Scrambled Eggs and Ham?

That one deserved a laugh. Glad that the phenomenon has a name. “Not Even Wrong” … It was like hearing about Dunning-Kruger for the first time.

1 Like

Aye curumba. I hadn’t been keeping up with Jeanson’s posts. It seems his primary evidence is that my thumbnail sketches were not millimeter-accurate scale drawings? Is that really what he is up in arms about? I couldn’t read too much at one sitting.

9 Likes

I also wonder if AIG is afraid of inadvertently introducing readers to BioLogos in the first place. I don’t read them so maybe they make mention in other ways… but that would be my guess. I wouldn’t be surprised if some AIG readers make their way here simply because they are curious (and/or a tad rebellious :wink: ).

2 Likes

I’ve wondered the same thing, Elle. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if this were the case.

1 Like

They say that the best way to get people to read a book is by banning it.

1 Like

So maybe a thank you note is in order?:wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t hurt!

I think this is a textbook example of what they call “tech bluff”. The fraction of people who have enough background knowledge/interest to explain clearly why Dr Jeanson’s accusations are nonsensical is extremely small. I thought I knew something about genetics but his writings are extremely confusing to me.

Even if the experts try to correct his claims, the lay reader will still be getting the false impression that experts disagree among each other on this issue. Either way, mission accomplished for Ken Ham and co. There’s not much one can do against such tactics, I’m afraid.

5 Likes

I have a problem with this dichotomy from a linguistic point of view. Most people do not learn human languages by exclusively studying textbooks! Study and experience are invaluable in both types of language!

1 Like

I speak here as a reformed member of the below mentioned group!

I think you have the attractiveness of the YEC position in view here. Most of the YEC followers are conservative, (and I say this gently without casting derision) fundamental Christians in outlook. Higher education, ability to process complex logic, understanding “thinking about thinking” and the depths of a truly complex document like the Scriptures is largely lacking. They even may be technically astute and educated, but the religious education has been limited to the Just So school of theology.

That’s why the origins of the YEC are embedded in the Scopes Trial and the early-mid 1900’s heartland reaction to progressive & mainline churches.

But, time are a-changing! I expect it to take another generation before the EC view is given a wider acceptance. Of course, there will always be die-hards!

And yet, we will meet them in the New Earth! They are Brothers and Sister and we should try to treat them (the poor misled YEC followers) gently and lovingly. Not so much for the YEC leadership who should be held accountable according to their own tactics.

Ray :sunglasses:

1 Like

Current YEC started with Ellen White’s visions. See the BioLogos essay here.

2 Likes

Thank you Bill! I now remember that fact. I am glad you recalled it to my mind! (I’ll blame a “senior” moment! :grin:

What Irony that a most devout YECer would be aghast at knowing one of their most cherished ideals is founded upon SDA writings!

Yes…this appeals to people like me who often see things in a very “black and white” manner. I can understand the fear of going back in time to the “priesthood” setup where only those who are educated enough are allowed to explain scriptures to the rest of us. I heard this idea articulated fairly similarly by Kent Hovind in a debate of his, where he said (to paraphrase) he wanted to believe that anyone could pick up a Bible and read it as it is and understand it (in the King James version, no less!).

And yet many YEC speakers seem inconsistent about the idea of authority when it comes to science – writing off scientists in general, unless one of them agrees with an aspect of YEC, in which case they’re obviously right because they’re so well educated.

Latest News from the Babylon Bee: Old Earth Creation Museum Now Open Six Billion Years A Week

About time somebody decided to create a EC Museum, and one which would take a whole week to see everything!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The Facebook comments on this one are worth reading, sort of fun/sad.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s not exactly how it worked… :wink:

Yeah, I agree. I was generalizing a process. Of course, if I wrote all the destails, it would take one of the above mentioned weeks to accomplish! :grin: