Michael E. Mann has been selected to receive the 2018 AAAS Public Engagement with Science Award

Ok Its apparent that you only want to see information that supports your point of view and not look at the current science. I am not interested going down that rabbit hole with you. The Grand solar minimum cycles that we are likely going into are actually potentially a much greater challenge to our world civilization than warming. Historically these Grand solar minimum periods have been associated with severe jet-stream and ocean current changes resulting in cooling in some regions and drought even regional areas of warming, famine and heightened volcanic activity and earthquakes . This all can cause resource deprivation and population stress and dislocation. Even in our modern age We as a planet have some challenges ahead over the next 25 -30 years due to these solar changes mostly unrelated to the CO2 forcing. I encourage people to research the Grand Solar Minimum. Dalton Minimum, Maunder Minimum, Spörer Minimum, Oort Minimum.

http://notrickszone.com/2017/12/28/7-new-2017-papers-forecast-global-cooling-another-little-ice-age-will-begin-soon/#sthash.371irGc2.ocxhhoCL.dpbs

1 Like

No, Mr. Current Science. I’m asking you for information that supports your point of view. You said that a lot of papers are coming out and I asked about them. Are these papers peer-reviewed and written by atmospheric scientists?

1 Like

All the links I have referenced have peer reviewed papers that they reference. It doesnt matter you havent and will not look at them. My main concern is that people understand that we are likely going into a series of grand solar minimum and what that means to our planet’s climate, our food production and increased severe earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Maybe you can tell me how a grand solar minimum makes earthquakes and volcanoes more severe. Does the USGS know about this?

1 Like

Just saying that climate is complex doesn’t change the fact that increasing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere will necessarily trap more heat. The human body is also really complex, and there a many complex systems that go into keeping homeostasis within our cells and organs. However, if you tip just one factor, such as potassium, you can kill a person. The same applies to climate.

It is difficult to have a discussion with a video on youtube. I would prefer to discuss this topic with people who understand it enough to make the arguments in their own words.

You can start here showing correlation. There are other papers referenced on this paper that you can further delve. Obviously this is a developing science and as mentioned there are lots of people trying understand. There is very much a lunar component also. I think that there are both gravitational and electromagnetic influences.

The overwhelming consensus points to the Milankovitch cycles as the driving force for climate change on Earth for the last millions of years.

http://www.indiana.edu/~geol105/images/gaia_chapter_4/milankovitch.htm

This is where changes in axial tilt, orbital eccentricity, and orbital precession combine to create glaciation on a regular basis.

1 Like

This is a word salad. You’re just randomly grabbing scientific-sounding words and stringing them along into incoherent phrases. And you dodged my question about how a grand solar minimum makes earthquakes and volcanoes more severe.

If the frame from the previous video is any indication (e.g. Piers Corbyn at a lectern for an Electric Universe meeting), it appears that @Skoshland is following the Electrical Universe “stuff”, to use a polite term. Whenever you see earthquakes, weather, and electromagnetism in the same sentence it should send up some major flares.

1 Like

Here is the link. No sure why that before was not the correct one. You can figure out the rest yourself. Simply said that there are correlation with the electromagnetic activity of The Sun and the gravity flux of the moon to earthquakes and volcanic activity. The science is developing. These Grand solar minimum show increases major volcanic and earthquakes. That is one of the questions researchers are trying to understand why.

Title is Kp index and earthquakes.

Indeed. Total b.s.

Correlation is not causation. First you need to explain the mechanisms involved. What are the mechanisms involved, and what is the evidence for them?

So what? It sounds all science-y so we’ll go with it until we’re asked for an explanation.

1 Like

NASA

Vol.07 No.01(2018), Article ID:82421,14 pages 10.4236/ojer.2018.71003
Geomagnetic Kp Index and Earthquakes
Nobuo Urata1, Gerald Duma2*, Friedemann Freund1
●Abstract
●Full-Text PDF
●Full-Text HTML
•Full-Text XML
●Full-Text ePUB
●Linked References
●How to Cite this Article
*Retired.
1Geo Cosmo Science and Research Center, NASA Research Park, Moffett Field, CA, USA
2Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics, Vienna, Austria

Copyright © 2018 by authors and Scientific Research Publishing Inc.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution International License (CC BY 4.0).
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Received: January 16, 2018; Accepted: February 9, 2018; Published: February 12, 2018
ABSTRACT
In the ionosphere, the solar winds generate electrical currents. On the Earth surface, these currents cause magnetic field fluctuations. These fluctuations, penetrating the Earth interior, induce the electrical currents J, and, in the presence of the Earth magnetic field B, generate electromagnetic force, known as Lorentz force F = J × B. To study the relation of earthquakes and the Lorentz force, acting at the near onset times of strong earthquakes, we examine the Kp index, a logarithmic measure of the magnetic field deviation. The time varying Kp index gives us J, which in turn determines F. The variations of the Kp index were stacked by aligning their central times to the times of main earthquake shocks. This stacking method has been a popular and powerful tool in image processing, because it lifts up only the geomagnetic effect like carving a relief. The Lorentz force tilts the subtle force balance in the earth crust towards triggering the release of stress strain energy, initiating an earthquake in a similar way as a mountain climber’s step can trigger the avalanches. The internal dynamics, however, are highly statistical. Conventional statistical methods are used in combination with a newly devised method, which compares the time sequences of hypothetical random earthquakes to real ones. We find that the distinctive patterns of the Kp surges often strongly correlate to the onset of earthquake. This correlation depends on the seismic regions and the magnitudes of earthquakes. The stronger the earthquake is, more closely the Kp surge is associated. The statistical significance of nearly 100% is obtained for the Kp variations, synchronizing with more earthquakes in the Pacific Rim region. In parallel with the data analysis the historical studies are reviewed. The solar activities have been considered to influence the earthquake occurrences and the relation of the two has been studied extensively in the recent years as well as in the past century. A comprehensive

Ok. In all fairness to Micheal Mann I think that I should move this onto a separate topic of its own. My only concern is to advise people here that we are entering into a series of grand solar minimums that have been associated with changes in the Jetstream, ocean oscillations, geological events that have in the past led to extreme weather events , dis-seasonal weather, famine, flooding and population decrease and dislocation. I have given people the resources to decide whether that is what is going to happen. The proof will be in the events over the next 2-6 years we will know if this will follow past cycle history.

Let me start by saying that each of these resources that I have provided are all referencing current peer review work and their own work. I completely stand by each of them as honestly presenting their information and data. I do not agree with everything that they say and believe but they all come from different approaches and are saying the same thing for the upcoming solar cycles.

I am not really interested in getting into a long drawn out discussion about this you are welcome to contact them directly or go onto the many open blogs in this subject. Everyone is very aware of the Milankovitch cycles. The problem is that these don’t explain interglacial climate variations such as the midevil optimum, Younger Dryas, little ice age and Bolling-allerod warming.

Jon. I agree correlation is not causation. (Funny when saying that) But that is why I say that this is a developing science. Everyone knows about plate tectonics and fault lines. I think that they are considering gravitational (lunar) and electromagnetic pulses that trigger these events.

You might be interested that there was a massive solar X9.3 flare cme preceding the 8.1 September 8 2017 Mexican earthquake.

Again I encourage you to research this. Not uninteresting

But they need to demonstrate that the current models are inadequate. Where do they do this?

As it happens I’m not interested. I am sure a lot of things preceded that earthquake, almost all of them completely unrelated to the event.

1 Like

My favorite example of correlation not being causation is this: The number of permanent teeth in school children is strongly correlated with their reading level. But nobody thinks that one causes the other.

As it happens I’m not interested. I am sure a lot of things preceded that earthquake, almost all of them completely unrelated to the event.

It was probably the pollen count that triggered it.

It’s Michael, not Micheal.

But that’s exactly what you’ve been doing. For days!

1 Like

Ok I am done. I will start a new post. I hope he doesn’t sue me! :innocent:

More on topic would be the correlation between climate change and the number of pirates:

2 Likes