Should the Church change some theological teachings as to stay relevant according to the advancing of culture and science that we see in this generation?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

What are the “core” things that you think need changing?

Christianity at its root is:
Jesus is the Son of God.
He forgives sins.
He rose from the dead.

6 Likes

View of original sin
The Trinity
Adam and Eve(if they existed or not) the church should take a stance
And some other hot button topics which i cant tell

To clarify i dont think they all need changing.

1 Like

It will get a little messy here because some of what is considered core snd historical are actually just something that has showed up in the last few hundred years. Such as the Trinity is not something everyone has always accepted snd what the Trinity means and is in itself has been debated.

I personally don’t believe anything needs to change. I think it says the same thing now as it’s always has for whatever collection you use. People just try to change it to fit what they believe is true. Concordism.

1 Like

Well since its a poll i try to gather information. If you vote itll help me. And since i established what i meant with “core” teachings i encourage everyone to vote if wants to. The last thing i want its a debate down here although i wont stoo anyone who wants to engage in open conversarion. Thanks

Well, first we must define what the Church is. There are so many churches divided over so many things, no one human institution can really direct what the universal church, the Bride of Christ does. I believe the Church will change, and has changed with cultural changes, and if it fails to do so, will become irrelevant. Perhaps the lag in change is one of the problems of youth leaving the church, as irrelevence is always one of the top reasons given.
Some things are foundational and remain stable, but the way they are built upon has to evolve.

4 Likes

Whatever denomination you are the views are the same(at least 90% of them). Expect for the Trinity. So feel free to vote

Would we find testimonies like this if we changed the core teachings and holdings?

Mark Farner
His testimony.
Well it started out in heaven. At least that´s what I believe, because that´s what the Holy Bible says. Since all scripture is inspired by God I believe that it is the only source of true instruction in righteousness and therefore the only authority by which those of us who long for truth and holiness can look for council.
This will be a very brief summary of some of the events leading to the total surrender of my will to the will of God, and to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, the Messiah.

I was born in September 29th,1948. I was raised in the countryside to the east of Flint, Michigan. It was there I gained most of my love for the land and beauty of our Heavenly Father´s creation.

When I was nine years old my dad, who was a fireman of the city of Flint, died in a car/train wreck killing him and a fellow fireman instantly. After a few days it had become reality to me that he was really dead. That he was never gonna walk in that door again. It was then that I began to mourn his death. I remember my Aunt and Grandmother trying to console me but it wasn´t working. I had just lost the person I loved most the in the world.
I didn´t want anything to do with the love of any others.

One day I was watching T.V. and a Billy Graham crusade was being broadcast on a local channel. I was overtaken by what he was saying and when he asked all the people that were watching to pray with him, I did.

I know that Jesus came into my heart like I asked him to. Being so young and having no one to teach me the Bible or the ways of salvationI ended up walking away from the Lord. He didn´t leave me, I left him. Life was hard and I did a lot of grownin up real quick.

I began playing guitar when I was fifteen. I ended up with water on the knee as a result of a football injury. I was laid up so my mother bought me a guitar to help pass the time. At sixteen I began playing in a local band and I had adopted a lot of the band habits.
Eventually we started a three piece band called Grand Funk Railroad. The band became very successful and as a result we became very rich. After buying everything that money could buy and marrying a young girl,
I was shocked to find that one day she had left me. After a while I was sitting there crying in my beer and wondering what my two boys were going to do.I remembered the comfort that I had gotten from God when my Dad died. I began to look for God. I went from church to church but couldn´t find the comfort I needed.

Finally I went to the right one. As I sat there in the back row I knew God was there. Everything that the preacher said was like live rounds shot from the preacher´s mouth straight to my heart. When the sermon was over I went to the altar, and there I rededicated my life to Jesus.

I asked him to send my wife Leisha back to me. That afternoon in a city fifty miles away she was asking the Lord into her heart for the very first time. THAT´S GOD!

Today we are united in the spirit of the living God and striving together to glorify Him. I predict that we´re gonna live happily ever after.

ALL FOR JESUS,

Mark Farner

5 Likes

View of Original Sin and Historicity of Adam and Eve are not core doctrines.

3 Likes

Of course they are. Every major denomination accepts them as such

1 Like

The liberal mainline denominations don’t.

1 Like

Liberal denominations arent called mainline? All tge mainline hold these views that i stated above.

Im not here to argue. Just vote or whatever

Liberal denominations are called mainline, but you’re right, according to the Wiki article I linked – they are no longer the majority, but they were. Whatever. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

See “A Catechism of Creation: an Episcopal Understanding”

There are thousands of denominations out there. How did you check them all?

Churches of Christ are far from being considered a liberal movement and they don’t accept original sin. OS is predominantly an catholic thing. Then you run into the issue of the differences between OS according to catholics versus OS according to Protestants and those who practice paedobaptism versus those who practice credobaptism.

I think there is only one core set of unchanging laws.

1. Love God.
  2. Love your neighbor.
1 Like

Jesus makes us at one with God. [Therefore we should be at one, including in outcome, with each other.]

2 Likes

Jesus says he doesn’t make everyone at one with God.

1 Like

Yall seem to ignore that this question also applies to “hot button stuff”

The Good News of forgiveness of sin and freedom from the power of sin and the devil by being united in Christ, will never change in this present existence. No matter what the present or future culture says or does will change what Jesus did on the cross and humanities need of it.

The church (called out ones) should never stop proclaiming repentance from sin and turning from love of self to placing full reliance, faith, on Jesus. For it is only through a persons turning fully to Jesus will they partake of salvation and eternal life (God’s nature). Our faith, trust, reliance in Jesus, is what brings us into union with His death and resurrection. Without faith it is impossible to please God. It is trust in the cross of Christ that makes God’s salvation active in a person, without that faith which brings holiness, no man will see God.

Cultures and societies don’t really change, those without love for God have always continued in self love, lovers of pleasure and the things of this world. God calls them children of wrath. And I was once one of those until the kindness of the Father saved me through the knowledge of Jesus. To know Him and the Father is eternal life.

Be ready in season and out to preach the Good News of Jesus. Take every opportunity to love your neighbor and offer them salvation from the power of sin, condemning judgement and the wrath of the Lamb. I don’t judge those outside the family of God, for they already stand condemned, they need to hear the words of Jesus and about His work of salvation in the cross. Those inside the church who do not continue in the ways of the Lord, need to be reproved, rebuked and exhorted to repent. Those who don’t, we are told to have nothing to do with them.

4 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, but cultures and society has changed remarkably in the last 200 years, and even in the last 20. People have not changed that much, if that is what you mean, but that combination of old behaviors in a markedly different environment has placed stress on modern people. I would hope the church would change in ways to address those changes.

1 Like