Resources for Teaching Climate Change

Here are some Global Climate Change Educational Resources from PBS and NASA.

Explore best practices for teaching global climate change (GCC) to middle- and high-school students with these free, self-paced modules for teachers.

Each module includes STEM resources that will increase your knowledge of climate change concepts and can be used directly with students.

This professional development experience was funded by NASA’s Global Climate Change Education initiative. This initiative is designed to improve the quality of the nation’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education and enhance students’ and teachers’ literacy about global climate and Earth system change from elementary grades to lifelong learners.

1 Like

Neat. I wish I hadn’t just finished our climate change unit!
I may back track a bit so I can use this.

1 Like

It gets pretty discouraging when the media seems more and more willing to print such half truths without any real investigation. Indeed, the last seven years are among the warmest on record, but does anyone bother to mention that there has been no new annual average temp high in six years (counting 2022, which is on-track to be sixth warmest on record). You probably know what I’ll mention next - with CO2 increasing faster than ever, why is global temp not going up? why is no-one even paying attention to the fact that global temp is not going up?

But it is going up

Here’s an excerpt from NCDC / NOAA official monthly reporting -

5fiaqf02.png

It shows the annual average temperature anomaly for every year since 2016 (each of 2017, 18, 19, 10, 21 and YTD 22) as being lower than 2016. Explanations abound as to why that could be and how it might not really mean anything, but the plain truth is that global average temp has not been going up lately, even while CO2 increases as fast, or faster, than ever. I say we should be hearing the full truth and not just a one-sided, massaged interpretation.

And here’s the link to the website where I draw this from. It is part of a monthly Global Climate Report. This is the official data that pretty much everyone relies on. There will be another update in a week or so to include the October data.

Why are you starting at 2016? Did you think nobody would notice? Why not look at long-term trends, which show a definite rise in global temps over many years?

I’m aware of the long term. I’m interested in an explanation of the short term. Surely someone has an idea of why temperature is not tracking with CO2 recently.

Okay, what is this full truth?

That’s what I’m looking for; why recent warming isn’t tracking with CO2. I don’t know the answer.

Where are you getting this information, and you do understand that climate statistics are not meaningful across very short time periods, right?

You talk about the “full truth” as if you know something. Many things can influence the weather of an individual year.