Question about two religious documents

And I will thank you not to try and teach your grandmother to suck eggs. (proverbially)

The point is that you have missed the point of what God told Moses. Instead of accepting the idea that God did not want to be named, you have taken His words as a name.

Richard

What does that even mean? Are you okay?

Maybe you should lecture at Yeshiva U. and set everybody straight.

If you like Robert Alter you might enjoy this panel discussion on the psalms where he was one of the panelists. The discussion starts about 1 minute into the video.

Panel Discussion: Introducing The Psalms Experience

Ahead of the special concert series The Psalms Experience, WNYC’s John Schaefer and guests explore the history of the Psalms, their many musical traditions, the challenges of translation, and their contemporary resonance in a more secular world. Panelists include scholar and Psalms translator Robert Alter, musicologist Neil W. Levin, and David Van Biema, Time magazine’s former chief religion writer.

(I wish I had gone to this and to the concerts!)

Or just heed what God said, “God also told Moses, 'Say to the Israelites, The LORD (Yhvh in the original Hebrew), the God of your fathers- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob- has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.”

But we can’t do that, because it would make sense.

Why do we need to know the name of God? He wants us to call Him Father! You would not use the first name of your earthly father so why use a name for your Heavenly one? Surely that is rude?

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.