Is reincarnation a theme in the bible?

I have little knowledge of the subject itself so i figured it would make a good thread.
However since im quite invested in history i quite frankly remember Origen making a case for it in some of his works and even claiming that was one of the key teachings however his works were deemed heretical(of course) by the laterChurch
Any ideas works or books maybe would be appreciated

Me definition of reincarnation is far from the buddhist notion,so by reincarnation i mean the metensarkosis to some other body or better putted “rebirth”

1 Like

Not really. Symbolically a few times someone’s is called so and so but it seems to be more like me saying someone really strong is Hercules back again type of stuff.

This would seem to preclude it:

Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment…
Hebrews 9:27

As in coming back as a cockroach?

No not really.Not that kind of reincarnation lol

I think you would have to do better than that .Pointing out a verse can be a tricky slop .I remind you the many contradictions the bible has.If you give me some time to brink back some verses in my mind im sure i could quote one that contradicts yours.

@NickolaosPappas, your question is really vague with no clear explanation of the theme you asked about. So you put all the work on your readers: find the theme, or disprove it, while you merely ask a question. Dale at least gave you a verse with citation. If you would like to show verses that contradict it, go for it. But just saying “No, you are not arguing properly, on my terms,” is no counter-argument.
You haven’t even explained what you mean by “reincarnation.” “No, not that kind,” is not really an explanation of what you mean.
It seems more like someone tossing a bone out to the dogs for the joy of watching them fight over it.

2 Likes

Altered my op a little if thats helpfull

I suppose you missed that part which is fine

Also i suppose people here can show some greater intellect than just counter arguing with verses from the bible .After all we arent all fundemnetalists evangelicals here to do that. So me not wanting to engage further by proposing a counter verse so as to show Dale that “im right” is perfectly fine because that is not my goal . As i said above i havent studied the subject at all and someone just citing a verse and just saying " This is it defacto:" doesnt mean anything to me because it doesnt help much. Now if you wanted to “vent” a little to me because of previous threads i made and other posts ( i know im not likable here and im into peoples throats ) then i understand and its fine :slight_smile:

that’s really interesting! Can you link the Origen notes?

From 1 Cor 15: 51-52, “We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,” refers to how things happen at the resurrection (some have said it refers to babies needing new nappies and new parents–haha!).
Thanks.

51 Behold, I tell you a [a]mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

That’s an interesting peer review from Harvard on Origen. I can post some other resources I have later when I find time. However I dont think I have the original notes. But I can try searching for them although I can’t guarantee success since history is only a hobby of mine and I’m not an academic

1 Like

Matthew 17:10-13 is the usual proof-text for reincarnation. It centers on Elijah and JBap. Dale already posted the normal proof-text hunt against reincarnation. With how malleable scripture is in the face of errors, contradictions and competing theology to many Christians, I don’t think either one necessarily precludes the other.

10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”

11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things.(A) 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come,(B) and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished.(C) In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer(D) at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist

I find the notion of purgatory reasonable. Never been convinced reincarnation is a thing but I know some point to “memories of past lives.”

Edited to add, I suppose it can be said from Matthew’s perspective Elijah never official “died” even though he was gone from the universe.

1 Like

Yeah. It makes more sense now.
The article you shared with Randy clarifies more. Good.

Nah. Actual venting I share with third parties in PMs (perhaps gossip), or in public in threads where people come to condemn our discussions or deign to include “even” women in their home-brewed pseudotheories such as a “universal cosmological model.”

In the wise, yet nearly-unknown words of the high-school-produced musical, “Linie 1”: “Du bist mir meist sympatisch und manchmal auch ein Quall.” (Mostly I find you sympathetic, and sometimes a pain.). While your posts are often bristly, you’re honest about why, and often ask really good questions. I can put up with bristle, when the questions are worth considering. I just thought this OP as OPed was beneath your usual standard, and your replies indicated you were just attempting to rouse the rabble. I’m glad I was wrong. :upside_down_face:

Check out the article. I think it’s a Christian professor as well so you could be more keen to reading it. If you decide to stay you can post resources if you have some .

I will post later again caused now I’m streched thin at the moment.

Ahhh I like seeing that Christian character here in the forum. Really makes me wanna get back :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:(it’s a joke don’t reply on it seriously although it does hold some harsh truth I guess)

I’m pressed for time, too, so I may or may not get back to the article later.

Like I said, you often ask good questions (here make good points). Definitely something for me to work on. Thanks for the motivation.
See you around, Nick.

1 Like

Why not?  

Cause I think it’s stupid and I don’t generally like that view of reincarnation. If you want you can open a thread discussing the matter. But since this is mine I don’t wanna get to that loophole,the reason explained above

I think it’s stupid and I don’t like it are good solid reasons, way more solid than my quote above. ; - )

No need to be snarky because I said that just citing a verse and saying that this is what the whole book says defacto is not the way to go . I think it’s pretty self explanatory . Unless that’s was sarcasm maybe or some joke that I didn’t get because well it’s the internet. If thats the case my apologiesp

Also

Based🤣

That was mild irony, neither snark nor sarcasm.

Ahhh good to know. Anyways it is what it is. Either chime in or you know participate in some way ( you don’t need to post anything anyway) or you can forget this existed🥲