Our Future in Space: a science and religion forum at the National Cathedral

Our Future in Space

This program at the beautiful National Cathedral (an Episcopal cathedral) was really interesting. Participants included a NASA astronaut, a theologian, the director of national intelligence, and others. The program brochure is here.

The music was space themed also-- mostly from the serious literature but also included some music from Star Wars at the end. I was fascinated to learn about their Space Window which contains a sliver of a rock from the moon.

I really loved all the references to Star Trek! The program starts with music, and the remarks start
at about 11 minutes.

You would like this @case4christ1 . It’s another demonstration of the Episcopal Church’s high regard for science.

1 Like

@beaglelady you know me well! Star Trek + Star Wars + science + theology, sounds like a recipe for fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have no future in space without 1) space elevators 2) fusion power. And even that is only and forever in the Solar system.

I think it is great that people explore theology in the context of science and all the possibilities we can imagine. I don’t think other stars are completely out of reach, but star empires are certainly pure fantasy.

1 Like

If the stars can be reached, there are stellar empires. We’d be in one. By what fantasy are other stars ‘in reach’? By radio, not woo, for a start.

Read "The Three Body Problem " there may be a way.
Good science friction in any case

That’s been on my radar for some years. I will now have to. There is no way to, or, thank God, from the stars. Even to talk. I love good sci-fi. Reading 2061 as we speak. I’d missed it! Trapped in religion. 3001 is the perfect postmodern ending! I can lie in bed and hear the Ligeti and see the Monolith and my spine tingles. The scenes at the end of 2010 when Dave Bowman comes back is one of the most transcendentally, sacredly beautiful of all time, primus inter pares. And this.
Have you seen Tarkovsky’s Solaris? Vastly beautiful from beginning to end.

1 Like

Please let me know what you think of the program. I only wish that the last group had been given more time. btw, while you are searching for a church, you might try the cathedral’s live-stream services, especially since the first Sunday in Advent is just one week from Sunday. The liturgies and music of Advent are especially beautiful.

1 Like

This is ‘better’ Ligeti. More intense. It converted a friend of mine to Christianity. Play it big and play it loud.

And this. Purer. Absolutely awesome.

What did we hear when we were fish, eh?!

I’m still waiting for someone to actually listen to the program and comment on it.

What’s the point? What’s its point?

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.