More concordism may be appropriate

Yes, it does. If something costs 68 cents and I want to round to the nearest $, then it rounds to $1. Rounding to the nearest 25 cents, it becomes: 75 cents. Rounding to the nearest $2 or the nearest $5 or $10 it rounds to zero. Shoot; we can round it to the nearest multipe of 37 cents if we wanted (a silly thing to do - unless your pocket was full of 37 cent coins), in which case it would round to 74 cents. It’s all about which number on your selected level of precision it’s closest to. Usually rounding is to make the expression of the number simpler. And for that purpose, rounding to the nearest half-millennium is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

1 Like

It used to, on a pentium

1 Like

You were so close to making that rhyme!

1 Like

I said to the millenniuM. Unless you’re prey to the egregious error of singularizing millennia.

Thanks. My spelling error is noted and corrected. My rounding remains correct … As does Bill’s who was rounding to the nearest half millennium.

'oo does that? 'ey? Yeah, OK we do it in mid- terms. Mid-century and the like. This tennis can be played to an eternal draw surely.

You said

To which I responded

I didn’t say “rounded”. And around here “pretty much” just means kind of close and no cigar.

And people wonder why there are so many different interpretations of the Bible.

Hey Bill. It’s all right. I’m sorry.

The criticism that the claims about Tall el-Hammam come from people who support the Bible’s accuracy is not so well founded - there are many authors of varied affiliation and views. But criticisms of the scientific quality seem to have a good deal of substance. Scientific Reports is Nature’s second-tier journal, so it’s a quite reputable source, though I suspect that Nature has an eye to headline potential.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.