Perseverance Rover Mars Landing

Is anyone else planning to watch the latest Mars rover landing on Thursday? Here’s a link to NASA TV with the schedule:

The InSight lander was the first one I’d seen, a couple years back, but it was a really neat experience to watch, just seeing how many people were involved and how much effort and talent is poured into these things. The “seven minutes of terror” is no joke!

5 Likes

Thanks for posting. If I remember, will tune in.
Related is this most excellent video by Joel Duff @Joel_Duff. Watch to the end to see the connection.

It’s carrying a proof-of-concept helicopter, which should be pretty cool.

I almost can’t watch those events. The look on the scientist’s face when a mission fails is pretty gut wrenching. For some of those people it is 5-10 years of their life squished down to 7 minutes of terror. I’ve had 3 months of work go down the toilet, so I can’t imagine what 5 years would feel like.

5 Likes

I believe it. I remember seeing a lot of crying and hugging going on afterwards. To me it felt a little bit like watching a really intense sporting event, only with a much greater magnitude. I couldn’t imagine having to watch it if it was my work that was on the line.

1 Like

Afraid I’m driving my better half to Santa Cruz for her second vaccine shot that day and will be visiting the arboretum while we’re down there. I’ll see if it is possible to follow online.

2 Likes

Reminds me of watching the pbs documentary on the Voyager project. I found myself in tears at one point

2 Likes

October 31, 2021. James Webb Space Telescope launch. Lots of moving parts. Please work!

2 Likes

That’s 2 months of terror, from launch to full deployment to first light. They are probably buying antacids in bulk at Costco.

3 Likes

Just came across this. May whet some appetites.

1 Like

Happening now in case anyone forgot

1 Like

Landed! First image back, looks good!

1 Like

Phew! That was awesome. And I guess it wasn’t quite the “seven minutes” this time, which was nice. It’s a bit different with masks and fist bumping, but still great to see how many big plans are in the works for this rover, and also the helicopter, which I had kind of forgotten about.

1 Like

Heard it live on the radio. Yay.

1 Like

I missed it this time, but apparently you can send your name to Mars on the next mission.

1 Like

Partial images coming in now …
mars_photo_op

6 Likes

Wrong conversation. :grin:

1 Like

HOOO rah!

Welllll, if you’re going to waste $3BN, that’s the way to do it. Infinitely worth more than fusion research or Formula 1 motor racing.

I was moved. Dang!!

2 Likes

Wah HOO! This’ll take it to $10BN over 10 years, but worth it. Is it a bloke thing? I was moved by the Chernobyl shed as much as it was: the largest artefact ever moved on land.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.