Translating science for the average person: Part of our mission?

Ran across this blog today, found it interesting. One point that seems relevant to to discussion board here is that of trying to translate science for those who are not quite as up on it. Even the non-scientists here are pretty much science nerds, and it is difficult for those without even advanced high school science to relate sometimes:
https://scienceandbelief.org/2018/12/13/guest-post-normal-congregations-need-not-apply/?fbclid=IwAR25lJZhNT4AhOlFanTYPHIqW1_Dw2NM-oN8Bo0CLqXCSpXXl8_uWHd7mK8

2 Likes

Well put.
The incredible complexity of science convinces me too of God’s patience with us–there’s no way that we can know everything about the laws of the universe. In fact, pride that we can decide what it really is has divided many of us down the ages… @Mervin_Bitikofer was talking about how there are few Renaissance men now, probably because of the complexity. God “knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.”

Has anyone used an EC curriculum or the 6 part video series by the Haarsmas for discussing science with the church? Origins DVD - Deborah B Haarsma, Loren D Haarsma | Faith Alive Christian Resources

Perhaps also continuing to speak against lies like this can also go a long way. From the article:

“If I accept modern science, I’ll lose my Bible, Adam and Eve, and ultimately Jesus Christ.”

2 Likes

Thanks for that link, Phil. I couldn’t resist posting an affirmative comment on his site. But I’ll also paste here what I wrote there, as I don’t expect to get much real interaction their as I can at least hope for here.

Thanks for these observations, Mr. Cootsona. I’ve also noticed a surprising amount of silence over science / faith issues, even in contexts where outsiders might expect there should be lively discussion (and I live in a university town, and teach in a Christian high school!). But that apparent lack of visible engagement should not be mistaken for a total absence of the “intuitive cognitions” rumbling underneath the surface of the laity which is what I hear you stating in this article. I suspect that in an age where we’re already feeling fractured from neighbor, parishioner, and classmate in our political lives, we are loath to initiate conversations that we think (often rightly!) will just foment even more division. So we let the sleeping dogs lie. But (as I think you remind us in this article) – those dogs are not really asleep, and their quiet labors continue under the surface directing our cultural thought habits into the deepening ruts of conflict theses that continue to threaten and cause shipwreck to the faith of many. Thanks for your insights.

1 Like

Well said. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.