Science annotated devotional/bible

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on a devotional or a bible/bible study that has science included? I found a ESV Archaeology Bible with annotations, summaries, and timelines with photos to help tie in archaeological facts and evidence but was wondering if there is a similar thing out there with science included?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @skindoctor ! Good to have you here. I know of no such Bible, and it might be a little disappointing if one was done. I tend to use one of the standard commentary Bibles, The New Interpreter’s Study Bible and am happy with it for general scholarship but it is not directed to the science end. I might suggest reading The Bible & Ancient Science: Principles of Interpretation if you are not familiar with it. In it, Denis Lamoureux tells of scientific things God accommodates for ancient readers who had false assumptions about the nature of creation.
And by the way, I have this rash… (retired FM doc here)

3 Likes

I don’t think there is a science-annotated Bible. More to the point, I doubt such a thing could even exist at all, even if we wanted it to. At least, not to any meaningful extent.

Perhaps it might be useful to turn this question around.

If there could be a science-annotated version of the Bible, what might it look like?

Imagine yourself as a contributor to it, or on the editorial board.

Pick an example or two of science familiar to you, preferably modern, including discoveries unknown before, say, 150 years ago, and that you believe interact with parts of scripture. Might you sketch out for us your draft annotations?

4 Likes

I wonder if it would look like a time line, starting with Sumerians’ theories on the stars and heavenly bodies, stretching to the Greeks’ apprehension of a global earth, Persians’ and Egyptians’ theories, Gallileo, etc. It might be kind of interesting in how we would get a better understanding of ancient cultures

@Randy That is certainly an idea. But it sounds more like a book in its own right; I’m not sure how it could be made to work in “annotated Bible” format. For instance:

• Various themes are fragmentary, scattered across relatively isolated verses, yet build their persuasive strength because of their recurrence.

• The very opening, Genesis 1, is describing the earliest events (creation of heaven-and-earth). Yet its composition is almost certainly comparatively late compared to other books, and its content and narrative seemed shaped by these later understanding.

How might one do these is an “annotated Bible” structure?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.