Perfect Knowledge

Not sure where to post this but:

It is impossible to precisely describe the physical universe in human language. Scientists have invented new forms of mathematics to describe what they discover. Newton’s laws of physics have become useful approximations but not absolute truth. Why would we expect to be able to precisely define far greater infinite truths in human language?

The bible uses metaphor and hyperbole so literal interpretations can lead to conclusions that contradict each other. Rather than argue which is precisely correct it would be better to treat each as a metaphor or approximation of one facet of a truth the whole of which is beyond human definition. Again, look at science. Light seems to travel in waves and also seems to travel in particles. Both theories have practical uses. Neither is entirely correct or completely wrong.

Theologians of all people should show more humility. When speaking of the infinite, we have little appropriate vocabulary. Even words like before and after have no meaning when speaking of the infinite - all that exists outside of time.

Years ago I read a quote but don’t remember who was being quoted: “To me there is no more frightening sight than a good man who thinks he is absolutely right.”

3 Likes

Good insights. I agree with you about humility. But I often find that the authors/speakers/teachers that seem to generate the largest followings are ones who gravitate more to extremes – the “I’m right and everyone else is wrong” variety. Admitting we don’t know things can be scary.

2 Likes

I think it’s a combination of both. I think there is a healthy balance of knowing that you’ve spent time studying something out and have drawn accurate interpretations and it’s further verified through desk with counter arguments and so on. But it does need to be balanced with willingness to deconstruct and listen to to others snd being willing to change you mind as needed.

This. No more pretence.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3 (NIV2011)
1 We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up.
2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know.
3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.