Genesis first, or science first?

Genesis first, or science first? I don’t see why we have to make one first and the other second.

I totally agree! Yes, when we insist that “You must agree with me because God agrees with me!.”, that is exactly the kind of self-aggrandizing misuse of God’s name that should shame us. And it is so often accompanied by the all-or-nothing, slippery-slope fallacy: “If you don’t agree with me that that is what the Bible means, then you might as well throw out the entire Bible!” Incredibly, a lot of people sound that kind of bombast convincing.

The Bible says that we are to let our “yes be yes and our no be no.” To add to it, “Thus saith the Lord” is blasphemous and a misuse of God’s name. It is saying that “My thoughts are God’s thoughts----so how dare you disobey me!”

Yes, Lynn, I think you nailed it.

3 Likes

i don’t make no such argument. But if someone takes a stance that does not find confirmation with science or vice versa, there is a dilemma…

Please give us a real example of where someone has such a stance. Thanks

That is why one needs philosophy to act as an arbiter between the two.

Common ancestry for example

Do you dispute that you and I have a common ancestor not more than 30 generations ago?
And that we both have a common ancestor that lived in somewhere in EurAsia 2000 years ago?
And that we both have a common ancestor that had Neanderthal relatives?
And that we both have a common ancestor that lived in Africa a long time ago?

Genesis first.

Science second.

My interpretation of Genesis third.

Times the Bible has been wrong: 0.

Times my interpretation has been wrong: more than 0.

If you believe God created Adam and Eve as first human beings, separate from plants, fish, birds, bacteria etc. , we are fully in agreement. If you believe we have a common ancestor with fungi, bacteria, archea, and unicellular eukaryotes, than you disagree with me, and Genesis.
What is your stance , and why ?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.