Hi, it's Brittany. We went to church today

Hey, everyone. I wanted to give you all an update. I said a few days ago that I would find a church to visit this Sunday. And I did! My baby and I went to the local Episcopal church. I had never been to an Episcopal church before, so it was a new experience.
I had a good time though. They were all nice. Everyone introduced themselves to us. A woman sat with us basically the entire service to talk us through it. She only got up to do communion. I’ve only been to Baptist churches before, so I didn’t understand a lot of the terminology. But I could feel the spirit.
I think my baby enjoyed herself most of all. She was in rare form. They thought her antics were funny though lol. They invited me back but I don’t know if I’ll go. I want to go, but I don’t want my baby to be a distraction. It was a good experience though.

16 Likes

A lot of churches don’t care about kids distracting. It’s normally just us being worried about it. The congregation I go to kids stay in the entire service. On Wednesday is when we have kid classes and so on. But Sundays it’s the entire congregation sitting together. Kids cry all the time. We all know kids sometimes cry or do something else but it’s ok. I think it’s mostly on Hollywood where we see crying kids being shushed or something. It’s ultimately up to you but sounds like it was nice and will probably be nicer each time as you learn the denominational jargon and get to know the people.

1 Like

I prayed this morning you would find a church to go to. Thank you for letting us know. How lovely there was a “guide” for the service. I would be lost, too.
I hope your week is better and you get some answers to important questions soon.
Praying for you this week.

4 Likes

Good to hear! I’m glad it was an encouraging visit. I’m sure that’s a big change from what you’re used to – I’ve only ever attended Baptist churches too, but appreciate the liturgy of the more “high church” denominations. I am often hyper-aware of the noises my kids make when I’m in a situation that requires some solemnity, but I think most people are very understanding that babies cry and babble and it’s just part of who they are. Sometimes I perceive people looking at me as disapproval when it’s probably nothing more than curiosity at the sound (especially if there aren’t a lot of other kids there). Some churches I’ve been to have a nursery or a “cry room” where you can take a fussy child to and still hear the sermon, but not all are set up that way.

4 Likes

The people were all really nice about it. They were saying that it’s nice to have a baby in the church. I just worry that it would get nerve wracking for them after a while. At one point, Darbie wandered over to the stage while the reverend was speaking. She smiled and laughed when she saw her. She had already introduced herself to us before she went up. I didn’t know she was the reverend though.
Darbie sat on the edge of the stage and she asked her if she could sit beside her. Then she actually got down and sat beside Darbie on the edge of the stage lol. Then Darbie actually climbed on the stage and walked further back to where the deacons we’re knelt praying. I was trying to call her back but she was on a roll.
Surrounding the stage was a rail with velvet cushions going around. Apparently it’s where they kneel to take communion. Well, Darbie swiped one of the cushions and tried to push it over the modesty barrier to a teenage girl she had roped into playing with her. I say roped, but the girl introduced herself after the service. She said she had been going through a bad time lately, but that Darbie had made her day. That definitely made me happy to hear.
They have coffee and Bible study in a downstairs room after the service. They invited us to come. They had cake and popcorn. And they found some chocolate milk and juice for Darbie. I left before Bible study was over. When I stood up they waved bye and I thanked them for having us. And I apologized about her running around during the service. That’s when this one guy said not to worry about it. He said he’s sure the people at home were entertained. And that’s how I found out the service was streamed :0.

4 Likes

I appreciate your prayers. I’m sure that’s what led me to church this morning. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great place that does not mind at all. After all Jesus said be like the kids not the old people lol. It great that your daughter enjoyed it to.

2 Likes

Hi! They had a foam square play mat set up right in front of the modesty barrier. There were toys, crayons, and what not. I was surprised that their children’s area was right at the front of the church. But I also kind of liked that they don’t just stick their kids to the side. I say kids, but Darbie was actually the only small child there. There were two teenagers.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s true lol. I just wouldn’t want to become a nuisance. They’re going to be having services all week. I don’t know if they would appreciate an extra on stage all week lol. I tried to grab her, but she yelled and screamed. I figured it would be better to let her wander than let her have a fit. No one complained though.

1 Like

Watch from 42:00 minutes to see the chaos lol. They were great about it though.

4 Likes

Glad to hear… I haven’t got time to watch it now, but I will! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In my experience, Episcopalians don’t really care if there are fussy babies in the service. It’s part of the culture.

7 Likes

Too funny. She really wanted that red cushion xd. They did not seem bothered. Plus she said she likes babies and so she probably really enjoyed it. Especially during covid first year and so many congregations switched to online or to outside in the grass services and kids were all over. If it made it difficult for you though they may have a nursery or something. Looks like a lovely church though. They definitely wanted you to know you are welcomed.

3 Likes

: ) you are in the best of all possible hands. I’m so pleased.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m glad to hear that. They did seem really accepting of kids.

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed the video. I figured you might get a kick out of it lol. I think I will go back. But I’ll do like Laura suggested, and ask them if they have a “cry room”. They don’t have a nursery right now because of Covid. But their building is huge with lots of different parts. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind finding a quiet place for me to take the baby when she gets too “energetic” lol.

3 Likes

Thank you all for encouraging me to go to church. I’m definitely glad I went. They are all very nice people.

2 Likes

I’m glad you had a positive experience. Isn’t the Palm Sunday liturgy beautiful?

3 Likes

Hi. Yes, it is beautiful.

1 Like

Good for you Brittany. Glad you are happy!

2 Likes