James and feeding the poor under potential covid evictions

In James, as we all know, it says that true faith is shown not only be belief but actions.

James 2:14-17 New American Standard Bible

14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

Additionally we see that during the crises affecting the early church they handed together making great sacrifices. They sold their homes, they had other disciples living with them, they shared everything.

Acts 4:32 New American Standard Bible
32 And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them.

Economic experts in America , and statements made by Investors claiming this will be a once in a generation opportunity to purchase properties, is seemingly all pointing towards increased homelessness and poverty as a byproduct of this virus.

Obviously I don’t really expect anyone to sell their homes and down size just to give away most of it so others can have a home. Maybe some will. Personally I know I’m not selling my house just so I can purchase 4 trailers and set them up on my property so there other families can live here for really cheap to help combat it. I live in a three bedroom house and live alone and honestly I probably won’t even let strangers live in my house for cheap or free long term. I wish I was the type of person who would but probably won’t happen.

But that does not change the fact that this issue needs to be addressed by the church. What I am willing to do is let someone set up a travel trailer or two on my property and just pay utilities and no rent to help them out. I’m willing to let maybe a friend or two that may end up facing homelessness stay rent free for a few months.

My question is though what ar the hard choices we as individuals will make to help those who may end up being homeless and hungry from evictions and losing jobs from the virus should we not open up and end up shutting back down for months on end as a nation?

1 Like

Good thoughts. I’ve been encouraged by the number of people I have seen who still have work and are donating their government refund checks to help others who need the assistance more. In the Keller/Collins talk last night one of the things they touched on was how the church really has not begun to respond to the crisis yet, but those opportunities are surely coming and it remains to be seen how we will rise to the occasion. Keller mentioned that all churches were going to need to “replant” themselves–figure out what the needs are in their communities and how to go about meeting them. And the places with more resources are going to need to funnel help into more devastated areas where the church is not going to be equipped to reach out to the community. All good things to be thinking about.

1 Like

I guess I’m not sure what the Keller/Colins talk is? Will it become a podcast or is it something different? I’ll look for it in the threads through because I think maybe I remember seeing something about it.

I found it.

1 Like

Yes, it was a livestream. They are going to release it as a podcast, but you can also listen at the link you just posted.

1 Like

Christianity subverted the Roman Empire by being relentlessly other centred; kind, fulfilling Jesus’ first sermon on through the beatitudes. Living in eternal life. By being Christian. Not damnationist.

2 Likes

“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” -Colossians 4:6

This is a place for gracious dialogue about science and faith. Please read our FAQ/Guidelines before posting.