Humor in Science and Theology

The American Museum of Natural History web site has a great alternative to the boring “404 page not found” message:

YOU’VE DISCOVERED A NEW SPECIES!

Pagus notfoundii

Please try the navigation or search above, or start from the homepage.

4 Likes

Shame on the evil Roman church!

6 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is an inside joke for which I am decidedly an outsider. (Or else I’m just being above average dense.)

1 Like

I think it’s Latin? “amus” is the first-person plural ending of some verbs… if I remember correctly from high school, which gets longer ago every year. :wink:

2 Likes

The words are taken from the Gloria, which is part of the mass. Catholic haters should not get their knickers in a knot, since other denominations (e.g. Anglicans) use it in worship. As a matter of fact, most Christians sing the carol “Angels We have heard on High” which has part of the Gloria in it. (Maybe they’ll rip out the pages from their hymnals now!)

Latin:

Gloria in excelsis Deo
et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis.
Laudamus te,
benedicimus te,
adoramus te,
glorificamus te,
gratias agimus tibi propter magnam gloriam tuam,
Domine Deus, Rex caelestis,
Deus Pater omnípotens.
Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe,
Domine Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris,
qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis;
qui tollis peccata mundi, suscipe deprecationem nostram.
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris, miserere nobis.
Quoniam tu solus Sanctus, tu solus Dominus, tu solus Altissimus,
Jesu Christe, cum Sancto Spiritu: in gloria Dei Patris. Amen.

English:

Glory be to God on high
And in earth peace, goodwill towards men,
We praise thee, we bless thee,
we worship thee, we glorify thee,
we give thanks to thee, for thy great glory
O Lord God, heavenly King,
God the Father Almighty.
O Lord, the only-begotten Son, Jesu Christ;
O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father,
that takest away the sins of the world,
have mercy upon us.
Thou that takest away the sins of the world,
have mercy upon us.
Thou that takest away the sins of the world,
receive our prayer.
Thou that sittest at the right hand of God the Father,
have mercy upon us.
For thou only art holy;
thou only art the Lord;
thou only, O Christ,
with the Holy Ghost,
art most high
in the glory of God the Father.
Amen.

We have sung masses (Choral Eucharists) in my church (don’t worry, I’m not Catholic)

One of my favorite settings of the Gloria is Vivaldi’s Gloria In D Major RV 589. It is too long for liturgical use, but it sure is beautiful! It’s worth a listen.

Gloria In D Major RV 589

4 Likes

Doh! Moose = the -mus ending on each of those. I would not make any money on Jeopardy.

4 Likes

Me neither. Beautiful, @beaglelady. Very neat. Thanks.

New landmark decision from Supreme Court okays the death penalty for those who comment on articles without having read them! You can read all about it here. [And yes - I did read the article in its entirety!]

I wonder if there are any legal proceedings we could initiate for certain forum violations?

2 Likes

I know this is an old post, I just wanted to say thanks for posting it though! It has a lot of good material. My Dad does not like that I am a Theist Evolutionist and I’m sure that we’re not yet done discussing it. :pensive::pensive:

3 Likes

Same here. Since my family is mostly SDA (YECs and anti-evolution to the core), I am like the weird one in that aspect.

2 Likes

14 Likes

This sounds similar to the humorous theory (I think from Douglass Adams) that every time somebody has explained the universe, the entire universe is immediately deleted and replaced by an even more confusing one. And the running corollary with that theory is that this has already happened many times.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Great insight!

1 Like

12 Likes

https://gomerblog.com/2018/12/christmas-presents-subspecialty/

1 Like

3 Likes

One of the reasons I brave the caustic Twitter environment is that I really like a few joke accounts. Here is one I saw today! :rofl::rofl:

9 Likes