How to Safely Open Churches?

Thank you. I appreciate that.

We met in person today for the first time. I think it was handled well. We are only having one Sunday service. Families were seated 6 ft apart. Most people wore masks. Every other pew was taped off. Chairs were placed in the lobby for overflow. Classrooms were available for 65+ year olds or other at risk folks, though I don’t know if anyone used that option. People were encouraged to bring their own Lord’s Supper emblems, but there was also some available in individual cups to pick up on your way in. Deacons seated everyone and dismissed everyone in an orderly manner - no congregating in the building to talk. Building A/C was turned off, and we did not sing inside. After the inside portion of the service (prayer, Lord’s Supper, short sermon, prayer), we went outside and sang a couple hymns, appropriately distanced. It was so nice to sing together again. Didn’t even care that it was sprinkling at the time.

Bible classes will continue to be online for now, and we aren’t having a Sunday evening service like we normally would.

People are encouraged to stay out of the building for a few days after the service. Then it will be cleaned as normal.

We don’t do coffee hour type stuff or have children’s services or staffed nurseries (parents care for their own children during services), so those weren’t issues for us.

We visited in the parking lot afterward, still socially distanced and wearing masks.

I don’t know how the huge churches will handle things. We had about 160 at our service today, but we have the room to spread out in the lobby and classrooms. I felt reasonably safe with the precautions that were made.

3 Likes

Steve. This is going to give me nightmares. :rofl:

2 Likes

Been watching The Thing lately?

1 Like

Have you heard about the anthrax and other pathogens lurking in the melting permafrost? I’ve said before that this pandemic is a dress rehearsal for the bad stuff to come.

Of course I have not! Just been quietly holing up in my house like I was told and trying to avoid terrifying news like this! haha!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.