Humor in Science and Theology

I’m beginning to think a good sign of becoming aged is the number of times you need new jokes explained. so old

2 Likes

I need that all the time. Maybe it because I was a nerd as a kid (though I am 51 now). I noticed, though, that I passed the stage of concern in falls. I’ve heard that it goes something like this: If you are under 30 and fall, people laugh; if 31-50, they ask if you’re ok; 51 +, they run in alarm to help you. Last winter, I slipped on a patch of ice, and a 30 something lady with her daughter cried out, “Are you ok?” and ran toward me! Oh, well…

3 Likes

I guess I must be at the age where they just reach for a shovel to cover me up.

2 Likes

Oh, I think you probably look more able than I.

2 Likes

A lady was trying to impress those at the party. “My family’s ancestry is very old,” she boasted. “It dates back to the days of King James.”

Then, turning to a lady sitting quietly in a corner, she asked condescendingly: “How old is your family, my dear?”

“Well,” came back the woman with a quiet smile, “I can’t really say. All our family records were lost in the Flood.”

5 Likes

8 Likes

Here’s the rotated image:

11 Likes

I can’t unsee this…

4 Likes

The only thing missing is a gun rack.

3 Likes

And a Stump Bumper Tricker.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Let’s get ready to rumble?

I watched that and it was awesome! Now we’ll have to see if it accomplished its mission of bumping the asteroid off course.

2 Likes

8 Likes

But wait… what if by bumping the asteroid off course they put it on a new course that results in it crashing into an alien world in an extinction-level event?! O.M.G… Aliens killed the dinosaurs!

2 Likes

Not sure how well this will work it might require you go to Facebook to see it.

Yep that won’t work.

Imgur

Sometimes a naive reading of scripture is just amusing but will lead others to use it to launch an anti apologetics screed. Others will want to insist it is a litmus lest of true believerism. The rest of us can appreciate it as lightly amusing with a dash of irony.

3 Likes

Yeah. I remember asking my mom about this one when I was about 5. I felt permission from that day to at least hold literalism at arm’s length. There is just stuff that isn’t covered in the text.

3 Likes

Well now … actually … as much as we like to pile on YECs here, they would point out (rightly) that the above humor isn’t really correct according to literalistic readings. They would triumphantly point you to Genesis 5:4 where it tells us that after Adam had Seth, he lived eight hundred years and had other sons and daughters.

So … instead of needing to countenance the abominable incest of kids with mom, the situation has now at least improved to … incest with all their sisters! (And the YEC dance of ‘perfect genetics’ explanations then begins right on cue.)

7 Likes

You are right I posted this on a science friendly Christian Facebook group and did indeed hear some of this.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget that Cain married a woman from another territory. Where the heck did she come from? :disguised_face:

2 Likes