The Fantasy Makers: Short film about the Christian roots of the fantasy genre

The Fantasy Makers is a very nice short film, free to view online, about the Christian men who pretty much invented the fantasy genre.

J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and George MacDonald were the pioneers of the fantasy genre and their impact is unmistakable. Their works— exploring Middle-earth, Narnia, and other tales of redemption, sacrifice, and the battle of good and evil—have become best-selling books and blockbuster movies. Contemporary fantasy writers such as J.K. Rowling grew up inspired by their works.

Enjoy! Watch out for shaggy bear Anglican priests!

6 Likes

Ooh, that looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing! A literature nerd movie night sounds perfect for quarantine (not that we go out in the evenings anyway).

You’ll enjoy it. I didn’t know too much about George MacDonald before. Sounds like a colorful guy!

Yeah… his theology sounds interesting. I had read some of his stories but didn’t realize how strong the influence was until I noticed C. S. Lewis gave him a starring role in “The Great Divorce.”

1 Like

He’s my favorite author of all time. Thanks for bringing him up :).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a good quarantine watch. My husband will like it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.