The Weird Phenomenon of Jesus Theme Parks

That amazes me.
Crucifixes or crosses?
My observation has been that crosses are common, but not crucifixes.
To be clear and ensure that you and I agree on the difference, a cross is above the crucifixes.

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 07-42-06 crucifix - Google Search
Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 07-39-44 crucifix - Google Search

As you might imagine, that was a totally made up number. And of course Baptists take great pains to point out they use the empty cross to symbolize that Christ has risen and is no longer on the cross, whereas the Catholics use the crucifix with Christ on the cross. On reflection, that is such a silly thing, as of course Christ rose from the tomb, not the cross, and the cross is significant only because of his atoning death. Again, shows how much we can get focused on the symbols and lose sight of Christ.

3 Likes

But you were just complaining about “white washing in history (blue eyed Jesus anyone?how about blonde Virgin Mary?)”

The question was about pictures of Jesus.

Ahhh! So you were messing with my mind! That’s a relief!

Thanks for the reality check confirmation.
The fact that I “knew” that is why I suggested “somebody” (else) ask you.

I assume you are okay with Jesus in movies, Jesus in nativity displays and pageants, and Jesus in illustrated Bibles and other materials for children.

The way Jesus is portrayed in art has varied throughout the ages in ways you can’t even imagine. When I see Jesus in art I think the message is, “The word became flesh and dwelt among us.”

In many ways yes, but they also show Jesus, Mary, etc. as olive-skinned, Mediterranean people.

1 Like

You noticed that, too, eh?
So what’s your personal, private opinion, if you have one? I won’t tell anyone …

poster

Product of “the world’s second oldest profession”, talented work of a pre-14th century artist, or potential evidence of a significant event?

1 Like

(It’s off topic and the shroud is not important?)

He looks like someone children would run away from.

Having seen and read a fair amount on the shroud, My personal opinion is that it is the work of a 14th century artist, given your options. I have read some of the alternative dating techniques that put it earlier, but they are not proven, and seem somewhat contrived.
Almost afraid to ask, but what do you think and why?

1 Like

It certainly should not affect anyone’s faith, one way or the other.

LOL! I have a “reputation” that precedes me?? Don’t believe anything a moderator says about me, … or a non-moderator, for that matter.
Personally, just between us, I lean heavily toward “evidence of a significant event”.

Just seems “to fit in” with what I believe the nature of physical objects to be, i.e. dimensionless atoms: the stuff of resurrections.

Just my paranoia kicking in. So often on forums and such, when someone asks a question, it is a setup for a “gotcha.” You do not have that reputation, but even among friends having a pint here at the pub, I stay a little wary.

To further elaborate on my impression of the shroud, it sort of bothers me also that it is just a little too good and uniform, and second, that the image is a little too similar to what artists of that era and region used in depicting Christ. So, even without carbon dating and such, I would be skeptical just on the physical appearance and condition.

2 Likes

Similarly, I used to want it to be true.

1 Like

Some smart person once said (I don’t remember where I read it) that “Christian” as an adjective can describe a person, but used for anything else it’s a marketing term. So I think about that when it comes to “Jesus theme parks.” But of course, I still buy plenty of “Christian” books and music and have been edified by a lot of it, so I don’t think it’s all bad, but still something to be aware of.

6 Likes

A friend of mine while she was in college a couple of decades ago said one of her professors duplicated the effect with glass several inches above the cloth, black paint and extended periods in the sun as it traversed its arc. (The 3D effect was one of the reasons I thought it might be true, too.)

That’s a really, really astute observation, IMO.

2 Likes

Yeah, and true too. XD

Waving “the red, white, and blue” doesn’t affect what I think about the U.S., but a lot of folks seem to think it’s fun to do.

I’m sure that must be a compelling argument for the authenticity of the shroud? XD