Tunnel vision regarding Genesis

True. All of our English week day names and month names are named from pagan mythology. (Norse, Roman, etc.)

Sun’s day, Moon’s’ day, Tiwaz’s Day, Odin’s Day, Thor’s day, Freia’s day, Saturn’s day.

You know who loved Norse mythology? C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien. And Wagner of course, although Marvel Comics has threatened to sue him.

Love me some Wagner!

Great video, but when does Bugs Bunny come in?

(Shawn T Murphy) #104

The seven Spirits of God have existed long before humans could speak and therefore, their names appear in all cultures in the names of the most basic celestial objects - the Sun, The Moon and the five visible planets. (As per John 1:1 Jesus has existed since the beginning, not just 2,000 years.) Here are the names of the says and the celestial bodies associated with the Seven Spirits of God.

• Sun-day: Jesus is represented as the center post in the Menorah and as the giver of life, represented by the sun.
  • Moon-day: Lucifer is the deceiver, the fallen light bearer, but he no longer has his own light and can only reflect that of others, thus his symbol of the moon and the significance if the eclipse at Jesus’ death, the moon’s short victory over the sun.
  • Tuesday: Raphael is the mate of Lucifer who remained true to Jesus. Mars in Old English twesdai.
  • Wednesday: Aholah is the fallen mate of Gabriel. Mercury in Old English (wōdnesdæg = Woden’s Day)
  • Thor’s-Day or Thunder-day: Gabriel, the Heralder of Heaven (Jupiter).
  • Friday: Ahoblibah is the fallen mate of Michael. Frigga in Old Norse, being an old translation of Venus.
  • Saturn-day: Michael is represented by the planet Saturn.

Not on my planet.

(Mervin Bitikofer) #106

I see your scriptural reference (John 1) for Jesus - that’s well and good!

However I didn’t see any scriptural reference whatsoever for the seven spirits of God as they correspond to the names of our days. Do you have any reasons to offer why we should consider all that on a site that adheres to consensus scriptures and science?

(Shawn T Murphy) #107

Mervin. I say this because the founders of science in the enlightened Greek culture had names for the seven spirits of God mentioned in Revelations 4 and Christianity does not. This is a blindspot in understanding the inspirations they discovered in God’s creation that could be useful today to gain more perspective.

Best Wishes, Shawn

(Mitchell W McKain) #108

To me this looks like a melding of Christianity and elements of pagan thought. Not being hostile to the pagan community, I find that interesting - as a non-believer though with regards to pagan beliefs. I was wondering if you are seeing this in any way like that… and how far it goes…

(Shawn T Murphy) #109

This is one of the reasons I am so much against the trinity doctrine. By lumping God’s vast creation under the concept of the Holy Spirit, we lose the beauty and diversity of the inhabitants of Heaven. Many Christians think there is only on angel in Heaven, Michael and some think he is God. There are three races on Earth, why not in Heaven?

Under the rule of King, Jesus, these three races were led by the other six Spirits of God before the Fall, now they are led by Raphael. Gabriel and Michael. None of this is pagan.

(Roger A. Sawtelle) #110

For the Jews their day of worship is the Sabbath, which begins on sundown on Friday our time. The first Christians were Jews, but the Sabbath was a point of conflict with leadership of the Jews.

On the other hand Jesus died on Friday, was in the grave on the Sabbath, and did not rise from the dead until the First Day of the week. The Holy Spirit came on Pentecost on Sunday the First day of the week. In this way God blessed and ordained the First day of the week as The Lord’s Day and gave Christians their own say of worship and created the weekend.

Sunday is the Lord’s Day for historical, spiritual reasons, not the mythological reasons that Shawn suggests. He and others prefer mythology to the Biblical history. .

This makes no sense. I don’t know anyone who thinks there is only one angel. There are loads of them, and they figure prominently in Scripture. Jesus mentioned that God could send 12 legions of angels to help him. He also mentioned that little children have angels.

In the church year there is a feast day called St Michael and All Angels, featuring a sermon, scripture readings, and hymns on the topic of angels. My very favorite hymn of all time is Christ the Fair Glory of the Holy Angels

Saint Thomas Aquinas studied the angels, and that’s why he is referred to as the “angelic doctor.”

Angels figure prominently in art, music, and folklore.

Even in the operatic literature, we find angels. In Humperdinck’s Hansel und Gretel, the children sing:

When at night I go to sleep,
Fourteen angels watch do keep
Two my head are guarding,
Two my feet are guiding
Two are on my right hand,

Two are on my left hand
Two who warmly hold me,
Two with love enfold me
Two who show me when I rise
The way to heaven’s paradise

Listen to an arrangement

(Shawn T Murphy) #112

Dear @beaglelady,
I agree there are countless angels as I have written. I am just answering these types of comments by @mitchellmckain who do not seem to agree, even as you say, the bible has hundreds of references to angels. Just because they are not called out by name in today’s bible, does not mean they do not exist.
Best Wishes, Shawn

(Shawn T Murphy) #113

Dear Roger,
My comments are not mythological, they are holistic in my mind. You are correct that Jesus was both born and died on a Friday, but He rose victorious from His victory over Death on Easter Sunday. Easter Sunday is the day of the New Covenant that Jesus brought and it is the day of the Lord.
Best Wishes, Shawn