Realistic Limits and Truthfulness

The recent yard signs that proclaim that “Black People have meaning.” Maybe it is only a Left Coast phenomenon.

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean “Black lives matter”?

Either every life “matters” or nothing e.g. no lives “matter.” Seems to that this is the case if there is one God in control, no “gods” in control, or some intermediate situation. We may believe this or that but there seems to be no way in this life to have absolute 100% knowledge.

Personally, I have “believed in” the Jewish/Christian God and in Jesus as described in the ecumenical creeds all my life and have no reason to renounce my belief in my 78th year.

Pragmatically . . . misquoting George Orwell, “All people matter but some matter more than others.”

Well you do realize there is reason for emphasizing “black” in this instance, don’t you? If a bunch of kids are getting along fine there is no need to say anything at all, and of course they all matter. But if one group is being picked on in particular, it might be necessary to point out that that group also matters. That is the point of that slogan.

3 Likes

The reason for the slogan is that the lives of black people are devalued in our society. They are merely pointing out that their lives have value also. There is a a resurgence of white nationalism in the USA (and elsewhere). As a matter of fact, Frontline is airing a segment called “Documenting Hate: New American Nazis.”

2 Likes