New Article: 4 Surprises about teaching evolution in public school

A public school teacher talks about the things that surprised him as an evolution educator in the American South, including how education has changed itself around this topic.

READ: 4 Surprises about Teaching Evolution in Public School - Article - BioLogos

Thanks to Lee Meadows for this piece.

4 Likes

Great article.

4 Likes

Enjoyed the article. Knowing some of the science teachers around here in central Texas, I think it is accurate, with a few caveats. I note the author is now in higher education, and attends a Presbyterian church. I suspect that he has greater acceptance and is more comfortable in both than a high school teacher attending a typical Baptist church in the area. That is not to say the points discussed are not valid, only to point out that it is not an easy path to follow for many.
In the typical conservative churches I know, he would probably not be asked to teach a Sunday School class, or help in the youth group. He would probably not be asked to serve as a deacon. If a committee run church, he would probably not be asked to serve on any committee that had any authority (but might make it to the food committee, if not vegan.)

3 Likes

“if not vegan” I’m cracking up over here. :rofl:

3 Likes

Rummaging around on the Fb page led me to this article. I found it very encouraging as a former public school teacher. Wouldn’t it be great if it were possible to attend to the educational and developmental needs of kids in a way that didn’t undermine anyone’s faith commitments. Given the current political climate it sure doesn’t seem likely that day is anywhere in our near future.

3 Likes