Human Bodies Remodeled for a Life at Sea

“We are the products of evolution, and not just evolution that occurred billions of years ago. As scientists peer deeper into our genes, they are discovering instances of human evolution in just the past few thousand years”.

We are a work in progress, it seems. Read the article by the excellent science write Carl Zimmer. It was published in the NY Times on April 19, 2018.

Bodies Remodeled for a Life at Sea

5 Likes

That’s… astounding.
Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

The paper at Cell is here:

I am happy as always to provide a PDF on request.

5 Likes

Excellent heads-up !!!

Here’s a paragraph from the article!

“Some researchers suspect the Bajau only began diving to great depths when a market for sea cucumbers opened up in China in the 1600s. Or perhaps the adaptation began thousands of years earlier, at the end of the Ice Age, when rising sea levels turned the region around Indonesia into islands.”

2 Likes

Carl Zimmer is an excellent science writer, wouldn’t you agree @sfmatheson? In addition to his column, he has also written many books. I have read his:

• “Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature’s Most Dangerous Creatures”

• “Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain–and How it Changed the World”

Carl Zimmer has a facebook page and you can follow him. (Select the Carl Zimmer who is a journalist and author)

His latest book, to be released 5.29.18, is She Has Her Mother’s Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity.

I recommended it to my library and they are getting it!

2 Likes

Aye, Carl is among the best of the best, along with Ed Yong. Both write well, and choose topics of interest, but don’t make the errors of fact or emphasis that too often plague others in the field.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.