Mike Beidler speaks at the Smithsonian Institution's Hall of Human Origins

You’ve got the wrong science-fiction franchise; @MikeBeidler is into Star Wars!

1 Like

LOL. She’s got that right!

1 Like

I am mystified - how can anyone go past Star Trek? :astonished:

@MikeBeidler

Thank you for your clarification.

Going back to when Darwin first wrote The Origin of the Species Christians had four basic problems with Darwin’s theory. ( p. 663, Stickberger’s Evolution 4th Hall and HallGrimisson)

They were 1) evolution entails continual change, as opposed to a static universe. Most of us have gotten used to this by now, even though it goes the understanding of “being” as stable.

1. Unpredictable chance events, which goes against Newton’s clockwork universe, but again most Christians have learned to accept an indeterminate future.

2. Natural Selection based on unrelenting struggle for survival among members of a species. For me and many I have spoken to, this is a serious problem. Our relationship with others is not, nor can it be unrelenting struggle, nor should it be. If this is true, then the NT is false.

3. and “no obvious guidance” NeoDarwinism and science in general rejects teleology. Here there is still a problem, although one might quibble about obvious guidance. To me the guidance is obvious, because I know how it works. To others it is not obvious.

How does evolution shaped by the Logos differ from Darwinian evolution? Logos Natural selection works by Symbiosis, which means life forms working together to build a better planet, rather than relentless struggle and survival of the fittest. Survival of the fittest is a myth that has never been scientifically verified.

We are agreed that evolution is guided by God, but not determined mechanistically. We see that God guides evolution through ecological natural selection, so that intelligent life forms were created which we call human beings. God did not do this directly, but God most surely did it, because God made all the processes that were needed to make this happen.

God is not a God of the Gaps, Who needs to be observed, but the God of the Facts, Who is understood and known as the Creator of All. Evolution is guided by ecological natural selection, and that guidance can only come from that Being Whom we know as the Triune God.

Don’t worry, Captain. I have reconfigured my electric hair dryer to emit tachyon particles. Klingon ship destroyed!!

I can see why I have had so many problems with you cadet - you must use a wide spread of photon torpedoes on Klingon ships (tachyon articles will take you back in time, and the rest of us with you and your hair drier). Who was your mentor at the Academy?

Willy Wonka

@beaglelady @Eddie

Does this mean we stop discussing Star Trek? Or does this discussion get back on track? (I am not aware of a race called “Willy Wonka” attending the Academy, so like Eddie, I am beginning to suspect you are a stow-away on my ship! Things may get serious)

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.