While the various threads have touched on the subject, I thought I would open a thread to specifically discuss how the Covid 19 crisis will affect your local church. I realize much is unknown, and predictions are seldom correct, but envisioning the future can sometimes help us plan and cope with change, knowing those plans will need constant revision.
The church I attend has been healthy and growing, with attendance any given Sunday being about 700 in morning services, but a fair amount of debt on a fairly new facility.
Just off the top of my head, I would predict:
- A loss in attendance of 10-15%
- A loss in funds of 20% or so due to attendance loss and economic downturn
- This will require letting go several support and several ministerial staff.
- Non-core ministries will be curtailed.
- The church schools will be hard pressed to survive due to families being less able to afford private school and some moving to homeschooling.
- On a positive note, volunteerism may improve in those who remain.
So, what do you think? These are pretty short term effects, but I wonder if long term there will be an attendance loss in Sunday services as people get used to church on the computer or small home groups.