Understanding Genesis and Science: Why educators should give students the freedom to question

I live in Australia so I may be wrong, but I thought American society had a broader spectrum than this statement implies.

Are you saying that any biblical teaching will hinder children grasping modern science, or, as you say just teaching that condradicts

Because the article seems to agree with you in the latter view.

I believe that is great that you were exposed to such an open public education. I had this chance as well, but probably in the generation of your parents. Our children miss out on so much in public school today. Liberal Democratic Chicago even where Republicans tend to be liberal, e.g., Congressman John B. Anderson who ran for president in 1980. You received a good education.

Patrick,

Hello friend? Can you read Latin? If so, read this. Quid est veritas? If you do not understand, it means “what is truth?” The Governor of Palestine asked Jesus that. Now I ask you a question. Quo vadis, Patrick? You friend,

Charles Edward Miller

I must agree. Children should not be ignorant of the Bible. It has influenced Western Civilization greatly. Education is important. Why should we deny children the knowledge?

Stacey,
Education in the Unites States is typically controlled at the local school board level but have oversight by the individual States. In New Jersey both public and parochial schools science education cannot contain anything close to creationism or ID.

No, I am not saying that. Catholic education is very pro-science. The only issues that I see are YECs trying to educate children. That is pretty much forbidden in public and parochial schools that want to stay accredited and get State funding.

No Charles, I can’t read Latin. Nor do I want to. Do you read Python? Much more useful nowadays than Latin.
Regarding what is truth. Here is one truth for you - dinosaurs died out 66 millions years before humans inhabited the Earth.

2 Likes

I had a coursera course in Python! Taught by Rice U. I liked it.

1 Like

Shortly after I became a Christian, my pastor suggested I attend Graduate School at Regent College in Vancouver, BC. All the professors there which included J.I. Packer, Gordon Fee, Eugene Peterson, Bruce Waltke, Craig Gay and the list could go on helped me to integrate faith and thought. In fact, although I already had my BA, Regent College was the first place where I truly felt like people were actively engaged in learning and teaching.

Students had the freedom to ask the tough questions and grapple with doubts. Many of the lectures at Regent are available as downloads through www.regentaudio.com While I was there Rikk Watts joined the faculty and he more than any other I would say shaped my biblical imagination. So, I would highly recommend his series Knowing the Bible, Doing the Word.

I’m teaching a couple of my high school students Python right now. No Latin terms in it that I’m aware of.

Of course, to know Latin is probably to have a good start on knowing a half dozen major languages out there.

1 Like

@beaglelady,

I went to the same school with beaglelady. I learned the language of the great lion. Oh, Patrick, you never answered my question. Would you rather live in atheist North Korea or in America, a non-secular nation that allows freedom of speech and religion where one can believe what he wants? Are you afraid to answer my question? Please refer back to the first entry about this if you fail to remember. I also once held a local state office. This is what occurred:

I, Charles Edward Miller, Jr., do solemnly swear to execute the office to which I have been chosen and will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia so help me God.

Does that sound like a secular nation or one that allows religious liberty? I placed my hand on a Bible too.

Sorry for not answering your question. I value and will defend my freedom to live in a secular America. I think you got it wrong as we live in a secular America without a state sponsored religion.

I don’t think the “so help me God” nor the hand on the bible is required to take any oath in the United States.

That is therefore not a secular America; on the contrary, it is an America that allows religious liberty. A secular America would be no different than North Korea. We are not an atheistic country any more than this is a Christian country. It allows freedom of thought and religion. A secular or atheist country would not give those freedoms. We do agree on one thing Patrick: we believe in liberty and justice for all. Have a nice weekend. Also, Jack was right.

1 Like

I think that we are both fine Americans who cherish our freedoms and will do everything in our power to defend your freedoms and mine. Quoting JFK, “I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute”

1 Like

Hi Charles, I think you and Patrick are defining “secular” quite differently. You are defining it as the abolition of religion; Patrick is defining it as the freedom to believe as one wishes (or not at all).

2 Likes

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for sharing the work you are doing! I would love to hear your story of the Lions, if you don’t mind sharing it.

I must admit that what you are saying makes good sense. There is truth in what you are saying. I enjoy my talks with Patrick even though we disagree at times. I believe we are attempting to say the same thing in different ways.

I wouldn’t mind sharing at all!

Context, Culture, and Meaning

Directions: Please read the following story.

It was a great time of change in the country. A new president had been elected, and many felt that his election would steer the country in an entirely new direction. But in a particular small town in Indiana, no one was thinking about the social climate of the country: they were thinking about the big Friday night event, the event everyone in the entire town dropped everything to come and watch. Tonight was the night they would finally defeat their greatest enemy - Bloomville. The lions were ready to tear apart the opposition, to defeat them once and for all. They were pumped up by the painted-up crowd who was yelling, “We bleed green!” They were yelling so loudly that the team was certain that even kids playing on Frog Hill could hear them. The town knew that this would be the night of their lives; nothing mattered more.

Now, pretend like you are reading the story about 3000 years later (5000 CE).
What would you have to know to understand this story? What terms/phrases might confuse you?

After reading the story, I have them make a chart to list the terms/places/sayings that they understand now, but wouldn’t in 3000 years (Frog Hill, “We bleed green,” painted-up crowd). I usually read the story as a class and then have them complete the term chart in small groups. We then get back together as a whole group and talk about the tremendous difference in interpretations.

The final result is great. I particularly love their responses to “We bleed green!” which is what the crowd chants at our football games because our school color is green. Many students say that in the future interpretation of the story people would think that the crowd is literally bleeding green while watching lions rip apart human beings from Bloomeville.

considering that you described Germany as a secular country I would not consider you to look at secularism to have abolished religion but " not being exclusively allied with or against any particular religion." as in the definition of secular.

2 Likes

Perhaps you are right. However, I mean nothing bad by this, but I found atheistic views to be very strong there. And remember my friend, I am part German. Yes, there are Christian people; however, I did find many atheists in the Federal Republic in 1974. Did they mistreat me? No. I had many friends there particular among very nice ladies. That is a compliment on the beauty of German women. Still what you say is true. Ich fuehle mich jetzt nicht wohl, dehalb muss ich gehen. Beten Sie fuer mich, Marvin. Meine Augeninfektion macht mich krank. I do believe there may be a spiritual awakening there. There is a branch in the Federal Republic of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Bonn, Germany. I have made a friendship with a professor there, and he and I communicate every now and then. He is a Young Earth Creationist. Do I mention anything about his science views? No, for I am happy that he has found Christ and that is all that is important! There is more to this story; however, I am unable to discuss this now. I had no intention of insulting anyone. I was just reporting what I found there over forty years ago. Perhaps it would be better to forget the whole thing.