Should BioLogos produce science textbooks for college use?

YOU are the one who started this whole thing. You wrote post after post, claiming that the BioLogos scientists are woefully out of date in their knowledge (mostly because they are old) and haven’t been trained in the new ways or whatever, and that [list of scientists] are much better and more up-to-date, and so forth.

Right, Eddie…

Millions of dollars have been spent on the creation of BioLogos because people think God MIGHT direct evolution.

George

Eddie,

I think you should relax a little and pray for God’s grace. Your assertions don’t make any sense to me.
We already have plenty of organizations that “take no position on God and Evolution” - - why you seem to think BioLogos is one of these groups is beyond my ken.

George

Eddie,

Why would a supporter of BioLogos OPPOSE the idea of “God directing evolution” - - unless it was to pretend he supported BioLogos while seeking to undermine its mission and goals?

George

Eddie,

If I was being hounded by an anonymous detractor … perfectly willing and capable of blowing every grammatical mis-step into a major drama … I don’t think I would say anything specific either…

George

[quote=“Eddie, post:101, topic:3653”]
I admit that Ussery is an evolutionary biologist. But he is not a “regular” on BioLogos, only an occasional guest columnist. [/quote]
Hello Eddie,

We both know that your attempt to move the goalposts is irrelevant to the false points you were trying to make.

[quote=“Eddie, post:57, topic:3653”]
I’m sorry, but it’s just a fact that Shapiro knows far more about evolutionary theory than any past or present columnist…[/quote]

See, you even specified “columnists” in the broadest way, which could not possibly have excluded Dr. Ussery. Why do you insist on digging deeper?

How is my pointing out that your weird emphasis on name-checking is anything but the opposite? There’s no reason to discuss PEOPLE. There are FACTS and IDEAS to discuss.

But your comments in this thread alone are anything but only to that effect.

You’ve made much more specific and false claims that have been refuted by both Christy and me in this comment thread.

I have pointed out that your “My evolutionary biologist is better than your evolutionary biologist” is not only lame, but based on objectively false quantitative premises. Let’s review:

Note: your hero Shapiro is a Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, not evolutionary biology.

Your attempt to deny all of these is incredible.

No, I have patiently refuted your false claims about Shapiro vs. Collins, and Christy and I have patiently refuted your bashing of BioLogos people with false claims. Keep denying, though…

Wow, Eddie, finally some forthrightness on your part! (except that I’m not causing you to counter with lame claims)

This is supposed to be a discussion forum, but you clearly are viewing it as a fight (“causing me to counter with the judgment,” etc.) to support your ever-deflating ID movement. Have you ever considered discussing ideas and facts, instead of viewing authors’ mere names as arrows for you to pull out of a quiver and shoot at your perceived enemies, in this thread propelling those arrows with multiple objectively false claims?

I think it was your intention to promote multiple absurdities: that bacterial geneticist Shapiro knows more about evolutionary biology than Francis Collins (whom many geneticists would describe as the foremost human geneticist in the world) and evolutionary biologist David Ussery, that there’s more evolutionary meat in Shapiro’s publications than there is in Collins’s 534 papers that you haven’t read, that there’s hardly anything on BL about evo-devo, and that no “BioLogos people” are evolutionary biologists. In every case you’ve been refuted and you’ve lamely moved the goalposts in response in every case but one.

I’ve been trying to get you to do that. The tactic is not working well for you. :wink:

[quote]Anybody here is free to read some of the writings of those authors, and make use of whatever is helpful in their writings.
[/quote]And I encourage them you to discuss IDEAS and FACTS, leaving opinions and (I suspect deliberately) fuzzy labels behind. You might learn something!

Steve explained your problem to you quite clearly:

Steve’s analogy is a beautiful explanation of the false dichotomy and fuzzy labeling you promote here. You didn’t bother to respond to Steve (one of those evolutionary biologists) on this point. Can you grasp this fact and stop tilting at windmills?

“We believe that the diversity and interrelation of all life on earth are best explained by the God-ordained process of evolution with common descent. Thus, evolution is not in opposition to God, but a means by which God providentially achieves his purposes.” - See more at: The Work of BioLogos - BioLogos

How much clearer do you want us to get?

We think evolution is the best scientific description of how God providentially achieves his creational purposes, in regards to the development and diversification of life. That’s guidance, in my book.

The issue here, @Eddie, is not whether BioLogos thinks God guides evolution. We’ve made that very clear in our official position statement linked above. And you know that. The issue that we don’t say it in the way in which you think it should be said, with exhaustive exploration of the relevant theology and explicit statements about the when, what, and how of God’s guidance. We’re agnostic on that subject, because specificity about God’s action is dangerous ground in these matters. Stop pretending that “BioLogos doesn’t say this the way I wan’t it to be said” is the same as “BioLogos doesn’t say this”.

Be honest, Eddie. The issue is your perception of a theological agenda (dare I say “conspiracy”) that you’ve dedicated literally hundreds of thousands of words on this Forum is “expose”. If you didn’t think we had a hidden agenda, you wouldn’t be spending so much time and energy saying the same thing thousands of times over and over and over. There’s no agenda. We just see things differently. Our theological caution is ascribed to us as reticence, or worse. That’s unfortunate, and untrue.

2 Likes

@Eddie Please point me to where I criticized Shapiro, Newman, and Margulis.

Very strange. You even have scripts about how your conversations with us should go and how they should not go.

You’re right that I inserted myself into the conversation. For that, I apologize. And if your point is that BioLogos is hesitant to use the word “guides”, yes, that’s correct. The hesitation comes from being part of a conversation where misunderstandings are incredibly rampant, when it comes to God and science.

This is apples and oranges. My thoughts about the Trinity come from the creeds. So does everybody else’s opinion here at BioLogos. Last time I checked, there’s nothing in the creeds about front-loading. The Trinity is a complex topic, but one for which the church has come to relative consensus. God’s role in evolution is an open (and very difficult) question which is not necessary to answer with specificity if one is to be an orthodox Christian. You’re compared a “macro” theological issue with a “micro” theological issue. This is like asking everyone at BioLogos to have a fine-grained opinion on the Filioque clause, and then complaining when they don’t respond. Actually, that’s not even the right metaphor, because one can make arguments from Scripture there. The question of how exactly God is involved with the evolutionary process is entirely speculative. Scripture doesn’t speak authoritatively on that specific issue, and frankly, science isn’t much help there either. So BioLogos puts a “macro” level statement in our beliefs and leaves it at that, focusing on God’s providence without putting our foot down on a topic that is wholly speculative and prone to misunderstanding by Christians who have been trained to see interventions as the main way that God interacts with nature.

fair enough.