inference of mental states. There are weaknesses to either of these approaches.
Instead, a more feasible approach would be the second-person approach, in which others are seen through emotional perception and experienced in direct emotional engagement. We know them as we know ourselves (for discussion on this approach, see ā€œHow Infants Know Mindsā€ by Vasudevi Reddy). This approach has the potential for our interactions with others to be of a personal concern, not an impersonal action without meaning. We are then motivated to seek what is best for others.

Mark ā€“ I agree. as seen in Gestalt therapy . I and Thou (You ā€“ archaic usage), is a book by Martin Buber, published in 1923, and first translated from German to English in 1937.Buberā€™s main proposition is that we may address existence in two ways:

The attitude of the ā€œIā€ towards an ā€œItā€, towards an object that is separate in itself, which we either use or experience.
The attitude of the ā€œIā€ towards ā€œThouā€, in a relationship in which the other is not separated by discrete bounds.
One of the major themes of the book is that human life finds its meaningfulness in relationships. In Buberā€™s view, all of our relationships bring us ultimately into relationship with God, who is the Eternal Thou.

Buber explains that humans are defined by two word pairs: Iā€“It and Iā€“Thou.
the word pair Iā€“Thou describes the world of relations. This is the ā€œIā€ that does not objectify any ā€œItā€ but rather acknowledges a living relationship. Iā€“Thou relationships are sustained in the spirit and mind of an ā€œIā€ for however long the feeling or idea of relationship is the dominant mode of perception. A person sitting next to a complete stranger on a park bench may enter into an ā€œIā€“Thouā€ relationship with the stranger merely by beginning to think positively about people in general. The stranger is a person as well, and gets instantaneously drawn into a mental or spiritual relationship with the person whose positive thoughts necessarily include the stranger as a member of the set of persons about whom positive thoughts are directed. It is not necessary for the stranger to have any idea that he is being drawn into an ā€œIā€“Thouā€ relationship for such a relationship to arise.
If ā€œThouā€ is used in the context of an encounter with a human being, the human being is not He, She, or bound by anything. You do not experience the human being; rather you can only relate to him or her in the sacredness of the Iā€“Thou relation. The Iā€“Thou relationship cannot be explained; it simply is. Nothing can intervene in the Iā€“Thou relationship. Iā€“Thou is not a means to some object or goal, but a definitive relationship involving the whole being of each subject.

Like the Iā€“Thou relation, love is a subject-to-subject relationship. Love is not a relation of subject to object, but rather a relation in which both members in the relationship are subjects and share the unity of being.

The ultimate Thou is God. In the Iā€“Thou relation there are no barriers. This enables us to relate directly to God. God is ever-present in human consciousness, manifesting in music, literature, and other forms of culture. Inevitably, Thou is addressed as It, and the Iā€“Thou relation becomes the being of the Iā€“Thou relation. God is now spoken to directly, not spoken about.

There is no world that disconnects one from God, a world of It alone, when Iā€“Thou guides oneā€™s actions. ā€œOne who truly meets the world goes out also to God.ā€ God is the worldwide relation to all relations.

Buber makes a very important distinction between I-Thou and I-It. Empathy refers to emotional perception and understanding but it does not involve emotional sharing (although this is often assumed). Empathy may provide the basis for a way of relating that is one-sided (I-It) or that is reciprocal (I-Thou). The I-Thou relation includes emotional sharing as part of the experience. As you point out, the ā€œrelation is one in which both members in the relationship are subjects and share the unity of beingā€. This has been described as a we-experience, the experience of being part of a ā€˜weā€™, and in which each person identifies with the other.
The I-It way of relating does not include emotional sharing; to the contrary, it results in interaction characterized as monologue rather than dialogue. The relation is characterized by differentiation rather than identification.
I believe that this distinction between I-Thou and I-It ways of relating determines how a person behaves towards another. An I-Thou relation results in prosocial behavior towards another person, because of identification towards the other. An I-It relation results in disregard for another person; an individual behaves with self-interest, as he desires, and does not take into account the needs of another.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.