The Rev. John Polkinghorne

Rest in Peace, John Polkinghorne KBE, FRS. He was a true giant in science and theology. As a theoretical physicist, he did fundamental work in the study of quarks. He then studied for the priesthood and became an Anglican Priest. He was granted a knighthood and was a fellow in the Royal Society. He wrote many scholarly books on the topic of science and theology. He even preached at my church in the city once! What a treat that was! For all his accomplishments he remained a humble man.

Rest in peace, rise in glory

10 Likes

An awesome mind. Met him in the car park after he gave a spell binding packed open lecture at Northampton University.

2 Likes

I first heard of him on a forum where someone said I sounded like him – not surprising considering we both came from theoretical physics.

Aye, you are similarly wrong, but he was better at it.

This is sad news, but I expected it sometime, given John’s age. He can now join his wife who pre-deceased him.

I persuaded a friend who was a solar physicist to attend a series of lectures John gave. He was impressed and had a great conversation with John in one of the breaks.

I hope it is not to soon to raise this question. What do people think were the best of John’s books? I have on my bookshelves the following books by John:

• Quantum Physics and Theology
  • Science and Religion in Quest of Truth
  • Beyond Science
  • Belief in God in an Age of Science
  • Science and Theology

Of these, I think that Science and Theology is the most systematically organised.

I pray that God will raise up another Christian physicist to fill John’s shoes. In the meantime, could somebody please ensure that Alister McGrath has had his COVID-19 vaccine? We can’t afford to lose him as well.

2 Likes

We need a better one. One who understands that reality is self tuned, not fine tuned.

“Theology in the Context of Science” in one I particularly liked. I also enjoyed “Question of Truth” which he co-wrote with his former student. And here is his obituary, highlighting some of his achievements in more detail.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.